Captain Haddock
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by RachelSophia)

I hate drugs. A LOT. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
There is when your irrational emotions form the basis of your political stance. You hate drugs? Great. Don't take them. But why do you feel the need to control what other people do?
Stiff Little Fingers
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by teh_niarr)
I JUST CAN'T HANDLE ALL THE SCIENCE, I MUST JUST REACT WITHOUT THINKING!

p.s. the law is always right.
No it isn't. The law is an ass, and often nonsense used to control people.

Again... read what i said. I READ THAT WHOLE POST. I didn't feel the need to then argue the same points i have on this forum AGAIN to another person. It is already clearly written if he wants to see it.

So you're saying that by making them illegal and slightly harder to obtain means they are used more? and if they were legal and sold in stores people would use them less? I don't think so...
Actually, that can be the case. I hate to sound like a broken record, but prohibition in America did nothing to stop people drinking.

When someone is working and goes off on their break to smoke... if they were legal that person could go off and smoke weed in their break. come back and be laughing at a stapler for 10 minutes. That really sounds like the future i want to be in! Unless you're also saying there should be a law against smoking in your work breaks and before work... which you can't do.
Or alternatively you could just say you couldn't smoke cannabis at work - just as we can't drink at work despite it being legal.
TheJ0ker
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by gagaslilmonsteruk)
Amy Winehouse.
You realise Amy Winehouse died from alcohol poisoning?
RachelSophia
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
There is when your irrational emotions form the basis of your political stance. You hate drugs? Great. Don't take them. But why do you feel the need to control what other people do?
I'm not? haha
I'm giving my view in a discussion on the internet. Where's the harm in that?
WhatsHisFace
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Again... read what i said. I READ THAT WHOLE POST. I didn't feel the need to then argue the same points i have on this forum AGAIN to another person. It is already clearly written if he wants to see it.

So you're saying that by making them illegal and slightly harder to obtain means they are used more? and if they were legal and sold in stores people would use them less? I don't think so...
When someone is working and goes off on their break to smoke... if they were legal that person could go off and smoke weed in their break. come back and be laughing at a stapler for 10 minutes. That really sounds like the future i want to be in! Unless you're also saying there should be a law against smoking in your work breaks and before work... which you can't do.
And the dealers you just described are exactly the kind of people i was describing earlier in this thread that you told me was ignorant... oh my god :facepalm:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDt8NXLs1ws

http://www.cedro-uva.org/lib/reinarman.dutch.html

That's really your reason for why drugs should be illegal?? We could be taking shots of Everclear on our break, can't we? There's nothing stopping us, except, you know, that part of your brain that tells you to be responsible and to self restrain yourself.

And good job trying to make me look like the idiot about the drug dealers when you're the one that wants to keep their salaries...
teh_niarr
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)
No it isn't. The law is an ass, and often nonsense used to control people.
I know. There's this thing called sarcasm...
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by teh_niarr)
I know. There's this thing called sarcasm...
apologies, sarcasm doesn't travel well over the internet...
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm not? haha
I'm giving my view in a discussion on the internet. Where's the harm in that?
You support laws that say people can't put this and that into their own bodies without going to jail; that's the same thing as wanting to control people. You want to criminalise huge numbers of mostly young people because you hold an irrational hatred for 'drugs'.
RachelSophia
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Captain Haddock)
You support laws that say people can't put this and that into their own bodies without going to jail; that's the same thing as wanting to control people. You want to criminalise huge numbers of mostly young people because you hold an irrational hatred for 'drugs'.
I wouldnt call it 'irrational' but you dont know me so that opinion is worthless. Im sure there's a few laws you agree with and I dont. Wouldnt say that you're controlling because you believe in something different. That doesnt make any sense at all. Bore someone else

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S
lbsf1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't see any rational reason why cannabis should illegal. Even more so for a goverment like ours where they only care about themselves where they would save the police so much work and could make so much more in tax. Look at Amsterdamn, weed there is no big deal, hence you don't have dealers for it, no violence around it, going out for a spliff is comparable to going out for a pint.

