Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I say thankyou normally. But on London buses I don't, purely cause you get off a different door and I'd be self conscious shouting thankyou down a bus.

ReputationRep:
    Every single time. Sometimes I'm angry at the driver for being 20 minutes late, rude or for driving badly, but I thank them anyway as it's just unthinkably rude not to do it around here.

ReputationRep:
    South London

At night when nobody else on the bus: T-th-thanks..
    The rest of the time: Nope

ReputationRep:
    I say thank you most of the time, but if the bus driver's been a prick, I won't.

ReputationRep:
    Yep even I say thank you in most cases except when it's too busy(not audible) and when the exit is not close to the driver.
    In any case, I will thank him if I interact with him while buying a ticket or for directions
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    Also London has a faster paced lifestyle than these rural villiages people are citing from. Saying thanks to bus drivers in London?? Ain't nobody got time for that. :awesome:

Also a site somewhere said that central London has one of the highest average walking speeds in the world. :eek:

I can imagine this is true, cause try doodling along at a tube station during rushhour, everyone will just sail past you.
    Also, someone on the platform at Oxford Circus, a couple of years ago looked like they were gonna faint out (this was during the heatwave), but no one even stopped by to give water. Fortunately I had water on me and gave him the bottle, he drank it and said thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    It's almost like you're assuming that people get the bus for free. Believe it or not, nobody is under any obligation to thank the driver. Yes it's polite and whatnot, but at the end of the day, it's their job.

I don't believe that at all, I get the bus almost every day and it costs a f*cking fortune but I've still got respect so I thank the driver. Just like I thank the barman for my drink, the baker for my sausage roll and the sales assistant for my clothes etc.

Do you know what is free? Manners. Only takes a second to thank someone and it costs nothing.

ReputationRep:
    The bus drivers in London sometimes are quite mean and so I don't if they are mean to me. Like rude and stuff I don't. But in London no one talks on puclic transport in zone one. It's always so silent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lazershus)
    i just be the efficient customer, get on quickly, make sure i don't waste anyone's time, have my oyster ready and make no noise then get off at the right place etc,
    Saying thanks won't stop you from doing any of these things. You can still slide your oyster card over the detector (not sure what you call it) while talking. You could clean and talk, you could exercise and talk heck you could do anything and still talk- even eating (though I don't think you should do that- chocking hazard).
    I just think that bus drivers deserve to know we appreciate their service even if they're paid for it.

ReputationRep:
    I was surprised at how everyone said thank you up here. In London no one paid attention to each other let alone the driver. Now whenever I visit London I feel uncomfortable for not being able to say thank you because of the position of the doors but also because the drivers ignore passengers too.

ReputationRep:
    Im a Londoner and generally thank the driver as I get on.. also if I get off and walk out the front doors.. in Suffolk at home I do the same

ReputationRep:
    I usually say a quick thanks, I don't expect a reply. I always thought it was the appropriate social convention. A lot of people do it and it seems like a nice thing to do so why not!

ReputationRep:
    Bottles rolling on the floor on a bus are the most annoying thing!
    Some litter on a seat is not that bad. Well it certainly isn't good, but when that lucozade bottle keeps on banging into everyone's feet, then it gets irritating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smudge_moon)
    When you get off the bus do you say thank you to the driver? Where I live everyone does it as the get off, but when I went to Bristol to visit my cousin, everyone just ignored the driver and made no conversation or anything.

On a side note, does anyone else find it really annoying when people don't pick up their litter on the bus -.- I was coming home from town when the seat across from me had so much litter on it. I've attached a photo and when I took it most of the empty bottles and stuff had fallen on the floor and rolled around by then, but still. The crisps were only half eaten and there was loads left in the packet and it's such a waste, take it with you!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sounds like you're from the countryside. In cities everyone is so busy and thrusting they don't have time for simple pleasantries lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Member731)
    Saying thanks won't stop you from doing any of these things. You can still slide your oyster card over the detector (not sure what you call it) while talking. You could clean and talk, you could exercise and talk heck you could do anything and still talk- even eating (though I don't think you should do that- chocking hazard).
    I just think that bus drivers deserve to know we appreciate their service even if they're paid for it.
    well you try doing that on a busy London bus, it just gets lost, sure you can do it but it doesn't matter, if i were a bus driver i would find it nice for someone to say thank you but it's not like you'll get angry if they don't, you'll just be happy for them to be quick and get on with it, and there are a lot of services i appreciate that don't get a thank you, e.g. post men, refuse collectors, etc, i don't say thanks because it's not a one-to-one situation like i said before, when it's kind of one-to-one it's easier to say thank you, when there's a lot of other random people around using the service as well then there's barely a point and i think they just appreciate it if you cause no hassle.

it's like when i was working as a shop assistant, i didn't mind or even notice when people didn't say thanks, as long as i could help them and they weren't any trouble then i was happy to help. and also growing up i never actually saw anyone say thank you so i never did it myself, and like everyone else said the door is on the other side, it feels weird shouting across the bus 'thanks' if i did it when i get off, if you grew up in London you'd probably get it *shrugs*. tbh just look at other londoners' comments, it's a different vibe from whatever it's like elsewhere i suppose, the drivers really don't care, they just want to finish their job as quickly as possible, and some of them can be rude anyway. :P

ReputationRep:
    Think of how you get of a bus…by saying thank you would merely be blocking an entrance, and heading in the wrong direction.

However I do say it as I go on, and because most bus drivers are nice people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i always do

ReputationRep:
    I always do... In fact where I live I've heard bus drivers yell at people who don't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    Makes it quicker for people to get on and off I suppose, though it does reduce the number of seats.

I'm actually in awe. That's so cool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    Just one question, do you say thank you to an airplane pilot? Because I actually don't even though he or his crew at least often say goodbye which is what I say too. But I don't say "thank you".

And if you don't say thank you to a pilot why would you thank a bus driver (not dissing the job, but that it is arguably harder to fly a plane and the stigma of crashing with a plane).
    almost all flights i've been on everyone on the plane breaks into applause after we touch down, even though the potential for disaster isn't actually over yet :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.