Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Should he be executed? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Should he be executed?
    Yes
    31.33%
    No
    68.67%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    What's the use in being a misanthrope if no one is around to hear your clever insults, eh?
    I know ... its like my entire life is sophie's choice writ large.

quite a tragedy actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I know ... its like my entire life is sophie's choice writ large.

quite a tragedy actually.
    On the bright side, you can always be counted on for a seemingly random outside reference.

ReputationRep:
    no, i don't think he should be. but the rest of family was calling for his blood. i feel so liberal compared to them.

ReputationRep:
    If i was just given a list of his crimes on a piece of paper i would say yes, but seeing as the death penalty wouldn't really but a punishment for him, lock him in solitary confinement for life I say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OakBeans)
    Yes it sends out a message of resolve. Timothy McVeigh was executed so why not Muslim extremists? The 'shoe bomber' should have been exectued years ago, the people on that plane must have been scared stiff.
    you obviously don't think with your head. It was an attempted murder, not actual murder. Hence, the charge decreases.

ReputationRep:
    For anyone interested, Alan Dershowitz wrote a piece on the defense strategy for the capital portion of the trial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cubanarmy)
    Should the terrorist who is being tried in America be executed, the only guy being tried for the 9/11 attacks, don't know his name? I say yes.

No, as it would simply make him a Martyr to his "cause"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorkHouse)
    No, as it would simply make him a Martyr to his "cause"
    That is a terrible method to decide punishment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    That is a terrible method to decide punishment.
    Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand?

ReputationRep:
    Pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand?
    You advocate basing an individual's punishment on what the reaction of others is anticipated to be.

ReputationRep:
    in the case of terrorism yes! Isn't that justified? seeing as the crime he commited or was an accessory to -was terrorism.... the reaction of others DOES need to be taken into account... take the example of the Mirror's (newspaper) decision to publish the fake Iraqi abuse photos. Servicemen were killed as a result of those photographs being published...

ReputationRep:
    in the case of terrorism yes! Isn't that justified? seeing as the crime he commited or was an accessory to -was terrorism.... the reaction of others DOES need to be taken into account... take the example of the Mirror's (newspaper) decision to publish the fake Iraqi abuse photos. Servicemen were killed as a result of those photographs being published...
    Ah, but we're talking about the justice system. That means that I can evade certain penalties if I just get enough people to say that they'll be so outraged by my death that they'll harm others. What if they then say that imprisoning me will lead to terrorism? Should I be set free?

So much for equal treatment before the law...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    You know you're in trouble when your defence lawyer says:
    "confine him to a miserable existence until he dies and give him... the long slow death of a common criminal".

ReputationRep:
    Not when said lawyer's only hope has been the "for God's sake don't make a martyr of him" line.

In fact, that's a pretty good defence. Never mind the Capital Punishment argument for the moment.

Assuming he is found guilty, Zacarias Moussaoui is an accomplice to mass, and I mean seriously mass, murder. Would you do what a murderer wanted you to? Of course not. So why pander to his wish for a glorious end? Why not, instead, deny him the very blaze of glory he craves? This is one case where, incredibly, there IS a fate worse than death. So why not inflict it?

ReputationRep:
    I was kidding, I know WHY he's saying it, it's just amusing that he is.

Anyway, he's already been found so guilty of so much, the only decision now is death or life imprisonment with no opportunity for parole, ever.

Mass murderers should receive the correct penalty under the law, and in this case, that is death. Who cares what they want, why should he escape the penalty he rightfully deserves because he wants it. Life imprisonment is NOT a fate worse than death in legal terms, and he deserves the worst fate possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xzcplvijg-sadfuvbkeb)
    Its people like you the world could really do without.
    What, people who vehemently dislike terrorists? Uh, are you a Muslim or something? It's the goddamn TERRORISTS the world could do without! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonathanH)
    I was kidding, I know WHY he's saying it, it's just amusing that he is.

Anyway, he's already been found so guilty of so much, the only decision now is death or life imprisonment with no opportunity for parole, ever.

Mass murderers should receive the correct penalty under the law, and in this case, that is death. Who cares what they want, why should he escape the penalty he rightfully deserves because he wants it. Life imprisonment is NOT a fate worse than death in legal terms, and he deserves the worst fate possible.
    This has gone round and round. Legally, yes, he should get the death penalty. Personally I don't think anyone should, but in terms of this particular case and that particular legal system I am forced, reluctantly, to conclude that he "ought", haha, to die. Happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atomik)
    What, people who vehemently dislike terrorists? Uh, are you a Muslim or something? It's the goddamn TERRORISTS the world could do without! :rolleyes:
    Why should it make a blind bit of difference if someone is a Muslim or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    Happy?
    No, not really, but it was always only a very slim chance that this topic would affect my happiness levels in any meaningful way.

ReputationRep:
    Not like the John Prescott Stomach-Churn thread.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.