I do also think that other drugs should be legalised however I do understand peoples problems with these. No country has got rid of drugs laws yet so it is an unknown what the result will be, however if it is only one country they drug tourism will mean that the "novelty" of them being legal will not wear off as there will constantly be a new wave of people coming in.
Captain Haddock
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldnt call it 'irrational' but you dont know me so that opinion is worthless. Im sure there's a few laws you agree with and I dont. Wouldnt say that you're controlling because you believe in something different. That doesnt make any sense at all. Bore someone else

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S
Well I've yet to see you rationalise your hatred for drugs whatsoever. All you've done is say they are 'stupid' and they 'freak you out', and then lash out at anyone who tries to offer a different viewpoint. So if you don't think your hatred is irrational you're not doing a very good job of showing us how it isn't. And anyway, even if you can rationalise your blanket hatred for drugs why should your personal feelings have any bearing on my life in the form of anti-drug laws?
glousck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lbsf1)
I can't see any rational reason why cannabis should illegal. Even more so for a goverment like ours where they only care about themselves where they would save the police so much work and could make so much more in tax. Look at Amsterdamn, weed there is no big deal, hence you don't have dealers for it, no violence around it, going out for a spliff is comparable to going out for a pint.

I do also think that other drugs should be legalised however I do understand peoples problems with these. No country has got rid of drugs laws yet so it is an unknown what the result will be however if it is only one country they drug tourism will mean that the "novelty" of them being legal will not wear off as there will constantly be a new wave of people coming in.
Actually Portugal has decriminalised all drugs, meaning they are not competely legal but if you only have a certain amount on you (e.g. 5g of weed) you won't face a criminal record as it's your own personal use and not for sale. Here is the (very brief and general) outcome of decriminilisation in Portugal:

1 - Before decriminilisation, Portugal had some of the highest rates of hard drug usage in the EU - these rates have now in fact dropped not only to an average level but to an outstanding level. Statistics of how many over the age of 15 in Portugal use weed: 10% (the lowest in the EU now). This statistic for America, where drug laws are more strict: 39.8%.

2 - As there is no jail time for drug users now, the funds that are saved from this now go towards drug therapy. In my opinion this is an excellent step forward as there are now less drug addicts in Portugal - what is going to help them in the long run, given drug therapy like this that has been proven to work or being thrown in a jail cell for a few months only to remain a drug addict? By keeping drugs illegal, we don't have the money to spend on effective drug therapy for addicts as it's being spend on the drugs on war which will never be won. The #1 health problem in Portugal of drug addiction and the crimes that rose from it has been achieved in just a decade.

3 - HIV rates through injections fell by 17% due to heroin/ketamine/etc addicts who injected being effectively treated with. Not only does this show that decriminilisation can help with drug addiction but also with the prevention of HIV.

Just thought I'd put this out there as I agreed with your point and just wanted to et you know the effects of a country where decriminilisation has been successful . Also hope that those who think all drugs should be kept illegal read this as it shows that giving criminal records/fighting a war on drugs isn't the best option.
DudeRugs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by glousck)
Actually Portugal has decriminalised all drugs, meaning they are not competely legal but if you only have a certain amount on you (e.g. 5g of weed) you won't face a criminal record as it's your own personal use and not for sale. Here is the (very brief and general) outcome of decriminilisation in Portugal:

1 - Before decriminilisation, Portugal had some of the highest rates of hard drug usage in the EU - these rates have now in fact dropped not only to an average level but to an outstanding level. Statistics of how many over the age of 15 in Portugal use weed: 10% (the lowest in the EU now). This statistic for America, where drug laws are more strict: 39.8%.

2 - As there is no jail time for drug users now, the funds that are saved from this now go towards drug therapy. In my opinion this is an excellent step forward as there are now less drug addicts in Portugal - what is going to help them in the long run, given drug therapy like this that has been proven to work or being thrown in a jail cell for a few months only to remain a drug addict? By keeping drugs illegal, we don't have the money to spend on effective drug therapy for addicts as it's being spend on the drugs on war which will never be won. The #1 health problem in Portugal of drug addiction and the crimes that rose from it has been achieved in just a decade.

3 - HIV rates through injections fell by 17% due to heroin/ketamine/etc addicts who injected being effectively treated with. Not only does this show that decriminilisation can help with drug addiction but also with the prevention of HIV.

