Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    unit 5 is nightmare!!! I never liked it! started to like it a month before exam lol
    How do u find it?
    4 was okay...just not looking forward to the essay for 5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by posthumus)
    Iron(III) is used in the haber process... and I think Vanadium (V) is used in the contact process

Yup exactly Your way is shorter I actually started off with H2/platinum catalyst.... then UV rays with chlorine

I2 + OH- -----> IO- + I-

CH3CH2OCH2 + 3I2 + 4NaOH ------> CH3COONa + CHI3 + 3NaI + 3H2O

Go from aldehyde to Carboxylic acid.... without oxidization
    lol you gonna increase production cost of ur company
    lol I dont know that reaction I was expecting about reduction of persulphate ion
    yup! right!
    use fehling's solution then use acid

how can u distinguish between ketone and CHO by brady's reagent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blob2491)
    4 was okay...just not looking forward to the essay for 5
    lol I am glad we never have essay questions. The highest mark we have is 8 or even 9 but they are not those essay type

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    lol you gonna increase production cost of ur company
    lol I dont know that reaction I was expecting about reduction of persulphate ion
    yup! right!
    use fehling's solution then use acid

how can u distinguish between ketone and CHO by brady's reagent?
    Whats persulfate... and reduction ?

Dilute acid In one of the mark schemes they did not accept H2O and H+ When that's what they showed in george facer book...

would brady's go from a deep blue solution, to a red precipitate with aldehydes ?

Describe NMR, how it works.... the effects of electronegative atoms & tell me if TMS easily absorbs radiowaves or not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    lol I am glad we never have essay questions. The highest mark we have is 8 or even 9 but they are not those essay type
    25 marker...yay!
    I realise I'm derailing the thread so...outline the experimental method used to find the order with respect to iodine in a titration

ReputationRep:
    Whats persulfate... and reduction ?

Dilute acid In one of the mark schemes they did not accept H2O and H+ When that's what they showed in george facer book...

would brady's go from a deep blue solution, to a red precipitate with aldehydes ?

Describe NMR, how it works.... the effects of electronegative atoms & tell me if TMS easily absorbs radiowaves or not
    lol its in unit 5 and even in unit 4(page 25)
    oh yeah! dilute acid. they dont accept that coz saying H+ is not stating reagent
    Fehling's isnt it?
    because they are oxidised to COOH hence reduce CuO to Cu2O
    lol thats a lot of question!
    -sample is kept between two poles of strong magnet
    -there is a coil with rotates and provide radio waves
    -it passes through the sample and flips the proton nuclei in the sample from lower to higher energy level
    -this then gives those pattern
    -electronegative atom deshields other group so they are further down
    -yes it does thats why u get singlet peak at 0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blob2491)
    25 marker...yay!
    I realise I'm derailing the thread so...outline the experimental method used to find the order with respect to iodine in a titration
    wow! thats alot!
    -react KI and H2SO4
    -remove sample at regular interval and quench the solution with.... i dont know (umm keep in ice cold bath)
    -titrate with Na2S2O3 and when the solution is straw colour add starch
    -it changes to blue-black
    -then keep on adding thiosulphate till its colourless

what would be in the rate equation for the reaction between tertiarybromoalkane and OH-?

ReputationRep:
    an alcohol that gives positive iodoform test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    lol its in unit 5 and even in unit 4(page 25)
    oh yeah! dilute acid. they dont accept that coz saying H+ is not stating reagent
    Fehling's isnt it?
    because they are oxidised to COOH hence reduce CuO to Cu2O
    lol thats a lot of question!
    -sample is kept between two poles of strong magnet
    -there is a coil with rotates and provide radio waves
    -it passes through the sample and flips the proton nuclei in the sample from lower to higher energy level
    -this then gives those pattern
    -electronegative atom deshields other group so they are further down
    -yes it does thats why u get singlet peak at 0
    Do I need to remember the equation?!
    woops Brady's produces silver mirror with aldehydes

Only the last bit you got wrong It is difficult to get TMS to absorb radio waves hence why it's at the zero line

pH of 0.1 moldm^-3 of H2SO4

ReputationRep:
    Do I need to remember the equation?!
    woops Brady's produces silver mirror with aldehydes

Only the last bit you got wrong It is difficult to get TMS to absorb radio waves hence why it's at the zero line

pH of 0.1 moldm^-3 of H2SO4
    lol! brady's doesnt give silver mirror! its tollens that does. brady's gives yellow ppt or orange ppt
    is it?? it should because we are just assuming that it has 0 but in real it should absorb nmr otherwise how can u see the peak?

ReputationRep:
    -

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    lol! brady's doesnt give silver mirror! its tollens that does. brady's gives yellow ppt or orange ppt
    is it?? it should because we are just assuming that it has 0 but in real it should absorb nmr otherwise how can u see the peak?

Omg, thanks wow I'm so stupid

It's true I can't remember now exactly (was more prepared in Jan obv) but I saw in a video this is the case like you said with more electronegative surrounding with deshielding it shifts away from 0 line more... so it makes sense if you look at it that way now.

By the way in Jim Clark book, he doubles the concentration Which I think is wrong... I know for something like Ba(OH)2 you would do that... but not in this case I don't think !

Erm butan-2-ol ?

Why is CH3CH2COONa ... solution slightly alkaline, also give me the name of this compound

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    ethanol because it's oxidised by I2 to form ethanal which has a methyl-carbonyl group

Good luck everyone! I'm off too sleep now

ReputationRep:
    Omg, thanks wow I'm so stupid

It's true I can't remember now exactly (was more prepared in Jan obv) but I saw in a video this is the case like you said with more electronegative surrounding with deshielding it shifts away from 0 line more... so it makes sense if you look at it that way now.

By the way in Jim Clark book, he doubles the concentration Which I think is wrong... I know for something like Ba(OH)2 you would do that... but not in this case I don't think !

Erm butan-2-ol ?

Why is CH3CH2COONa ... solution slightly alkaline, also give me the name of this compound
    lol its coz u have revised a lot
    yeah we can. it does say that it doesnt dissociate fully in second ionisation but we assume so
    nope! ethanol
    sodium propanoate. CH3CH2COONa---->CH3CH2COO- + Na+
    CH3CH2COO- + H2O ---------> CH3CH2COOH+ + OH-
    coz of production of OH-

reaction of propanoic acid with PCl3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jethacan)
    ethanol because it's oxidised by I2 to form ethanal which has a methyl-carbonyl group

Good luck everyone! I'm off too sleep now
    yup!
    good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    lol its coz u have revised a lot
    yeah we can. it does say that it doesnt dissociate fully in second ionisation but we assume so
    nope! ethanol
    sodium propanoate. CH3CH2COONa---->CH3CH2COO- + Na+
    CH3CH2COO- + H2O ---------> CH3CH2COOH+ + OH-
    coz of production of OH-

reaction of propanoic acid with PCl3?
    So what do I do if it comes up in the exam

Why not butan-2ol ? Its a methyl alcohol isn't it? CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3

CH3CH2COOH + PCl3 -----> CH3CH2COCl + H3POCl + HCl

Jimmy is sitting his exam tomorrow, and he doesn't know of any weak and strong acids.... how can Jimmy still find out which ones are weak and strong ?

(okay proper question... Acyl chloride with excess ammonia, what may you observe).

And I'm starting to worry a bit I am much less prepared.... will go over organic, transesterifcation, rates & chromotography tomorrow morning!

ReputationRep:
    So what do I do if it comes up in the exam

Why not butan-2ol ? Its a methyl alcohol isn't it? CH3CH(OH)CH2CH3

CH3CH2COOH + PCl3 -----> CH3CH2COCl + H3POCl + HCl

Jimmy is sitting his exam tomorrow, and he doesn't know of any weak and strong acids.... how can Jimmy still find out which ones are weak and strong ?

(okay proper question... Acyl chloride with excess ammonia, what may you observe).

And I'm starting to worry a bit I am much less prepared.... will go over organic, transesterifcation, rates & chromotography tomorrow morning!
    you double it only
    and yeah! I think u are right
    lol! taste it! if his tongue burns more then strong if less then weak
    steamy fumes!!!!!!
    do u want me to ask on those topic?

ReputationRep:
    Love Unit 4!
    You guys will be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mollymod)
    Love Unit 4!
    You guys will be great
    hey! how u doing? feeling prepared for this unit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AS01)
    you double it only
    and yeah! I think u are right
    lol! taste it! if his tongue burns more then strong if less then weak
    steamy fumes!!!!!!
    do u want me to ask on those topic?
    Also did I need to remember persulfate ?

A possibility But I thought maybe you could look in the data booklet, and I think you can look at the dissociation constants & compared.... that's if your really stuck I think it'll be obvious from there but I've never tried it.

& I'm not sure if your right Steamy fumes is for HCl... but I think NH4Cl is white "smoke"

And yes please I will be going to sleep by 12 though I am worrying too much... I hope I get sleep

Explain to me in terms of kinetic/heat energy.... why exothermic reactions have positive entropy surroundings and also usually negative entropy of systems

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.