Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just inherited a large sum of money so the world is my oyster this summer. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Inherited a lot of money, you say? Hi, have we met? Nida here. My bday's 6th of May and I am into Bentley. Uh, tbh gold would do too.

Jokes aside: skydiving, charity, flying a goddamn plane, traveling, going to Italy JUST for food (you might as well get fat, you can afford lipo or a personal trainer) or setting up schools for poor.

Go wild.

ReputationRep:
    Buy an elephant!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Please, enlighten me as to how...
    If you invested £6000 and got a reasonable 7% rate of return, then after 10 years you would double your money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    If you invested £6000 and got a reasonable 7% rate of return, then after 10 years you would double your money.
    Even accepting the premise of that slightly optimistic RoR, what would you do with 12k in ten years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fudgemuffins)
    Indeed. If you could consistently deliver 7%, now, you would, on average, be outperforming the boys pulling in 6 or 7 figure bonuses for investing their client's cash at the big banks....and be headhunted as a result.

Negative 3% to 0% is what most of us are on, in real terms, right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by playingcards)
    Even accepting the premise of that slightly optimistic RoR, what would you do with 12k in ten years?
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Indeed. If you could consistently deliver 7%, now, you would, on average, be outperforming the boys pulling in 6 or 7 figure bonuses for investing their client's cash at the big banks....and be headhunted as a result.

Negative 3% to 0% is what most of us are on, in real terms, right now.
    I didn't mean in real terms, but my advice was essentially to invest wisely rather than spend the money straight away.

And you could do a lot with 12k in ten years, there isn't a shortage of ways to spend money. But I just think it is unwise to blow so much money at a young age, when it will come in handy in years to come when you want to buy a house, car, start a family etc.

ReputationRep:
    Don’t do this.

hmm your words and the other guys words have gotten to me, now im at the place i was 2 months ago, what is a viable and exceptional work experience ???? you tell me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DrTK278)
    hmm your words and the other guys words have gotten to me, now im at the place i was 2 months ago, what is a viable and exceptional work experience ???? you tell me
    OK. Three questions:
    1) How old are you?
    2) What are you skilled at?
    3) What do you want to achieve in the next few years?

ReputationRep:
    OK. Three questions:
    1) How old are you?
    2) What are you skilled at?
    3) What do you want to achieve in the next few years?
    I am 17 turning 18 in a few months. hmmm my skills are; in terms of education, i am quick learner, learning things ahead of course subject (but i guess thats because i did everything last year), really into chemistry more than biology.
    and i just want to study medicine at kings college university.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.