Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What is it like on a plane? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Me and my boyfriend leave on 6th June and come back on 13th Yeah we are planning to do things outside of the city. Two things we have booked so far is on 8th June we are going whale watching and then the tour company takes us on the golden circle tour which features volcanos, geysirs and waterfalls and on 10th we are going to the blue lagoon. We are renting a car over there so we will end up all over the place lol

I've heard of the Perlan and think we will visit there too

There is a 24 hour self service ice cream parlour across the road from where we are staying apparently! :P
    Ooooo lucky you! I'm going back next April, if you're really into Geography and culture then you won't want to come home. It's an amazing country. The Golden Circle tour is amazing and the Blue Lagoon is incomparable! Although it will make your hair feel weird so make sure you wash it a few times after! I don't really know what else to say about Iceland, even though I could probably talk about it all day but you'll understand when you go - it's just not like anywhere else. The Harpa building in Reykjavik is a really nice place to visit and we went to go see some glaciers, I'm not sure if that's part of the tour. I'm sure you'll have an amazing time - good luck! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daisystones)
    Are you visiting Perlan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I've been wondering what that building was called for ages! The view from the top is great - I loved it. Is that the building with the geysir type thing in it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liammm)
    I've been wondering what that building was called for ages! The view from the top is great - I loved it. Is that the building with the geysir type thing in it?
    Yes! This one...?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370109850.903026.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  80.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    All I do is sleep

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes! This one...?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1370109850.903026.jpg
Size:  80.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, that's the one!

Here's 2 of my photos from the top of it. As you probably can guess, I'm not exactly a photographer! I love the coloured buildings though! Name:  373958_4375125261102_759502642_n.jpg
Size:  100.3 KBName:  488325_4375158741939_455856124_n.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  134.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's the one!

Here's 2 of my photos from the top of it. As you probably can guess, I'm not exactly a photographer! I love the coloured buildings though! Name:  373958_4375125261102_759502642_n.jpg
Size:  100.3 KBName:  488325_4375158741939_455856124_n.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  134.3 KB
    The buildings are lovely! I'm getting tempted to make an Iceland picture thread!

ReputationRep:
    The buildings are lovely! I'm getting tempted to make an Iceland picture thread!
    Yeah the buildings are great! They somehow slightly remind me of Holland. Haha! Maybe you should make the thread! Knowing me, I'd spend all night choosing which photos to put up! I took at least a thousand in the two weeks I was there

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the buildings are great! They somehow slightly remind me of Holland. Haha! Maybe you should make the thread! Knowing me, I'd spend all night choosing which photos to put up! I took at least a thousand in the two weeks I was there
    I think everything about Iceland is great haha! Maybe I should make a general holiday picture thread, has there been one before? Oh dear, I always take too many photos, I think I took about 700-800 in the 4 days I was there! My camera is waterproof so it got a trip to the Blue Lagoon which was exciting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    You walk in the airport and check in your luggage- They weight it, check your passports/ tickets, send the luggage down the belt.

Then you go through security (take off metal stuff, walk through the x ray, get felt by another man/ woman if you're (un)lucky)

Then you wait in the departure lounge till the plane is ready for boarding- look around the shops or whatever.

Then when called you walk to the gate (follow the signs)

Wait in a queue at the gate

Then you either walk along the jet way to the plane (It's like a tunnel on stilts), or if the plane is parked away from the terminal you have to get a bus to the plane.

Then you show your ticket to the flight attendants and they check it.

Then you shove your hand luggage in the bits overhead or under the seat in front.

Then you wait for the plane to get clearance to taxi (While the FA check the cabin and do the safety stuff)

Then you take off (It's just like sitting in a car that's continuously accelerating)

Then you're in the clouds within no time

Then the FA walk down the plane with food/drink/lunch/duty free/ whatever

Then you land (Like hitting a pot hole then stopping quickly in a car)

Then you get off

Then you go into the terminal, they check your passport, maybe go through security again, collect luggage, walk out airport.
    This. Exactly.

Bit more about the actual flight... take off and landing can be even a teeny bit scary for experienced fliers. You can feel the plane moving at immense speed. Sometimes gets a bit bumpy. When the plane goes up (or down for landing) you can feel the pressure in your ears. They will pop and block up throughout the journey but especially when landing and taking off. If you experience turbulence, the plane might shake or the pilot might drop it a certain number of feet. It's normal, don't panic. It doesn't mean anything bad. You might have just hit a bit of a storm or winds or something. Flight attendants come up and down offering drinks once or twice on easy jet, theres a light and a button for the flight attendant above your head if you need anything. Don't leave your seat when the seatbelt signs are on. When they're off, you're free to get up and go ask a friend something or go to the loo . They'll only be on for take off, landing, and when there's turbulence. It might just be me, but landing feels a bit like a roller coaster for me. Haha. Have a good holiday.

