Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sister caught on speed camera and has no license. What will happen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    You don't want to take the responsibility for your sister on this one. If you do this, you're courting jail time, imagine what one glance at your TSR profile alone would tell them. Your sister needs to learn that there's a reason people learn to drive and have to take a test to prove it. Don't keep bailing her out of life, let her screw it up for herself and learn.
    I doubt they will look at my TSR profile and we resemble each other a lot so I don't think they will bother checking. My sister will be going to Canada shortly anyways. I just want to save her this once. I'll be joining her in Canada shortly too.

I am confident that she has got the message and otherwise she is a responsible person its just that she didn't find driving that serious of an issue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Yeah but my point remains... It's a different principle.

You need fuel to run the car.
    You do not need insurance to run the car.
    Err....

You DO need insurance to run a car. It's a legal requirement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabian92)
    Err....

however a car will start and drive without insurance ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    however a car will start and drive without insurance

Is it moron day on TSR?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fimblesocks)
    At least she was insured I guess, so that won't be another thing for her to be charged with.

Just don't take the blame for her, as perverting the course of justice is much more serious and will likely land you both with a stretch in prison.

I just hope she doesn't want a job that needs a CRB or she's screwed :\
    She's not insured though, as she was driving on a provisional license on her own...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As there are 15 pages and counting I have only read the first two pages, so sorry if any of this has been said.

If you were not already aware, you should wait out the two weeks for the notice. Many speed cameras have no film as they cannot afford it, so regardless of whether or not they flash your sister could potentially be ok.

You have two main options - break the law or choose to abide by it.

You are considering taking points for your sister. She has a provisional licence and chose to not only break the law once, but twice by driving on her own and above the speed limit. The consequences for her may be severe and so it might be tempting to help her. In which case depending on the speed you may be offered the speeding course or points on your licence. If you are given the points then you would have to declare them to your insurance which would subsequently increase.

It could be that is the end of it and the matter is looked into no further. However, it could also be the case that someone who has heard what has happened reports you or they investigate and discover you were lying. In which case, perverting the course of justice alone, even if you are of good character, exemplary even, can lead to a short custodial sentence.

Alternatively, if a letter does come through, you declare your sister was driving the vehicle and they investigate. The consequences of this scenario I am not entirely sure, but one of the most likely results is that your sister is disqualified from driving - especially if they discover she was alone in the car as this would mean her insurance would no longer be valid.

Whichever route you take is completely at your discretion. I would advise that if the letter from the DVLA does arrive, you are truthful and do not take the blame for your sister's actions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsCourtney)
    I doubt they will look at my TSR profile and we resemble each other a lot so I don't think they will bother checking. My sister will be going to Canada shortly anyways. I just want to save her this once. I'll be joining her in Canada shortly too.

I am confident that she has got the message and otherwise she is a responsible person its just that she didn't find driving that serious of an issue.
    Of course it's not serious.

I mean, she can't legally drive and isn't insured, but if she crashed and injured/killed someone...pfft that's not serious!

You are your sister seem so wise.

ReputationRep:

Is it moron day on TSR?
    obviously ,

let me explain this for you in nice short words.

but first do you understand the difference in meaning between 'can' and 'may'

A car will not start and run without fuel in the tank - therefore without fuel you cannot drive a car.

A car does not 'know' if it is covered by insurance therefore it will start and run and be able to be driven, however, you may not drive it on the road legally ...

ReputationRep:
    obviously ,

A car will not start and run without fuel in the tank - therefore without fuel you cannot drive a car.

A car does not 'know' if it is covered by insurance therefore it will start and run and be able to be driven, however, you may not drive it on the road legally ...
    I understand that.

What I am saying is that while it's possible, it's illegal.

ReputationRep:
    Assuming this isn't a wind up......

It looks like the police will either be prosecuting or removing licences in the UK and you and your sister "escape" to Canada.

Repeat and rinse in Canada until you reach the same situation there.

Which country will you run to then?

ReputationRep:
    She has a provisional license but was driving herself, alone.
    They flash your car from the back ( from experience) they do not know who was driving.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Err....

however a car will start and drive without insurance ...

Is it moron day on TSR?
    obviously ,

LOL.

I thank zippy greatly for stepping in on my behalf and explaining this...

sabian I give up with you. I don't understand why you're still going off on a tangent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissie19913)
    They flash your car from the back ( from experience) they do not know who was driving.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gatso's flash from the back
    Truvelo's flash from the front

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if I reply saying she was driving, will I get into trouble for allowing her to use the car or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMuppet)
    Assuming this isn't a wind up......

It looks like the police will either be prosecuting or removing licences in the UK and you and your sister "escape" to Canada.

Repeat and rinse in Canada until you reach the same situation there.

Which country will you run to then?
    How is that "escaping", I've had a Canadian passport for a really long time and me and my sister are the only ones from my family in the UK (although we were born in the UK).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    LOL.

I thank zippy greatly for stepping in on my behalf and explaining this...

sabian I give up with you. I don't understand why you're still going off on a tangent.
    You're the one that deliberately quoted only half of sabian's sentence to make it seem like he didn't understand the difference between running a car with fuel and running a car without insurance :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    How is that "escaping", I've had a Canadian passport for a really long time and me and my sister are the only ones from my family in the UK (although we were born in the UK).
    What ever action you take one or both of you will have consequences to suffer in the UK. You are suggesting you will simply go back to Canada to escape these consequences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMuppet)
    What ever action you take one or both of you will have consequences to suffer in the UK. You are suggesting you will simply go back to Canada to escape these consequences.
    No I will be going to Canada anyways even if it weren't for these problems.

ReputationRep:
    No I will be going to Canada anyways even if it weren't for these problems.
    'Problems'?

They're not problems, they're illegal acts.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, if I reply saying she was driving, will I get into trouble for allowing her to use the car or something?
    If she was caught then the DVLA will send you a form to declare who was driving. In that section would be where you state your sister was driving when the offence was committed. As far as I am aware they do not ask who was supervising on the form.

Provided on the image captured it is not obvious that there is no supervising licence holder beside her, that could be the end of it and she recieves the points and fine on her licence.

It depends whether or not you did allow your sister to use your vehicle at the time. Section 87(2) of the Road Traffic Act 1988 states "It is an offence for a person to cause or permit another person to drive on a road a motor vehicle of any class if that other person is not the holder of a licence authorising him to drive a motor vehicle of that class".

You could be acquitted if you were unaware as you did not permit her to drive your vehicle at the time - this would have to be proven.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.