Just thought I'd put this out there as I agreed with your point and just wanted to et you know the effects of a country where decriminilisation has been successful . Also hope that those who think all drugs should be kept illegal read this as it shows that giving criminal records/fighting a war on drugs isn't the best option.
That's irrelevant, because people will just get high at lunch time and start laughing at staplers. Is that the type of world you want to live in?
glousck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DudeRugs)
That's irrelevant, because people will just get high at lunch time and start laughing at staplers. Is that the type of world you want to live in?
Can't tell if sarcastic or not so if srs:

That doesn't happen in Portugal, and in the UK people don't get drunk in their lunch breaks/lunch times at college because they know it'll interfere with their work, it's unprofessional and they're likely to be suspended or given a warning. Friends and acquaintances of mine that smoke cannabis have never got high before/during work/school because they know of the consequences.
es.c
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From the public's point of view; who'd want to live in a neighbourhood where drugs are all over the place? You'd end up attracting thugs and violence would break out, I for one wouldn't feel very secure. You may as well make it legal to carry knives in public if you want to allow drugs
Lintu93
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As it's been repeated in this thread, I've got no problem with people who USE drugs - I'm just not a fan of the people who ABUSE drugs.

Saying that, I'm not comfortable with the human cost of getting the drugs from Mexico/Afghanistan/wherever to the UK - the gangs, the murders, the drug dealers who profit from the gangs/murders etc... A solution to this would be to legalise drugs but at the same time I'm not entirely comfortable with the idea of that, as I think it would just make it easier for people to start abusing drugs.

From my own experience I have another concern about legalising drugs... I was high as a kite after about half a centimetre of cocaine and personally I found it a scary experience. If it had been legal then I reckon I would've taken more (as the "legal" status would have lessened my worried about the dangers of it) - and it scares me to think of what would have happened if I had taken more.
glousck
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by es.c)
From the public's point of view; who'd want to live in a neighbourhood where drugs are all over the place? You'd end up attracting thugs and violence would break out, I for one wouldn't feel very secure. You may as well make it legal to carry knives in public if you want to allow drugs
Please read post 154.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by es.c)
I'm gonna quote Bill Hicks here:
Let's suppose you go to a ball game and someone gets into a fight, are they drunk or are they smoking pot?
That is the one and only correct answer, tell them what they've won Johnny. I have never seen two people on pot get in a fight because it is ****ing IMPOSSIBLE. "Hey, buddy!" "Hey, what?" "Ummmmmmm...." End of argument
This legalise drugs and suddenly society goes to **** is complete nonsense, you just need to look at Portugal or the Netherlands to see that legalising drugs doesn't turn the country into a mass of thugs and murderers.
es.c
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Alofleicester)
I'm gonna quote Bill Hicks here:

This legalise drugs and suddenly society goes to **** is complete nonsense, you just need to look at Portugal or the Netherlands to see that legalising drugs doesn't turn the country into a mass of thugs and murderers.
Its not the people taking the drugs, its the people dealing them. People get addicted and people owe dealers money.
You're a little lost with the Portugal scenario; they decriminalized it because they knew jail wouldn't help prevent drug use. The country is still trying to stop drugs, as the country should, and Portugal offer rehab style therapy instead of prison which was effective. They didn't decriminalize it for the hell of it. There are reasons why drugs are prohibited in the majority of countries.
Stiff Little Fingers
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by es.c)
Its not the people taking the drugs, its the people dealing them. People get addicted and people owe dealers money.
And if you legalise it then there won't be dealers, because you'll just to be able to buy it at a chemist, or supermarket - like drugs that are currently legal.

You're a little lost with the Portugal scenario; they decriminalized it because they knew jail wouldn't help prevent drug use. The country is still trying to stop drugs, as the country should, and Portugal offer rehab style therapy instead of prison which was effective. They didn't decriminalize it for the hell of it.
And they'd be right in saying that jail doesn't work - so why the **** do people still insist it's a good thing they're illegal?
Oh, and no, they aren't trying to stop drug use, but drug abuse - there is a massive difference between use and abuse.

There are reasons why drugs are prohibited in the majority of countries
Really, what are they?
In particular hallucinogenic drugs - they cause minimal harm, and have been responsible for massive advancements (the structure of DNA was discovered on DNA, Tesla was tripping when he visualised his alternating-current motor, Steve Jobs ranked doing LSD as one of the three most important things he ever did) - why are they illegal?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.88%
No I haven't decided yet (49)
21.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.14%

Watched Threads