ReputationRep:
    I think everything about Iceland is great haha! Maybe I should make a general holiday picture thread, has there been one before? Oh dear, I always take too many photos, I think I took about 700-800 in the 4 days I was there! My camera is waterproof so it got a trip to the Blue Lagoon which was exciting
    I'm sure there must be some holiday thread buried somewhere. I've probably found one and put a few pictures up already! Yeah, I had a habit of relating everything to Iceland when I was with my friends - eventually they got a bit tired of it :rolleyes:

800 photos in 4 days?! Jeez, I thought I was bad! Although to be honest, the landscape is so incredible that it's impossible not to take so many photos. I'm making it my mission to go back next year and visit our friends over there.. I guess it's time to start saving now!

ReputationRep:
    All your talk of Iceland is making me even more excited!
    I wish it was tomorrow I was going!
    Only 5 days, I'm sure I can wait...well, I will just have to haha

ReputationRep:
    Sounds silly but I am actually starting to get sick with nerves! I don't think its mainly the flight, I think its just a mix of everything :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmin25)
    Sounds silly but I am actually starting to get sick with nerves! I don't think its mainly the flight, I think its just a mix of everything :/
    When are you going again? I was soooo nervous when I went but as soon as you get going it's fine. You can always take a book or something to take your mind off it. Let me know how you find Iceland! X

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    This is my personal experience: Food is terrible and the whole experience ("artificial air" pumped around) makes for a very nauseating journey. But that's just me. :laugh:

edit: Sorry if I sounded like a troll but was just my experience. Didn't mean to put you off...

ReputationRep:
    When are you going again? I was soooo nervous when I went but as soon as you get going it's fine. You can always take a book or something to take your mind off it. Let me know how you find Iceland! X
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I leave on Thursday, so three days away!
    And I will let you know how it goes! x

ReputationRep:
    Ooooo I'm so excited for you! You'll have a lovely time, don't worry about it

ReputationRep:
    When they ask you to turn off all electronic devices it's because they want your attention if the plane crashes on takeoff and landing. They also ask for the window shutter things to be up so the cabin crew can judge if it is safe to evacuate the aircraft in a crash. And finally if it's dark outside they will turn off the cabin lights and say some tosh like 'We have to turn the lights off so you can see the view outside better', or 'because it's EU regulations'- it's because if the plane crashes on landing your eyes will be used to the dark therefore will not need to adjust upon evacuating the aircraft (bright lights in the aircraft suddenly to dark outside), and it's also to stop people not wanting to evacuate a well lit cabin for a dark and cold outside.

I love all these little safety precautions that are disguised as something less frightening!

(I'm not trying to put you off btw. If it helps, there are two autopilots that are constantly checking each other as the plane approaches the airport so if one messes up the other autopilot will notify the crew/still be in control )

ReputationRep:
    Its not scary at all!

I was worried the first time I flew to though tbh.

Here is a load down what to expect at the airport -
    For departing flights:
    1. Arrive at the airport.
    2. Locate the ticket counter for the airline which you will be using and check in. You will give the agent any baggage which needs to go into the cargo hold.
    3. Proceed to the security checkpoint for a search of your person and carry-on baggage.
    4. Locate the designated boarding area for your flight and wait for the boarding call. To pass the time, you may draft a letter to complain about the conduct of the security personnel.

For arriving flights:
    1. Secure your carry-on items from the plane's overhead baggage compartment.
    2. Exit the aircraft and proceed to the baggage claim area.
    3. Wait an indefinite period of time for your suitcase to appear, and grab it.
    3.5. If your flight involves crossing an international border, you will have to make a stop at a Customs checkpoint for another inspection.
    4. Proceed out of the airport terminal building and locate ground transportation to your destination.

ReputationRep:
    I love flying

Honestly, all you really need is some sweets to suck when taking off/landing because of the pressure change.

Its all really easy. Walk into airport, check in bags, go through security, check flying times to check if the flight is delayed/ check gate, go around the shops, check onto plane, and fly.

Don't forget your passport.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe I leave tomorrow :O I'm really excited, probably won't sleep tonight!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.