Do you atheists ever feel empty? Watch

danny111
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SummitOfReason)
Do you ever think that if you are going to accept life and death for face value and come to terms with the harsh realities of life without seeking further meaning, as an atheist does, that you have to numb your emotions slightly?

For me I'm a really emotional person but smart enough to know that God probably doesn't exist. Being emotional I find it hard to come to terms with the harsh realities of life; realities which the religious have ready made answers for.

I have a zest for life and lots of dreams. I hate the thought of death putting an end to that and I hate the thought of it putting an end to my loved ones... the only comforting solution in the face of death seems to be to look for God. Otherwise it's hard to deal with.

Am I alone in feeling this way? How do you atheists deal with this stuff?

EDIT: Perhaps I didn't make this initially clear but what I was particularly wondering about today is how atheists cope with death. Yes, it is a long way off for most of us on here, but could you offer any perspectives about how you deal with the death of a loved one or the fact you will die having not done things you could have?
Oh get lost. There are plenty of brilliant minds out there who believe in God. Even at CERN there are theists. Some people just have faith (I bet sometime in the future they will find a gene for it like they found one for say alcoholics).

Stop being so arrogant.
garfeeled
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Yasmin54)
What about when all these things are gone?? they are only temporary, what next??:confused:
Certain of my goal are permanent, such as try to help people as much as possible, a desire to learn as much as possible. I also would like to think that i always have friends
Dmon1Unlimited
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by pg_maths)
well the problem is that you will not gain all the info in your lifetime, so you'll be perpetually on the fence
thats what agnosticism is... youll never get the info...

but that doesnt mean you are on the fense... agnosticism does not mean you are unsure or dont know or somewhere in the middle...

you can be an agnostic and be atheist (like me), you can be an agnostic and a theist... agnostic isnt a seperate category to theism/atheism, it is just a characteristic...

i acknowledge that there is no evidence disproving/proving god... i acknowledge that there is a possibility (emphasis on possibility, not to be confused with saying fact) that god may exist... despite that, i still dont think god exists
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dmon1Unlimited)
thats what agnosticism is... youll never get the info...

but that doesnt mean you are on the fense... agnosticism does not mean you are unsure or dont know or somewhere in the middle...

you can be an agnostic and be atheist (like me), you can be an agnostic and a theist... agnostic isnt a seperate category to theism/atheism, it is just a characteristic...
you can't be both agnostic and atheist, don't be silly
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by garfeeled)
Certain of my goal are permanent, such as try to help people as much as possible, a desire to learn as much as possible. I also would like to think that i always have friends
hehehehe Yes I suppose it is always nice to think we have friends, but I mean like when you're dead and incapable of anything really, or is that ever really the case?? (Don't suppose you can have friends visiting each other when they're dead) Nice thought though
Kaiser MacCleg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well...it does mean that you don't know. But yes, it doesn't mean you're necessarily a perpetual fence sitter.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you can be and i am :lolwut:
dont fall for the misconception

(Original post by Kaiser MacCleg)
Well...it does mean that you don't know. But yes, it doesn't mean you're necessarily a perpetual fence sitter.
my bad, misused the "dont know"
but hopefully everyone still understands what i meant, my post should still be valid haha
Kaiser MacCleg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes you can. Read up.

Agnosticism/gnosticism = concerned with knowledge of whether gods exist or not (and sometimes whether any such knowledge is attainable).
Atheism/theism = concerned with belief, or the lack of the same, in gods.

Belief and knowledge aren't the same thing, but as you believe that the only form of knowledge is absolute certainty, I can see where this may confuse you.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yes you can. Read up.

Agnosticism/gnosticism = concerned with knowledge of whether gods exist or not (and sometimes whether any such knowledge is attainable).
Atheism/theism = concerned with belief, or the lack of the same, in gods.

Belief and knowledge aren't the same thing, but as you believe that the only form of knowledge is absolute certainty, I can see where this may confuse you.
Please get a dictionary then get back to me.
Guills on wheels
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
And as long as you don't have absolute proof as to which it is, agnosticism is the only intellectually honest position to take. That doesn't mean you can't believe or withhold belief as you like.
i dont think you understand what you are even saying... obviously either god exists or not, but you cant prove either... hence 'might'
To be honest, I was probably just playing devils advocate. It's 12:20 AM. I'm not going to be logical
garfeeled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hehehehe Yes I suppose it is always nice to think we have friends, but I mean like when you're dead and incapable of anything really, or is that ever really the case?? (Don't suppose you can have friends visiting each other when they're dead) Nice thought though
to quote Betrand Russell
"when i am dead i shall rot and nothing will be left of my ego"
dendodge
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm perfectly happy with the idea of my biological functions coming to an end some day. I hate the idea of eternal life. I'd get so bored...

I know and accept that all I am is a wonderful, amazing, machine that happened to come out of millennia of awesome biology. And just being around at all is well worth the cost of not being around forever.

If someone gave you the opportunity to do something amazing, on the condition that it would only last 80 years, you'd jump at the opportunity, I'm sure. So why should life be any different?

Knowing I will die some day, and that death really is the end, is one of the things that motivates me to do everything I can to leave the world a better place. I only have one lifetime to do it in, so I'd better work hard at it.
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
to quote Betrand Russell
"when i am dead i shall rot and nothing will be left of my ego"
So that's ALL??:eek::unimpressed:
Id and Ego seek
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Why would they? Their eating behaviour isn't constrained by doctrine.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you do not understand what agnosticism is...
garfeeled
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So that's ALL??:eek::unimpressed:
Personally yes, this life is my only life. I don't believe in a resurrection, judgment or anything of that kind
Kaiser MacCleg
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As you wish.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/belief

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/knowledge

There's plenty of pages that come up on the first page of Google if you care to take five minutes of your time to look into the distinction.
pg_maths
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you do not understand what agnosticism is...
yes I do. Come on, you're not kidding me here. When it suits atheists they argue as agnostics. Atheism is clearly not a defensible position.
Dmon1Unlimited
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
yes I do. Come on, you're not kidding me here. When it suits atheists they argue as agnostics. Atheism is clearly not a defensible position.
no you do not... do not let stubbornness impact your argument, i am an agnostic and an atheist whether you acknowledge it or not... google the damn thing...

where did the bold come from and prove it... do not confuse your opinions with fact...
Yasmin54
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally yes, this life is my only life. I don't believe in a resurrection, judgment or anything of that kind
Hmmm interesting, so this is as good as it gets???
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.82%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.79%
I don't think they'd understand (51)
15.13%
It might lead to more bullying (128)
37.98%
There's nothing they could do (102)
30.27%

Watched Threads