The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Is anyone thinking of/already applied for eastwood? Does anyone know if it's actually like the pictures?
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/types/campus/eastwood/index.html
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/virtual-tour/eastwood-bedroom.html

I vaguely remember visiting on an open day and thinking it looked a lot worse than this but i might be getting mixed up with something else.
Considering the price is it decent enough or does the extra you pay for norwood/westwood make a big difference?
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by c.j.w
Is anyone thinking of/already applied for eastwood? Does anyone know if it's actually like the pictures?
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/ug/accommodation/types/campus/eastwood/index.html
http://www.bath.ac.uk/study/virtual-tour/eastwood-bedroom.html

I vaguely remember visiting on an open day and thinking it looked a lot worse than this but i might be getting mixed up with something else.
Considering the price is it decent enough or does the extra you pay for norwood/westwood make a big difference?

Those pictures make it all look a lot bigger than it is. Remember also the extra you pay for Norwood/Westwood includes cleaners for the kitchen and bathroom. Doesn't sound like a big issue, but everyone in my flat this year has very different ideas of acceptable levels of cleanliness.... and I wouldn't want to have to try and organise cleaning with them.

BIETaPkCcAAbtlq.jpg

A specimen... apparently leaving (and using!) a George Foreman grill like this is acceptable.
Can someone confirm which halls, if any, have no more space?

Thanks
Reply 143
Original post by -Illmatic-
Can someone confirm which halls, if any, have no more space?

Thanks

The following I believe have been confirmed as being over subscribed:

Woodland Court (for First Year Undergraduates)

Polden Court - ensuite shower small and ensuite bath/shower large (for First Year Undergraduates)

Marlborough and Solsbury Court

[size="2"]Osborne House

​Basically apply asap for choice. :P
Reply 144
Original post by How
The following I believe have been confirmed as being over subscribed:

Woodland Court (for First Year Undergraduates)

Polden Court - ensuite shower small and ensuite bath/shower large (for First Year Undergraduates)

Marlborough and Solsbury Court

[size="2"]Osborne House

​Basically apply asap for choice. :P

I think Norwood is also gone
Hey just wondering how good is Westwood? What are the facilities/ people/ life in general like? Any info would be great thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 146
hey I'm a fresher at Bath, living in Westwood, (Quantock - the best one :wink: )
Firstly westwood is really quite cheap compared to the likes of woodland etc, end up saving about £1000 (I should probably know studying maths) for the year which is pretty good, although you do miss out on the double bed and en suite in woodland. It's cleaned every week, if you ask me it's pretty difficult to keep the kitchens immaculate due to 15 people (8 bottom kitchen, 7 top kitchen) so expect some notes off the cleaners!
The people here are awesome, I was lucky to have a house of 15 of us where we all get along really well. On the rare warmer days everyone usually takes their tables and chairs and chills outside which is really social. I think it's the same in solsbury and marlborough and woodland but obviously if you live on the 3rd floor up with no patch of grass outside you miss out on that.
Most people get put off Westwood due to the lack of an en suite but in the 2 terms I've stayed here, I have only had to queue once for the shower only because the other shower was temporarily broken. Plus it the showers are really good! Also it may sound weird but going up to the showers makes it more social since you may pass your flatmates on the way!
Life in Westwood is pretty fun, especially during freshers! There's a lot more I could say about it so just ask, hope this helps
sorry its not very structured haha
Sounds brilliant to me! How's being a maths student too? I applied for that as well and haven't had to much info on maths at Bath itself haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 148
Original post by Dan Jones
hey I'm a fresher at Bath, living in Westwood, (Quantock - the best one :wink: )
Firstly westwood is really quite cheap compared to the likes of woodland etc, end up saving about £1000 (I should probably know studying maths) for the year which is pretty good, although you do miss out on the double bed and en suite in woodland. It's cleaned every week, if you ask me it's pretty difficult to keep the kitchens immaculate due to 15 people (8 bottom kitchen, 7 top kitchen) so expect some notes off the cleaners!
The people here are awesome, I was lucky to have a house of 15 of us where we all get along really well. On the rare warmer days everyone usually takes their tables and chairs and chills outside which is really social. I think it's the same in solsbury and marlborough and woodland but obviously if you live on the 3rd floor up with no patch of grass outside you miss out on that.
Most people get put off Westwood due to the lack of an en suite but in the 2 terms I've stayed here, I have only had to queue once for the shower only because the other shower was temporarily broken. Plus it the showers are really good! Also it may sound weird but going up to the showers makes it more social since you may pass your flatmates on the way!
Life in Westwood is pretty fun, especially during freshers! There's a lot more I could say about it so just ask, hope this helps
sorry its not very structured haha

