Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    they were marries for me but not for my big sister. they're still married and going strong...

ReputationRep:
    Married ( I ain't no [email protected]) widowed (were still married)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    You do not really allow for the adopted from birth amongst us
    So I will reply on behalf of my 2 children

Son = not even together really
    Daughter = married and together
    Apologies for that!
    So were you/your parents married when they adopted the first child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StupidGirl1)
    Apologies for that!
    Given TenOfThem's age I'm not sure adopting would have been a possiblity if they weren't.

ReputationRep:
    Apologies for that!
    my parents were married when they adopted their first child and would still be married had my dad not died after 51 years of marriage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    Given TenOfThem's age I'm not sure adopting would have been a possiblity if they weren't.
    humph

ReputationRep:
    married and still together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenOfThem)
    humph
    My aim was to point out the skewness of the question if it was impossible to adopt outside marriage at that time, not to make you feel old, I promise.

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together

Your results may be somewhat skewed by the fact that plenty of pregnancies are unplanned, so an unmarried couple do not have to be remotely committed to each other to have a baby - it could even be a 1 night stand. The married ones (presumably) do necessarily have that commitment to begin with.

ReputationRep:
    I understand what you are saying but if I was to ask the circumstances there would be hundreds of different responses, and my theory is that people who are married before having children tend to be together 'Till death do them part' regardless of the before hand circumstances.

Also just to add I'm not in uni! I'm only 15 (16 in 2 weeks yay) I'm just doing this because I LOVE researching and writing up my found research in great detail! Even if it does just stay on my memory stick for years! haha
    Since you love researching I'll give you a tip (feel free to tell me to eff off though!). Unfortunately your current method is very flawed. You wouldn't be needing to find out individual circumstances for the unmarried, but maybe something like finding out how long their parents were together before pregnancy, which you could separate into blocks (like 0-2 years, 3-5 years, or whatever) if you were going to properly analyse the data.

This opens a whole can of worms though, with other questions you could ask so I'm gonna shut up I think I REALLY miss doing research!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmegSlayer)
    Married in 1973, had my brother 1978 and me 1983. Together until mum died in December. This June would've been their 40th wedding anniversary.

Mum told me she'd had previous boyfriends before dad but was a virgin when married. Dad's only girlfriend was mum and obviously he was also a virgin when they married. They didn't live together until after they were married. To them marriage was much more than a piece of paper. It was a commitment you made to each other. Before mum was taken into hospital she had a bed in the living room and dad slept on the sofa so he could be close by if she needed him. They were chalk and cheese characters in many respects but together they made a proper partnership.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is so sweet I agree that marriage is more than a piece of paper. Marriage/getting married means nothing to a lot of people these days.. Its nice to see that not everyone sees it that way

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Married.
    Still together (just...)

ReputationRep:
    Married, still together after many arguments and separations.

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together.

ReputationRep:
    unmarried and split

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together, same for 2 generations up, no idea about before then.

ReputationRep:
    Unmarried and split, but my Mum has been with my Stepdad since I was 6 years old (I'm 20 in July).

ReputationRep:
    married and still together

ReputationRep:
    Married and still together.

I'm sure I saw somewhere that ~50% of marriages in the UK end in divorce, but it seems to be a fair bit lower on here. Something to do with the demographics of this site, perhaps? :dontknow:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.