Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just as someone who was in Lenton and Wortley last year: What? Air Hockey table!? There's only a pool table and table tennis in there now. An a lot of sofas. I also know there was the suggestion last year that Maria would be leaving. I don't know if that happened or not but Glenn is still the Warden as far as I know. And getting packed lunches is sonething all halls provide but being on good terms with maria/catering staff means you don't get stern looks if you haven't booked ages in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am applying to study chemical engineering next academic year and have been offered a place in Lenton and Wortley hall for a single study room. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about it? How many people share the shared bathroom? Are the bathrooms single sex? What is the food like? How big are the rooms? Do all the rooms have sinks?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    All rooms have sinks. 6 people per floor, 3 floors per block. Some blocks join together but are technically seperate. One shower per floor and one bath/shower per block. No one uses the bath so if you're on the ground floor you basically have two showers. Single sex per floor not block. Food is variable and you do get choice. Decent sized rooms. If you're lucky you'll end up in lenton hurst which is a different matter entirely. Just better in every way. Are you able to change now though? Why are you asking? It won't be much worse or better than other halls. I loved it there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1tchell)
    All rooms have sinks. 6 people per floor, 3 floors per block. Some blocks join together but are technically seperate. One shower per floor and one bath/shower per block. No one uses the bath so if you're on the ground floor you basically have two showers. Single sex per floor not block. Food is variable and you do get choice. Decent sized rooms. If you're lucky you'll end up in lenton hurst which is a different matter entirely. Just better in every way. Are you able to change now though? Why are you asking? It won't be much worse or better than other halls. I loved it there.
    Thank you, I just wanted to find out more information about the halls. Its weird that six people share a bathroom, the website said it would be no more than five.. oh well. It is possible to ask for another hall but I don't think I will. Thanks again for your help.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer for L&W single study. Seems good except for the fact there's no gym and one shower between six? I'm studying mechanical engineering is that a bit of a trek? can't really tell from the map

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maloneyyy)
    Got an offer for L&W single study. Seems good except for the fact there's no gym and one shower between six? I'm studying mechanical engineering is that a bit of a trek? can't really tell from the map

The gym is about 5mins walk away. And central campus is around the same distance but the opposite direction so you'll be fine. Did you really expect there to be a gym within the halls? :P I'm in L&W now; it's easily one of the nicest halls on campus in terms of exterior and interior furnishings. Single study rooms are a pretty decent size as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurajadex)
    The gym is about 5mins walk away. And central campus is around the same distance but the opposite direction so you'll be fine. Did you really expect there to be a gym within the halls? :P I'm in L&W now; it's easily one of the nicest halls on campus in terms of exterior and interior furnishings. Single study rooms are a pretty decent size as well.
    Oh right nice one, I just got my hopes up because there's a gym in cripps but thinking about it it doesn't really matter anyway haha. Sounds good, just need the grades now😉

ReputationRep:
    All you people staying in lenton and wortley next year you're so lucky! You're going to love it! It's honestly one of the best halls! (3rd to cripps and hu stu apparently) but it's honestly great. I'm currently in l&w halls in a private shared bathroom bedroom, which is only shared with one person and is really nice. The best point for this type of bedroom is that we have a double bed, all the others have the normal single but all the bedrooms are decent sized the ones sharing a bathroom between 6 (blocks 9,10,11) and (2,3,4,5) seem to be more social blocks as the blocks are joined so it's better in that way I'd say and the people living in those blocks love it! I would say it's mixed on the floors as I know girls living with guys on the same floor. The food in the hall isn't great at all, but you'll get used to it! And everything is in easy walking distance from l&w the longest walk (eg to humanities is 15 mins) it's so great living on campus as everything is easy to get to and near each other. I know so many people doing chem eng! Haha if only we had a gym in our hall!

ReputationRep:
    Yer it does sound great, I wish I could have got a shared bathroom or en suite but I don't get any grants and I don't even get enough loan for a single study haha so I'm going to have to get a job. Do the uni hire students to work within the union, and if so how would I go about getting a job? I'm surprised that six people share a bathroom, the website says it is no more than five people, but I will survive haha . Is there a lot of people doing chem eng staying there then? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hrwaldron)
    Yer it does sound great, I wish I could have got a shared bathroom or en suite but I don't get any grants and I don't even get enough loan for a single study haha so I'm going to have to get a job. Do the uni hire students to work within the union, and if so how would I go about getting a job? I'm surprised that six people share a bathroom, the website says it is no more than five people, but I will survive haha . Is there a lot of people doing chem eng staying there then? Thanks
    Tbh looking back on it, I'd rather have gone for a single study bedroom, due to the social side. They're the most popular bedroom types and are really nice rooms.. All the room types are 2bh. Ah that's really annoying! You've got more of a chance getting a job in the SU when you first start, I've never looked for a job at the uni, but I know the student bar mooch were recruiting new staff last semester. I imagine they employ new people very often especially at the beginning of the academic year. There are many shops and things in the Portland building including the SU shop, I'd recommend when you have a chance during week 1 to ask around there. Also the student clubber reps are always recruiting ticket sellers to sell tickets in halls every week, but the money isn't great, and depends on how many you sell etc, but that is an option. Id recommend trying to get a job over summer if you haven't already got one, and try saving a bit beforehand as that would be a huge help, but I know it's never that easy. Oh, actually coming to think of it I'm pretty sure it is shared between 5 people, the other person on the thread confused me sorry! I think there's 3 this year in l&w one of them is one of my main friends and so I've got to know a lot of them through her. Everyone who does chemeng seems to know everyone on the course and they are all very close friends which seems really nice compared to other subjects! I have to say though l&w always seems to have a load of medics!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.