Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barksy)
    I'm not southern myself, but generally the north is a Labour stronghold!
    Anybody want to hazard a guess as which area's are Labour Strongholds.

Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland
    NE England
    NW England
    Midlands
    SE England
    SW England
    London

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I'd love to see Red Ken as leader of Labour........They'd never get in.
    They said that about Attlee and Wilson.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    They said that about Attlee and Wilson.
    I'll give you Attlee, but Wilson was a huge mistake.

Society has moved on now. Nobody wants to see a resurgence of Old Labour. Even Labour know it hence the creation of new Labour.

ReputationRep:
    I approve of their economic policy. Also I love how pissed off the right wing get about anything to do with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Duck)
    I approve of their economic policy. Also I love how pissed off the right wing get about anything to do with them.
    they have one?

you vote out of spite? do you hate your country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesabbath)
    they have one?

you vote out of spite? do you hate your country?
    They support tax and spend economics in times of crisis.
    And no, i dont actually vote yet, i'm 17 :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a729)
    A somewhat deluded sense of reality or selfish reasons ( I.e more welfare, more public sector pensions , more quangos and EU intervention , etc..)
    One of the first thing Cameron did was create a new QUANGO; and there hasn't really been a reduction in the existing ones.

Nowhere in the last Labour manifesto was a commitment to more spending in any area, including benefits or 'welfare'. The welfare bill wouldn't be so high had this government not totally failed in its economic policies meaning more people require benefits.

Not quite sure what you mean by 'more' public sector pensions in fairness, but then I'm pretty sure you don't know what you mean either, so I won't ask you to elaborate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I support Labour because:

The minimum wage

More young people going to university than ever

SureStart

Low hospital waiting times for routine operations

More Police than ever

More Doctors than ever

More teachers than ever

More nurses than ever

Building Schools for the Future

New Deal on jobs

Longest period of economic growth since the industrial revolution

Massive investment in the NHS (trebling of budget since 1997)

98% of people being seen within 4 hours in A&E

Human Rights Act

Low unemployment

Low inflation

Equality Act

Civil Partnerships

The Olympics

Northern Ireland disarmament

Kosovo

Maternity rights

Paternity rights

Freedom of Information Act

More children out of poverty

Tax credits

Free bus travel for the elderly

Acting decisively during the banking crisis

Raising the top rate of tax to 50p in the pound for the wealthiest

Repeal of Section 28

Whilst I won't claim to support everything the last Labour government did, or everything Ed Miliband is talking about now, I'm a firm believer that this country is a far better place thanks to 13 years of Labour administration than it was in 1997 when John Major left office.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusfox)
    95% of Labour supporters believe it's possible to leave behind a trashed economy without a single negative consequence.

Then when an incoming government fails to deal with said trashed economy, without even the slightest pain, they can be accused of being clueless idiots.

Of course, this position is always held without ever once revealing a single secret from their top-secret plan B (something to do with pot, gold and a rainbow apparently).

This is why Labour are always so much better at being in opposition, than in office, where anything, no matter how unlikely, is always possible.

This is also why they are so good at remaining there.
    Please tell me how Labour trashed the economy?

[hint: Osborne backed Labour spending plans up until the financial crisis, and Labour did not cause the near collapse of the global financial system]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For me, Labour have been on the right side of history. They are the party of the NHS, the minimum wage, anti-racism, pro-gay marriage. They reflect my values and belief that a society should be judged on the basis of how it treats its most disadvantaged members.

I’d probably be better off materially by voting Conservative, but some things matter more than cold hard cash in my pocket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphful)
    Please tell me how Labour trashed the economy?

[hint: Osborne backed Labour spending plans up until the financial crisis, and Labour did not cause the near collapse of the global financial system]
    Already did earlier in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckyweck)
    I'm northern and I wouldn't dream of voting for labour. Unless of course they changed their policies and then I'd have to review my stance.

I've seen a lot of northern bashing lately and people saying that the only thing up here is a deep resentment of the south. Not seen any northerners hating on the south though!

We aren't all impoverished scrounges up here. In fact where I live most of the constituencies are Tory! My town has been Tory for the last solid 20 years or so. Please don't make such broad generalisations. I'm sure there are many southerners that claim benefits and vote labour too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It all depends really lol

Liverpool and Manchester are highly unlikely to ever have a Tory majority lool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphful)
    The welfare bill wouldn't be so high had this government not totally failed in its economic policies meaning more people require benefits.
    LOL, that's a good one. The out of control welfare spending by the past government was caused by the current government.

http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/sp...c1li111lcn_40t

From around £55bn in 1998 it has risen to over £110bn in 2010. And the welfare rises over the past three years that you blame on the Conservatives cuts are the Conservatives having been forced to enact the increased spending plans that Labour had already put in place in 2010 - as you can see it has hardly risen since then due to the cuts - cuts to Labour's pre-planned spending increases, not actual spending cuts.

Increases made by Labour that they knew the country would not be able to afford, and would have to be cut by the nasty party with all the associated fallout - basically political point scoring.

Just look at the massive rise for 2010!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Oh I really don't get people who vote Labour. Labour represent:

- Destroying Britain (anything traditional has to go because it's right-wing)
    - Crushing achievement
    - Making people less responsible for their actions
    - Rewarding failure
    - Encouraging laziness
    -So you're implying that anything traditional has to stay just for the reason it's traditional? Why? Times change; cultures adapt. Tradition will always have its place but not at the expense of progress for the benefit of the majority. It was traditional to go around torturing Foxes with dogs; it wasn't right. It was traditional to discrimante against gay people, or black people, or disabled people; that definitely wasn't right.

- Enabling more young people from disadvantaged backgrounds to go to univerity, and possibly being the first generation of their family to do so, is crushing achievment?

- I'm not sure how you've reached the conclusion that people are now less responsible for their actions because of Labour; enlighten me? The same goes for your last two points. Really, if you're going to make such statements at least give some indication as to what you actually mean and your evidence for making such assumptions.

ReputationRep:
    To quote my (totally impartial ) Geography teacher explaining the difference between left-wing and right-wing politics:
    "If you vote left, that means you don't hate people"

ReputationRep:
    Anybody want to hazard a guess as which area's are Labour Strongholds.

Scotland
    Wales
    Northern Ireland
    NE England
    NW England
    Midlands
    SE England
    SW England
    London
    Labour have never stood in Northern Ireland.

ReputationRep:
    Might I recommend Economics for Dummies. Chapter 1 and 2 will demonstrate to you the importance of economics to our way of life.

Sure, you can debate that we move away from it, but we'll loose out on all the good stuff like medical improvements, foodstuffs etc. Economics will then return through public demand.

Please just get the book and read two chapters from it just to atleast see another, well grounded point of view.
    Lmao, you've completely misunderstood my point, but to be honest you're exactly the kind of person I had in mind when I wrote that post. I'm not saying that economics is not important, far from it, but it does seem to me that it's not the most important thing in life. Unfortunately you're pretty much brainwashed from the day that you're born that it is.

I suggest you stop reading books from the "for dummies" series, and start reading something more fulfilling.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    "If you vote left, that means you don't hate people"
    Except the wealthy people who subsidise the idle degenerates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdm123)
    No, they have everything to do with economics. All of these inventions, innovations and products can be delivered to people efficiently because of a focus on economics. If nobody cared about economics/money, nobody would produce anything, and you would have trouble feeding yourself, let alone post on the Student room using your iPad/iPod/PC on your high speed internet.

Let me guess, you don't want to work yourself, but you expect to have all these aforementioned products, which means you expect others to work hard and "obsess over economics" as you say. Delusional.
    Your post is actually laughable because you've failed to come to grips with anything I said. My point is that money is pretty much revered as a religion in our society, and I don't agree with that. If you want to live your life believing that money is the most important thing in life, then you will live a pretty pathetic, unsatisfying existence.

Let me guess, you're middle-class and sit around ****ing off to your GQ magazine. You are without a doubt the delusional one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    You may wish to go and look up the definition of economics.....

"Managing limited resources for unlimited needs"

So it's a little difficult for us to exist without economics..... don't you think?
    Sorry when did I say that economics is useless? Read the post again. I just don't agree that money should be revered in the way it is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.