Original post by Student1234243
Sounds brilliant to me! How's being a maths student too? I applied for that as well and haven't had to much info on maths at Bath itself haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, im also considering westwood and considering firming bath for maths too! So yeah im quite interested what maths at bath is like too. Do you get much support cuz im a bit worried im going to really struggle?
Reply 149
yea you will love it, I have to stress that I'm sure all other accommodation is really good as well, I know a few in woodland and sols & marlborough and they're all enjoying living there too!
Yea bath was my firm choice and scraped it on A*A*B (maths, further maths, physics) where as others (maybe you lot as well) took STEP so wasn't sure how I'd manage with the higher level of maths, but there's lots of support, loads of workshops which loads of people go to during the first term, usually three 2 hour slots in the week to just drop in and help you out with problem sheets, also MASH which are also three 2 hour optional drop in sessions with second year students helping you out. On top of that you will meet and talk to other students on your course and end up helping each other out. Everyone is in the same boat so don't worry.

what are all your offers?
Have you been on open days? unfortunately there's a lot of construction work going on as they're building a brand new accommodation block and restaurant so don't let that put you off, it's a really nice campus.
Ah sounds brilliant!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 151
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows what are the remaining accommodation options left? Haven't firmed by unconditional offer yet so hoping Westwood will still be there when I get to apply for accommodation. :smile:
Reply 152
Original post by 101101
Hi, if you dont mind me asking how many people share facilities in your flat?

There's 19 of us to 3 kitchens, 4 toilets and 5 showers. It's not too bad though, I've never had to wait for a shower.
Reply 153
Don't worry about Westwood being bad to anyone who was worried - I'm in Conygre (which is the best one, not Quantock ;P) and honestly I have never once had to wait for a toilet or a shower, I'm lucky that I'm in the floor between the upstairs kitchen and the bathrooms, means I don't have to treck up and down the house to get anywhere :wink: But honestly, it's sociable, especially in Freshers week, the layout of Westwood makes it so easy to meet others from the other buildings, there are grass areas in front where people sit out in the sun (my flat are outside now whilst I'm typing this :P) and I thought I wouldn't enjoy not having an en suite but I haven't been fussed at all, and people who are rushing to get the more expensive ones with an en suite... a close toilet/shower isn't worth 20 pounds per week in my opinion!
^What he said TOTALLY applies. Seriously, don't waste the money on en suite.

If you like the outdoors and sun in your life, you have the tradeoff between Norwood with our ginormous windows and Westwood/Eastwood with easy outdoor access though.
Are the Westwood /Eastwood buildings still available?
Can't believe no-ones going for Brendon Court!

It's just like Westwood but there's only locks on the external doors and your rooms, so you can freely move between floors and wings - makes everything really sociable and you're not screwed if you don't get on with any of your kitchen group
Original post by Architecture-er
Can't believe no-ones going for Brendon Court!

It's just like Westwood but there's only locks on the external doors and your rooms, so you can freely move between floors and wings - makes everything really sociable and you're not screwed if you don't get on with any of your kitchen group

They're not going for it because it's catered, and the catering situation is dire.
Original post by RibenaRockstar
They're not going for it because it's catered, and the catering situation is dire.

Bloody hell, those were kitchens three years ago and now they're breakout spaces :lolwut:

Probably because we kept getting oven fires and overpopulated kitchen parties
Reply 159
Managed to submit my application for accommodation, listed Westwood and Brendon Court as my first and second choice respectively!

Wonder how long does it take for them to send us the confirmation email? :biggrin:

Latest