Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Welfare change opponents chat a pile of **** watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    Bottom line is that the welfare bill is unsustainable and has to be cut. It's disingenuous to pretend that people won't be worse off as a result, but the welfare bill has to be cut.

As it is, the British sense of entitlement is funded by borrowed money. Sooner or later, borrowed money has to be paid back with interest. It's simply immoral for today's children and young people to be saddled with this national debt by their elders - debt they'll have to pay back with interest through higher taxes and lower public wages.

Really, the NHS should be cut as well, with those who can afford it being forced to have insurance. But no government will dare so we'll keep circling the drain.
    This is true - we will end up like Greece if we keep borrowing indefinitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's not really her house as she hasn't bought it

It sounds reasonable- she should give way to a family in need of a 3bed home
    What do you mean its not her house? explain?

ReputationRep:
    Bottom line is that the welfare bill is unsustainable and has to be cut. It's disingenuous to pretend that people won't be worse off as a result, but the welfare bill has to be cut.

As it is, the British sense of entitlement is funded by borrowed money. Sooner or later, borrowed money has to be paid back with interest. It's simply immoral for today's children and young people to be saddled with this national debt by their elders - debt they'll have to pay back with interest through higher taxes and lower public wages.

Really, the NHS should be cut as well, with those who can afford it being forced to have insurance. But no government will dare so we'll keep circling the drain.
    Make the rich pay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    They collectively have the power to disrupt the lives of millions- no other union has that much power these days
    How does that make them not working class? It makes them very much working class. Working class people enable this country to run. Do you think investment bankers not turning up to work would disrupt the lives of millions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    It's not really her house as she hasn't bought it

It sounds reasonable- she should give way to a family in need of a 3bed home
    Name:  they_live4.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  14.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kibalchich)
    Name:  they_live4.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  14.1 KB
    +1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    +1
    Excellent film innit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomctutor)
    Your right/ability to have children then depends on your bank-balance, income, savings or what! What part of the genes is this coded for, why not go the full whack here- lets talk euthanasia for anyone unemployed or on out-of-work benefits.
    I am totally gobsmacked by your attitude and others supporting these welfare reforms (aka. austerity measures) as having the right to moralize to me about where I should live, if I'm allowed a family, that I should work for my benefits etc.
    Way to make your argument sound absurd by using unreasonable comparisons. What is wrong with waiting until you are financially stable to bring a child into the world? Child is a liability, requires attention 24/7 and costs a LOT so would probably push you into 'poverty' even more. So how about you get your ass into gear, find a job and then reproduce. If I was to have kids I would want them to have the best as opposed to have them just for the sake of it and have both of us struggle to get by. Is it really THATcrazy to suggest that people, who cannot afford to feed themselves or pay for the heating without government support, should not bring in another person into the world who they cannot take care of? There are other sectors - like education - that could use this extra money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dartanoir)
    Way to make your argument sound absurd by using unreasonable comparisons. What is wrong with waiting until you are financially stable to bring a child into the world? Child is a liability, requires attention 24/7 and costs a LOT so would probably push you into 'poverty' even more. So how about you get your ass into gear, find a job and then reproduce. If I was to have kids I would want them to have the best as opposed to have them just for the sake of it and have both of us struggle to get by. Is it really THATcrazy to suggest that people, who cannot afford to feed themselves or pay for the heating without government support, should not bring in another person into the world who they cannot take care of? There are other sectors - like education - that could use this extra money.
    Life ain't like that. The urge to have children is very basic emotional drive, it ain't always amenable to rationality and reason.

Why shouldn't poor people have kids? You'd deny a very basic human drive to people just because they happen to be poor? What sort of monster are you?

ReputationRep:
    Why is the welfare bill unsustainable, so is tax giveaways, nuclear submarines, foreign aid, MPs expenses, education and a zillion other national budgetary expenses, what's so different about the welfare bill that its gotta be chopped- in fact there is good economic sense to increase it - to put money into peoples pockets so they can raise their living standards and get the country back on an even economic keel!

ReputationRep:
    Life ain't like that. The urge to have children is very basic emotional drive, it ain't always amenable to rationality and reason.

Why shouldn't poor people have kids? You'd deny a very basic human drive to people just because they happen to be poor? What sort of monster are you?
    One that will be paying taxes for the rest of my life and working my ass off through university and then (hopefully) as a lawyer to pay for my own expenses and possible future children.

If we're talking about life - well it's all nice and great to want children but if you can't pay for them don't have them. They should not be the liability for the government and the taxpayers. THAT is the reality and life. You can't always have what you want.

ReputationRep:
    One that will be paying taxes for the rest of my life and working my ass off through university and then (hopefully) as a lawyer to pay for my own expenses and possible future children.

If we're talking about life - well it's all nice and great to want children but if you can't pay for them don't have them. They should not be the liability for the government and the taxpayers. THAT is the reality and life. You can't always have what you want.
    You're arguing with basic human instinct. You're gonna lose.

ReputationRep:
    Way to make your argument sound absurd by using unreasonable comparisons. What is wrong with waiting until you are financially stable to bring a child into the world? Child is a liability, requires attention 24/7 and costs a LOT so would probably push you into 'poverty' even more. ...
    Il then probably have children then when I'm 90 as then i'll be in the black- come on people have children when they are young, or are you suggesting that you might need government approval, a sort of mandatory requirement when you sign on say, to say that I have not had sex this week so can I please get my JSA payment.

ReputationRep:

You're also making an inherently individualist and selfish argument. "I'm allowed kids due to my life circumstances, but they're not.". No conception that poor people work bloody hard too. No realisation of the fact that kids growing up in poverty is detrimental to everybody. No, just me me me and grasping self enrichment. Sickening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ziggy2252)
    What do you mean its not her house? explain?
    She doesn't own it- the council can evict her for not paying rent or breaching the terms of her lease

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that why there's birth control?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    Isn't that why there's birth control?
    I'm very tempted to just fling an insult at you again for being so thick.

*deep breath*

I was talking about the basic drive to have kids. Birth control would be rather self defeating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    She doesn't own it- the council can evict her for not paying rent or breaching the terms of her lease
    If you mortgage a house you don't own it either as the lender can evict you!
    Unless of course you manage miraculously to pay off your mortgage completely, which for most of us is a pipe dream rich or poor.

ReputationRep:
    Are people some sort of animals that cannot control their 'urges' and rationalise?

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm having kids isn't a right you know. It's a responsibility. Everyone should AIM to be in a financially secure position when they have kids. Planning to have kids when you're on an extremely low income isn't very sensible to me.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.