Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutButter2000)
    I think Newcastle's changed policy since then! It is pretty much ALL UKCAT now, this year they only took people with a UKCAT over 695 to interview and gave places based on interview performance, they didn't even look at our personal statements!!! Bristol and Leeds don't really use the UKCAT much though so they probably do use the ps a lot. Exeter and Plymouth also jsut use the UKCAt score for intrview not personal statements.
    Ahh right, thankyou for correcting me, so Newcastle don't even look at your ps? Entirely based on UKCAT and interview? or gcse grades etc?

Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I did mine on Parkinson's, it was super useful to talk about at interview and bulked out my personal statement! I guess 4 subjects would be best for Cambridge, you can always drop one anyway, you can drop a subject after the January exams without having to declare it if you really mess up
    I'll see how it goes, i would like to do four..I've always loved a challenge lol

No more jan exams from now on But yeh...I can always drop it in October or something if I wished to

ReputationRep:
    I think Newcastle's changed policy since then! It is pretty much ALL UKCAT now, this year they only took people with a UKCAT over 695 to interview and gave places based on interview performance, they didn't even look at our personal statements!!! Bristol and Leeds don't really use the UKCAT much though so they probably do use the ps a lot. Exeter and Plymouth also jsut use the UKCAt score for intrview not personal statements.
    This is bad for me...UKCAT is really not going to go well ...I have a really bad hunch lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ergo30)
    Ahh right, thankyou for correcting me, so Newcastle don't even look at your ps? Entirely based on UKCAT and interview? or gcse grades etc?

Thankyou
    Well in this (for 2013 entry) cycle they just used the UKCAT for interview then gave you an interview score and offered the top scorers. I don't think they looked at my ps or GCSEs at all! not sure if they're doing the same next year, but it's most likely.
    Leicesters a good uni for being very balanced, using ps, UKACT and GCSEs if you're a well-rounded applicant. Others tend to focus on just one aspect, or use a UKCAT cut-off point

ReputationRep:
    Well in this (for 2013 entry) cycle they just used the UKCAT for interview then gave you an interview score and offered the top scorers. I don't think they looked at my ps or GCSEs at all! not sure if they're doing the same next year, but it's most likely.
    Leicesters a good uni for being very balanced, using ps, UKACT and GCSEs if you're a well-rounded applicant. Others tend to focus on just one aspect, or use a UKCAT cut-off point
    If you don't mind me asking, What medical school do you attend and what were your stats. I really wanna go to Newcastle as well and I would be thankful if you had any more tips for preparing for entry into medical school.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    have a look at this student room page for how each university uses the UKCAT - a lot of them don't really care about it that much anyway http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT just remember the UCKAT has changed a bit this year so the 600Q book is now OUTDATED!!! :O not sure if the kaplan lot have got themselves together or not either, but it didn't change too much, from what i can tell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g.k.galloway)
    This is bad for me...UKCAT is really not going to go well ...I have a really bad hunch lol

you've started ukcat prep too early
    start after AS exams
    i remember looking at it and freaking out
    i started mine mid august and sat it first of october
    they say you shouldnt start too early or too late with prep

ReputationRep:
    have a look at this student room page for how each university uses the UKCAT - a lot of them don't really care about it that much anyway http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT just remember the UCKAT has changed a bit this year so the 600Q book is now OUTDATED!!! :O not sure if the kaplan lot have got themselves together or not either, but it didn't change too much, from what i can tell

kaplan is a waste of money and a rip off
    there resources are crap-nothing like the real thing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ergo30)
    If you don't mind me asking, What medical school do you attend and what were your stats. I really wanna go to Newcastle as well and I would be thankful if you had any more tips for preparing for entry into medical school.

Thanks
    Still in A2 but I got offers from Newcastle, BSMS and Leicester, got rejected post-interview from Exeter. I've firmed Newcastle
    UKCAT: 757.5
    AS: AAAB, plus As in further maths and critical thinking but i don't really count those
    predicted: A*A*A
    Work experince: a week in a tiny community hospital, a year in a care home, other random volunteering stuff, a year of in-class maths support and reading support.

I pretty much applied to place that wanted a good UKCAT apart from BSMS, just wait till you get your score and do a lot of research into what the entry requirements are for each university and apply cleverly to suit your strong points. I did the kaplan course and the interview course which were good but pricey. DO revise for the UKCAT, and DO your research!
    good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiex1)
    kaplan is a waste of money and a rip off
    there resources are crap-nothing like the real thing!
    I think it's alright - the course itself and the bookelt are a bit of a waste of time but the fact it gives you 5 timed practice papers is the most valuable! the practice papers from kaplan are way more realistic then the ones in the book or on the website, and they give you a mark out of 900 and let you use the on-screen calculator. It did take me 2 months of working to save up enough enough to do it but I found it worth it in the end I took it on the 31st August and I started revising properly like 2 weeks before it

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone getting work experience? I'm finding it really hard to organise some. I've been volunteering at an old people's home for 6 months though, which has been beneficial.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what to do next year...

It's basically do I do carry on with all four (biology, chemistry, maths and physics)
    or do I drop physics. A lot of people carry on with all four at our school...

After exams we start A2, so I'll have a month or so to get an idea of the workload. I've also been told that I can carry on with it in september if I wish and drop physics if it gets too much...
    I'm also doing an EPQ at the moment, so I thought once that's done i'll have less work anyway...

Don't really know what to do...will just have to see what happens I guess
    With the possible exception of Oxbridge (I didn't apply there and am not sure on their admissions policies) universities make an offer based on 3 A2s, not 4. I rang all of my choices (Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and Nottingham) and asked if I would have any advantage offering 4 A2s. They all said there would be none, so I dropped RS after AS and applied with Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I managed to secure AAA offers from all four, so I would strongly recommend that if there is ANY POSSIBILITY that the pressure or workload of taking four might throw you, that you ace three rather than take the risk with four.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go on the Kaplan course but tbh I don't think I can afford it. Did you go on the course itself or have the tutoring?
    If you go to eBay, you can get my course material cheaply.
    It really does make difference. I have used most other UKCAT
    book, but the course material is different in that it gives
    you step-by-step tips.

ReputationRep:
    Still in A2 but I got offers from Newcastle, BSMS and Leicester, got rejected post-interview from Exeter. I've firmed Newcastle
    UKCAT: 757.5
    AS: AAAB, plus As in further maths and critical thinking but i don't really count those
    predicted: A*A*A
    Work experince: a week in a tiny community hospital, a year in a care home, other random volunteering stuff, a year of in-class maths support and reading support.

I pretty much applied to place that wanted a good UKCAT apart from BSMS, just wait till you get your score and do a lot of research into what the entry requirements are for each university and apply cleverly to suit your strong points. I did the kaplan course and the interview course which were good but pricey. DO revise for the UKCAT, and DO your research!
    good luck!
    Wow your stats are amazing, say if i got a UKCAT score of 715 or slightly above 700, would that still be enough?
    Both BSMS and Newcastle are two of my favourite Unis next to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Officegirl4)
    Hi, nice to meet you too! Where about are you from if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm from Trinidad and Tobago (the Caribbean)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sadiex1)
    you've started ukcat prep too early
    start after AS exams
    i remember looking at it and freaking out
    i started mine mid august and sat it first of october
    they say you shouldnt start too early or too late with prep
    Yeh lol...I've just been looking at it and thinking AAAH!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clara Eliza)
    With the possible exception of Oxbridge (I didn't apply there and am not sure on their admissions policies) universities make an offer based on 3 A2s, not 4. I rang all of my choices (Edinburgh, Newcastle, Leeds and Nottingham) and asked if I would have any advantage offering 4 A2s. They all said there would be none, so I dropped RS after AS and applied with Physics, Chemistry and Biology. I managed to secure AAA offers from all four, so I would strongly recommend that if there is ANY POSSIBILITY that the pressure or workload of taking four might throw you, that you ace three rather than take the risk with four.
    Thanks for the advice
    I'm going to see how my ASs and the A2 work post exams goes before I decide

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice
    I'm going to see how my ASs and the A2 work post exams goes before I decide
    No problem! Any more questions, just fire away and good luck with your application.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, sorry if this question has already been asked, but i was wondering how much do imperial look at your UMS for AS level when applying to medicine and what sort of UMS should you get?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's alright - the course itself and the bookelt are a bit of a waste of time but the fact it gives you 5 timed practice papers is the most valuable! the practice papers from kaplan are way more realistic then the ones in the book or on the website, and they give you a mark out of 900 and let you use the on-screen calculator. It did take me 2 months of working to save up enough enough to do it but I found it worth it in the end I took it on the 31st August and I started revising properly like 2 weeks before it
    are you being serious? I found the kaplan ones MUCH easier!!! I got avg of 750+ in all the papers with 2 sections being 900 on some occasions.
    Unless I had a really horrible UKCAT test ? haha!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.