Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MAINE.)
    Go to one of the UK's top 5 unis, and work in a industry that is notorious for only hiring from the very best unis. In the numerous interviews and assessment centres I've been to I've found UCL students to be the most conceited and snobby.

The need to act superior stems from insecurity. Broadly speaking, Oxbirdge students dont need to act superior because they know they go to one of the very bets, if not, the best universities in the world - certainly in the UK anyway. LSE students dont act superior because they know they're seen as the best in the UK at economics, and Imperial students dont act superior because they know they're seen as the best in the UK when it comes to the sciences. Students I have found to be the most pompous and pretentious are definitely UCL students. Which is is why they wouldnt shut up about it when they were ranked 4th in the world rankings (even though those rankings are about as credible as the boy who cried wolf)
    generalising much?

ReputationRep:
    I have nothing against oxbridge students really, if they don't act like knobs then what's the problem? Even if snobby/smug students look down on you for not going there then you shouldn't really care, if they think they're better than you as a person because they went to a fancier uni then that's speaks more poorly about them than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    at Oxbridge we do not have "students"... we have undergraduates; if they are of the gentler sex they are referred to as undergraduettes
    Oxbridge...Where you read with your lover...drink with your tutor...and sleep with your books. Of course we look down on you proletariats. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    You get snobs everywhere. I'm pretty sure I go to one of the worse universities in existence but I still meet people who're snobby towards those who didn't get into university at all. So are some people who go to Oxbridge bound to be snobs? Well, yeah. They're not exempt from human flaws.

If you mean 'look down on' to me 'feel more successful', though, they should. I had everything I needed to succeed at A Level handed to me on a silver platter and I bit the hand that fed. I'm under no delusion here; not all achievements are equal. Some people succeed in their goals, others fail and others just don't have any aspirations to start with. By and large, we get what we earn, and if someone at Oxford wants to feel happy about their accomplishments, then more power to them.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares even if they do
    I doubt anybody wants to go to a rubbish uni.
    Going to any of the Russel Group universities,
    doing well in your chosen degree,
    I think generally you would have the same job prospects as a Oxbridge graduate.
    The university you go to can have a big impact on your career,
    but people do not hire only graduates from Oxbridge so they have nothing to look down on.
    My chemistry lecturer studied at Oxford and I have family and friends who studied at Oxbridge and they all differ.
    Don't think you could make such generic conclusions on large numbers of diverse characters.
    It is more down to the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayTeeKay)
    As a member of the elite Woxbridge group (for those among you unfamiliar with the common contraction, it is short for Warwick, Cambridge and Oxford, although I believe this phrase will become obsolete once Oxford and Cambridge are re-branded as Warwick's southern and eastern campuses respectively), I have to say that no, I don't tend to look down on members of inferior institutions. I do however, expect that students attending such universities look up to me as an inspiration; a shining example of academic brilliance that they can aspire to equal through hard work.

To anybody posting a reply to this comment, there's no need to shower me in praise for my achievements. Simply addressing my as "your excellence" will suffice.
    :rofl: Sarcasm? Or is this a genuine post? Your excllence:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Actually its perfectly valid to look down on Oxbridge students too. I remember I went to a business competition where there were teams from the likes of Oxbridge, UCL, Warwick, and others competing and we all had to give team presentations.The UCL team definitely came across as the most smug and full of themselves, but they werent the worst team. The worst team was the Cambridge team. The entire team was full of your stereotypical nerdy point dexters, clearly with little to zero social skills, and most of them were really bad at speaking and mumbled their words alot.

For the presentation we were supposed to present for 15 mins and discuss the quantitative and qualitative aspects of a particular strategic venture for a large company. The Cambridge team completely missed the plot and basically produced this complex mathematical model that went way beyond the scope of what was needed for the presentation, and then they basically spent their 15 minutes trying to explain the model and boring the audience half to death.

That was the point that made me realise Oxbridge was not all that great (at least relative to my uni - another top 5 uni). Not to say that there arent less academically or socially able students at every uni, and these Cambridge kids were clearly academically smart, but that doesnt mean very much without the social and presentation skills to succeed in the real world.

Though I have made a lot of friends at/who went to Oxbridge because of the industry I work in, overall the impression I have gotten is that there's not really much difference between the average student there and the average student at any Russell Group uni except that students at higher ranked unis just have higher UCAS points. Despite befriending a number of Oxbridge students there are not many I would call exceptionally intelligent - seems most of them have just got to Oxbridge through being conditioned to work hard and achieve by their parents/(independent) schools etc.

ReputationRep:
    Why single out Oxford? Grotesquely unfair and hurtful

ReputationRep:
    Judging by the development of the current series of University Challenge they no longer have much reason to.

UCL Papaphilippopoulos!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    We just do our best to pretend those rankings don't mean much to us. :laugh:
    Indeed.

We all know the Norrington Table's where the true rankings lie (I'm looking at you, Merton...)

ReputationRep:
    I see it as a sign of prestige, its a great a achievement to go to the best universities in the world. I know some Oxbridge student can be arrogant and cocky but they've earned the right to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthestig)
    Wonderfully up-to-date documentary on Oxford

Hope I get the grades for the offer...
    Fullofsurprises is having you on. This was in actual fact last summer. Filmed a la 'The Actor' apparently.

I'm the guy at 5:30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhmcateer)
    Fullofsurprises is having you on. This was in actual fact last summer. Filmed a la 'The Actor' apparently.

Yeah, except you're better with a punt now, right? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maselg2)
    Oxbridge...Where you read with your lover...drink with your tutor...and sleep with your books. Of course we look down on you proletariats. :cool:
    Excuse me. I think you meant "proletarians", you were using the word "proletariats" in too abstract a way for it to be plausible in this context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fhmcateer)

Ah, those members of the OUDS with their clever directorial skills

It hasn't changed a bit. Nice calligraphy on the film titles in those days.

I think I saw Margaret Thatcher whizzing past on her baike on Magdalen Bridge.
    Just out of shot is Tony Benn waiting to let her tyres down when she stops

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamthestig)

Just of shot is Tony Benn waiting to let her tyres down when she stops
    They were there at the same time - Benn was at New until '47 and Maggie of course was at Somerville, completing the same year, although she arrived in 43 and Benn in 45 as a Returning Officer. Famously he had his (Westminster public school and Oxford) education removed from Who's Who - Maggie seems to have been rather prouder of her state grammar.

ReputationRep:
    They were there at the same time - Benn was at New until '47 and Maggie of course was at Somerville, completing the same year, although she arrived in 43 and Benn in 45 as a Returning Officer. Famously he had his (Westminster public school and Oxford) education removed from Who's Who - Maggie seems to have been rather prouder of her state grammar.
    Interesting.

I nice factoid about Tony Benn is that he proposed to his girlfriend on a bench in Oxford, which he later bought and put in their garden

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me. I think you meant "proletarians", you were using the word "proletariats" in too abstract a way for it to be plausible in this context.
    AH yes sorry, You see....even Oxbridge students look down on each other. My reading of PPE gets me no where with the English language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maselg2)
    AH yes sorry, You see....even Oxbridge students look down on each other. My reading of PPE gets me no where with the English language.
    I think you'll find "nowhere" is one word.

ReputationRep:
    I think that the rivalry between Cambridge and Oxford is hotter than Oxbridge and other unis. Although Oxbridge identifies UCL, Imperial, Durham and Warwick as competitors.

Here is an interesting video about the oxbridge rivalry

<a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyJDV6igLk" data-cke-saved-href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVyJDV6igLk">

This is just my opinion and I do not mean to upset anyone.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.