Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

You Are To Inherit A £4billion Fortune From A Previously Unknown Relative - What Do.. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The first few years would probably be traveling, booze and gambling. Hopefully in that time found someone to settle down with and just live off the interest

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    That would be one seriously lucky charity.

Half a billion spent in marginal seats would see off the Tories permanently. Cameron would have to try to get a job in PR again, but I would pay all PR companies not to hire him. He would end up as a hotel porter or something similar.

I would pay to get Kim Kardashian removed from all monthly, weekly and daily publications, plus her various relatives, in perpetuity.

One Direction would be retired and pensioned off and Harry would only have his hair to worry about henceforth.

Benedict Cumberbatch would come back to make another complete Sherlock. I would be the only one who could afford him.

TSR would be decked in pink and lilac.

My own special offshore island, 'FullofSurprisia' (somewhere in the Bahamas) would be declared a 'non tax-haven island', only suitable for those who pay their taxes in full.

I would have a really good massage once a week.

EDIT: Am I being negged because I said TSR would be in pink? I am willing to change that to cerise.
    Putting an end to the Tory party would be brilliant for UKIP!

ReputationRep:
    In order of importance:
    *Uni fund
    *Financial support for future
    *Give to family members
    *Give to friends
    *Donate to charity
    *Rest in the bank

Practical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deedee123)
    make myself and my family very comfortable, give some to charity, probably go on a world tour.
    always one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Buy multiple houses, cars
    Give £500mil to charity, put £500mil in an account not to be touched
    Go around the world for a couple of years chilling and visiting the sights
    Play high-stakes poker part time (Put like £50mil aside for the project which if I lost, oh well lulz)
    Get bored and start to work on ways to invest the money.. small companies, stocks etc..

EDIT: Oh, also buy Man United
    Yes, yes and YES! :yep:

I'd love to play a high stakes cash game with Dwan, Ivey, Negreanu, Lakk, Tony G and Helmuth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    You've just found out that you're to inherit a massive £4 billion fortune from a previously unknown long-lost relative who has just died. The fortune is to be passed down to the next of kin and you are that person.

What do you do now? What do you do with the money?

An actual real life story:
    1)pay off any current debts (e.g. student) and save money for any future debts (e.g. house)
    2)work out how much i spend annually, then save up what is equivalent of a lifetimes worth
    3)pay off parents debt if they have any
    4)think of what to do with the remaining money...

whatever happens to the money in the fourth point is technically irrelevant... all financial issues i would ever have would be removed completely and hence will never have money problems

im not sure i would buy things with the left over money... ill probably end up getting used to getting fancy stuff (mainly technology, which i dont think have a good resale price), then when i run out and everything becomes obsolete, im screwed...materialism can be a *****...

ill probably send some to charity and put the rest into my hobbies... e.g. buy parts to build a computer, buy equipment to try and build a robot, buy lumber to sculpt a grandfather clock like you see that kid do in class in the cleveland show etc...

ReputationRep:
    Shopping spree at Lidl. Or even perhaps buy Lidl.

ReputationRep:
    the chance of anyone winning is 1 in 1,000,000,000

waste of time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jargonglossary)
    In order of importance:
    *Uni fund
    *Financial support for future
    *Give to family members
    *Give to friends
    *Donate to charity
    *Rest in the bank

Practical
    mine above is pretty similar, in the same order too, except screw the friend bit... if they want some, theyll have to fight each other for it... deathmatch style :pierre:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I'd put it in a bank account and pretty much live as I wanted, but not a lot would change initially as I'd want to finish my degree. After that I'd just pursue things that interested me with friends, as really what I could do with that amount of money is fairly unlimited.

ReputationRep:
    Buy huge houses for my family members and for me
    Buy houses as investment properties, rent them out
    Invest in a business, not sure what type though

Then I'd go on a huge long holiday, buy cars and clothes etc, basically buy anything I've ever wanted
    & also give some to two charities: Diabetes Uk and Little Hearts Matter

ReputationRep:
    Give it to unsuspecting members of the public, via email?
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Get very over excited and probably faint. But I'd try and keep it quiet because apparently if you win the lottery and stuff people find you and send loads of depressing letters to you. I would probably put a lot of money into cancer research and dementia.

Also money to my mum, stepdad, sister probably offer to pay a lot of my cousin's wedding, my auntie and my gran would get a money too. I'm not really close with any other members of my family.

Also I'd buy so many clothes and pretty things.

Buy a holiday to Aus and NZ and Japan for the bf and me. Also a 3d ds for the bf.

Big trip for my friends and buy lots of presents. Buy a giant library and fill it with fantasy books. Tell Brandan Sanderson to shake a leg with his way of kings book.

Finish uni.

Then save the rest

ReputationRep:
    Check into rehab before I had a received even a penny of it :|

ReputationRep:
    I would buy a football team, maybe one in the midlands of this country, because there isn't a big club there right now, but it has a huge population so loads of glory hunting fans would move over to my team plus there is loads of space for a huge stadium. Also, clubs like Birmingham and Villa are all really **** right at the moment, so I could probably pick one up for a good price. I really want this to happen now. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    Hire an entourage of 250 body guards, pimp them all out like men in black and walk round like a boss.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Splash it in one day, probably

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Yes, yes and YES! :yep:

I'd love to play a high stakes cash game with Dwan, Ivey, Negreanu, Lakk, Tony G and Helmuth.
    That's an awesome line up

Although personally i'd have Blom over Tony G as he annoys me

ReputationRep:
    First thing I'd do is give a couple of million or so to my parents. Enough so they could retire now and live in comfort for the rest of their lives.

I'd like to do something charitable with the rest. Or invest it so I keep making more money which I give to charity.

Of course it's easy to say that when it's just hypothetical. Chances are I'd be much more selfish if it really did happen.

ReputationRep:
    Donate half of it to charity because you can still afford everything with 2billion anyway.
    I'd buy a big house in a desolate area with a nice view, i'd buy myself a nice Japanese sports car and i'd give some money to the family. With the spare money, i'll do loads of practical things and maybe invest some money into starting a business...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.