The Student Room Group

Margaret Thatcher fans launch alternative #1 campaign

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Their job is to play the top 40, not censor it. They clearly have no problem playing pitbull and other such tripe anyway...
Reply 141
It's getting there :smile:
Massive foot in mouth for the anti-Thatcher and anti-capitalism brigade if this rumour is true..

Facebook page
Apparently the rights for "Ding Dong" belong to Rupert Murdoch. If this is true then it's possibly the most amusing thing ever that the Thatcher-bashers are just handing their money to him.

They'd been planning to do this for years and nobody thought to check where the money would go?
Reply 143
Original post by The Mad Dog
Massive foot in mouth for the anti-Thatcher and anti-capitalism brigade if this rumour is true..

They'd been planning to do this for years and nobody thought to check where the money would go?

They never bothered checking that Simon owned the rights to rage against the machine.

It is.

The Wizard of Oz was an MGM film.

However, in recent years, MGM has had to file for bankruptcy protection in the US. The appointed administrator being Barclays Capital.

20th Century Fox (a NewsCorp company) has negotiated the worldwide rights to MGM's library until 2016 and consequently will receive all profits from royalties due. You could not make it up.

The irony of these people giving their money to another figure of popular left wing hatred must have escaped them.

I already posted this.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's the rights to the movie you're talking about? Song rights within films are not necessarily vested with the owner of the movie rights. Billboard says it's out of copyright and generally song rights belong to the song writers or those they have sold them to.

EDIT From the sheet music, it does look as if MGM did own the original song rights.
http://www.wendyswizardofoz.com/sheetmusic/dingdongthewitchisdead/Image1.png

I should answer this, missed it before...

One of the points they made about the new 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' film is that they had to base it around the original books - they couldn't use anything invented for the film (like the ruby slippers or the Wicked Witch's mole) because they don't own the rights.
Original post by marcusfox
I should answer this, missed it before...

One of the points they made about the new 'Oz: The Great and Powerful' film is that they had to base it around the original books - they couldn't use anything invented for the film (like the ruby slippers or the Wicked Witch's mole) because they don't own the rights.

That has nothing to do with what she said.
It's now #6!
Reply 149
I think sky news mentioned this last night, I was straight on itunes to download it. Not actually listened to it yet though.
Reply 150
It is comparable to the censoring of the sex pistols. She hasn't been in power for 20 years, yet we still feel the effects of her policies today. She changed the face of Britain beyond recognition and made it much more greed-focused and obsessed by 1991 than it was in 1979. She actively said there was no such thing as society something Labour never really managed to reverse and the Conservatives are now using as a tactic again with their turning the poor against each other policies.

Quite right, it doesn't matter how long the silly cow has been away from the cameras and out of politics, she ruined lives. I find that the people who are eager to tell others that we should respect her passing are the very people that were unaffected by her politics, back in the day. If you, or your parents, lived through the 1980's and struggled, then you have every right to bash Maggie in whichever way that you see fit. In my opinion, she was lower than whale excrement.
This is God Save the Queen all over again- That was number one and this is number one no matter what the BBC say.
Reply 152
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
This is God Save the Queen all over again- That was number one and this is number one no matter what the BBC say.

Offical charts company things ding dong is going to be nunber three ish ive read them beinf quoted as saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by astrojg
Offical charts company things ding dong is going to be nunber three ish ive read them beinf quoted as saying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Meh not important, the point I was trying to make is you can't just censor music for the hell of it.
This
Reply 155
Isn't that song a pisstake?
Original post by S4LM4N
Isn't that song a pisstake?

No. It's a light hearted punk song, nothing more and nothing less. The Notsensibles appear to be neither particularly pro nor particularly anti-Thatcher.

I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher
I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher
I'm in love ...with Maggie T
I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher Thatcher
I'm in love a' love a' love a' Margaret Thatcher Thatcher
I'm in love with Maggie T

Oh Margaret Thatcher is so sexy
She's the girl for you and me
I go red when she's on the telly
'Cos I think she fancies me

Sure it isn't a pisstake? Certainly reads like one and when you listen to it...
Reply 158
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Sure it isn't a pisstake? Certainly reads like one and when you listen to it...

No ****, Sherlock...
From the Notsensibles twitter.
https://twitter.com/Notsensibles

Haggis of the Nonsensibles:

My grandfather was a Christian and communist. I'm a fat, 50-year-old punk. You make your mind up about my politics.

Note the ironic, braying Tory accents at the end of the track for further evidence.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending