Official AQA GCSE Chemistry Unit 2 24th Janurary NEW SPEC Watch

Poll: What do you think the 6 marker will be?
Electrolysis of (metal) (14)
22.95%
Gas chromotography and Mass spectrometry (19)
31.15%
Atomic structure and bonding (5)
8.2%
Polymers (10)
16.39%
Explaining the process of a experiment (8)
13.11%
Other (please leave your suggestion) (5)
8.2%
This discussion is closed.
zohim
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
What did you put for why do they heat stage 1?
the heat was used to speed up the reaction and allow the particles to have activitation energy so they can collide.
zohim
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davothebigafro)
The only one i'm unsure about is 'why cant scientists answer this question' about the kelp,give 2 reasons
It is a opinioniated based question where you require a persons point of view and there may be social and ethical factors which may influence this. 2 marks right there
grammar12
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For all those who said that the exam was easy our head of chemistry said that the ums would be low around 45 for an a* because there were many questions that weren't obvious and required deeper thought in addition to the fact that he himself (phd in chemistry) got 3 questions wrong (proven by textbook). The exam was ok for me but everyone feels like they did badly. I'm just lucky I revised everything in the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Davothebigafro
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by grammar12)
For all those who said that the exam was easy our head of chemistry said that the ums would be low around 45 for an a* because there were many questions that weren't obvious and required deeper thought in addition to the fact that he himself (phd in chemistry) got 3 questions wrong (proven by textbook). The exam was ok for me but everyone feels like they did badly. I'm just lucky I revised everything in the paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm, really? which questions did he get wrong?
grammar12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The question on ion formula of the solution thing. The question on the precipitate and he made a calculating error in the final question that should've been 32.5 g maximum mass and the percentage was therefore wrong. But he did say that this is the hardest he's seen so all you could be in for 100ums!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rohan97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For the first question would "The reaction produces products which make the solution cloudy" get a mark?
grammar12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It creates a precipitate

Posted from TSR Mobile
sykik
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
what was the answer for the last question, the maximum mass one?
ali_d123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
what was the answer for the last question, the maximum mass one?
32.5g
MajorRisk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by grammar12)
The question on ion formula of the solution thing. The question on the precipitate and he made a calculating error in the final question that should've been 32.5 g maximum mass and the percentage was therefore wrong. But he did say that this is the hardest he's seen so all you could be in for 100ums!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just because he made a calculating error doesn't mean it was hard - cause we all make em I bet he calculated that 2FeCl3 as 2 lots of Iron and 3 Chlorine instead of 2 iron 6 Chlorine....a lot of people I spoke to made that mistake.

I think as long as you do the calculations for % yield right, you'll still get marks. Anyway, in most respects the harder papers (with Low UMS boundaries) are the easiest to do well in. I hope you teacher is right because of that...
Davothebigafro
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
in the electrolysis of sodium iodide, was hydrogen gas formed at the cathode??
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ali_d123)
32.5g
Was it really, didnt they give you the Mr for the whole fecl3 or did they give seperate for fe and cl3
MajorRisk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Davothebigafro)
in the electrolysis of sodium iodide, was hydrogen gas formed at the cathode??
Yeah, cause it is less reactive than sodium, and the more reactive ions stay in the solution. (Also Hydrogen is H+ so thats why it forms at Negative electrode - not sure if that'll be a mark, cause it was a 2 marker I think...
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
didn't the question give you the Mr for the whole fecl3 or did they give seperate for fe and cl3
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
didn't the question give you the Mr for the whole fecl3 or did they give seperate for fe and cl3
someone plaese answer this
MajorRisk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
Was it really, didnt they give you the Mr for the whole fecl3 or did they give seperate for fe and cl3
All they gave you was formula, and Mr of Fe (56) and Mr of Cl (35.5)

You had to work out Mr of 2FeCl3 which was 325. Then divide by Mr of 2Fe which was 112, and then times that by 11.2g which gave you 32.5g.

It was easy to spot the ratio between 112 (Mr) and 11.2 (g) which explains why the answer was 32.5g because the Mr was 325. (Just 10 times bigger)
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MajorRisk)
You had to work out Mr of 2FeCl3 which was 325. Then divide by Mr of 2Fe which was 112, and then times that by 11.2g which gave you 32.5g.

It was easy to spot the ratio between 112 (Mr) and 11.2 (g) which explains why the answer was 32.5g because the Mr was 325. (Just 10 times bigger)
Yh but i thought they gave you the Mr for FeCL3 in the question
MajorRisk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
Yh but i thought they gave you the Mr for FeCL3 in the question
If they did - i must have missed it, but it sounds like 32.5 is correct.

What did you get for it?
sykik
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i got 18.something
ali_d123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sykik)
i got 18.something
you went wrong. i noticed the answer after seeing that it was 10 times bigger.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads