Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Would you rather be extremely intelligent or extremely good looking? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Good looking only because it's inherent and more difficult to change than academic and career success, which is what most people want from their intelligence.

Extremely intelligent and average looking.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent
    For me personally, life would be more fulfilling that way
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    You might become more interesting to other people, but other people will become less interesting to you because they wouldn't be able to uphold the conversation to the same standard as you...
    More interesting people are more likely to want to talk to someone they find more interesting though. I don't like the 'ignorance is bliss' idea behind being less intelligent making things more interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent. I find myself far more envious of Christopher Hitchens and Julian Barnes than David Beckham and Zac Efron.

ReputationRep:
    This is TSR. What do you think most people are going to say?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    More interesting people are more likely to want to talk to someone they find more interesting though. I don't like the 'ignorance is bliss' idea behind being less intelligent making things more interesting.
    I don't like the whole "ignorance is bliss" thing either... but I think that more intelligent people would lose interest in conversation with other people and gain interest in other more solitary things.

ReputationRep:
    I'm average looking now and get on just fine regarding relationships etc :mmm: it'd be nice to live without the insecurities and stuff, but still, I'd have to go with intelligence (however tempting being super beautiful is :nopity:)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    Just going on the basis of sex, it would be wiser to go for intelligence, as not only would it help you everywhere else, but you'd also be able to convince people to be with you. Either one would get you sex, but intelligence would also improve other areas of your life.

Ignoring that, though, without a doubt I'd much rather be extremely intelligent. I don't care at all what I look like, but I care enormously about science and knowledge.
    This is utter bull****. There's definitely a negative correlation between "intelligence" (above and beyond average) and social ability.

I wouldn't hesitate to choose the extremely good looking + averagely intelligent option. I want to think less and do more. Being "intelligent" is thoroughly undesirable, and something of a disability.

ReputationRep:
    Intelligent.

why do looks matter...you'd have the intellectual ability to manipulate ANYONE to fall in love with you.

Lol

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be extremely intelligent I have always wanted to know things and increase my general knowledge, vocabulary etc. To crave physical beauty is very superficial but quite common in today's society.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely intelligent. Trust me, it can get you out of some really sticky situations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd much prefer being intelligent over being good-looking. For one thing, 'good-looking' is a very ambiguous term and its meaning differs between different types of people, so an unattractive or 'average' person in one person's eyes could be highly attractive in another's.
    A person's level of intelligence is solid fact and therefore indisputable, so even if you're potentially at risk of being called unattractive by certain people (not everyone, as explained above), they can't deny you of your intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NB_ide)
    This is utter bull****. There's definitely a negative correlation between "intelligence" (above and beyond average) and social ability.

I wouldn't hesitate to choose the extremely good looking + averagely intelligent option.
    I want to think less and do more. Being "intelligent" is thoroughly undesirable, and something of a disability.
    Good choice, you'd still be significantly increasing your intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    Extremely good looking, then I'd make tons of money anyway.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you rather be extremely intelligent and average looking (not ugly), or extremely good looking with average intelligence (not thick)? I have to admit I would rather be stunning with average intelligence. Mainly because its very rare to see stunning people so you would be but in the minority but being very intelligent is more common (I'm not saying its very common though). Also if you have average intelligence you can still work hard, get a good degree and a good career. You might not be able to do a physics phd but you can still do well in life. Also being good looking is known to help you get jobs, employers are known to subconsciously favour good looking candidates in interviews even in jobs that have nothing to do with image.
    I'd rather be extremely intelligent simply because beauty doesn't last forever and is deceiving...

(Original post by KingMessi)
    Extremely intelligent. I find myself far more envious of Christopher Hitchens and Julian Barnes than David Beckham and Zac Efron.
    You're already intelligent, so no need to worry there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    You're already intelligent, so no need to worry there.
    Not 'extremely', though - not by a long stretch. It's not the same as being like the people I named above, which I assumed the OP meant when they said 'extremely'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    Yeah, I'd rather be a dead than be Zac Efron aswell

ReputationRep:
    Definitely extremely good looking and averagely intelligent, where it would be nice to have both as long as you weren't thick you could make a lot of money doing modelling etc. Plus looks do help you get a job whether they're supposed to or not!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.