Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tealover96)
    I'm desperate to have a lucid dream now!
    I've been forgetting about trying to have a lucid dream until I'm in bed or after I've just woken up.
    So, for the past week I've just been telling myself before I sleep that I'll be dreaming etc.
    nothing yet! Though I've been less aware of my dreams this week anyway because..exam stress!
    I shall try again tonight!!
    Exams come before hobbies! :P Either way now you have something to refer back to Good luck, you'll get there soon!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djpatch)
    Trying what? Your quote came out funny :P

I've had about 24 lucid dreams and in nearly all of them I've had almost full control
    Sorry didn't want to repost your whole post again. I meant trying the DILD and realities checks as well as the dream journal see if I can build toward the WILD. You're so lucky! What kind of things did you do in them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EonBlueApocalypse)
    Sorry didn't want to repost your whole post again. I meant trying the DILD and realities checks as well as the dream journal see if I can build toward the WILD. You're so lucky! What kind of things did you do in them?
    Haha that's fine. Well I've done a lot of things, from flying without the use of wings and running at super speed to wearing armour purely made out of sapphire. Those were some pretty fun times :P

ReputationRep:

Not quite accurate, it's about 7.3% of the general population (Referenced here) and, like it says I only get it when I lay on my back so who knows, I could be one of the rare ones :P Again, edited accordingly
    Yea, 7.3% seems like a better statistic. Rounded to the nearest 90%? Haha. But I know when alot of people describe "sleep paralysis," they say they get a tingling sensation throughout their body, and it feels extremely heavy - if they are on their back, then they feel that there's a metal weight pressing into their chest. If they are on their stomach, they feel that someone is sitting on their back. I've experienced both of those, including the sensations of someone violently shaking the bed (I now sleep on my stomach - genuinely feels like I'm about to topple over!), having limbs distorted in weird but non-painful directions, having air blown in my face through a straw tube (also another one of the reasons I sleep on my stomach - sleeping on my back is really not good for me! haha) having spider webs blown out of my nose everytime I breathed, and someone farting next to my ear. And still no genuine paralysis yet. Which leads me to believe that some of these claims of SP just might be an exaggeration - then again, I am yet to experience visual hallucinations of any sort. So who knows, I may just be an anomoly!

With me it's very strangely weirdly optional. I can choose whether I go through paralysis or not... in that state, there seems to be two very definitive modes between "asleep" and "awake". If I'm still in "asleep", I can't move at all. If I switch to "awake", suddenly I have control over my body again. But apparently, no one else goes through this so

Edited accordingly, but the last point is not strictly true. I have managed to WILD when I've just gone to bed before as have a few other people I know. However the dream I had was very unstable and lasted less than 5 seconds
    I've heard it's possible, but you literally need to stay aware for 90 minutes. I'd just pass out lmao, congrats on actually making it xD

I did ask for a sub-forum but was told that there's not enough content to fill a sub-forum every week. They did suggest making a social group as well though. I'll maybe do that depending on how many people are willing to join

Thanks for suggesting the edits, really helped the tutorial become more accurate I hope you stick around this thread since you seem to be very experienced in the WILD area, especially with the amount of knowledge you read up on
    I'll join, I love feeling useful, although I'm not quite an expert yet! I know there are people out there who started studying this topic well before the invention of the internet through travelling and textbooks, studying the ancient Buddhist practies of Dream Yoga and Sleep Yoga - so I feel privileged to be part of an era where information is so easily obtainable. I'll fully get back into the art of Lucid Dreaming once exams are over. Cause at the moment, when I try to WBTB, I'm just laying in bed thinking "I could be revising, I could be revising..." Maybe I'll have a lucid dream about revising tonight. You never know xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Another)
    Yea, 7.3% seems like a better statistic. Rounded to the nearest 90%? Haha. But I know when alot of people describe "sleep paralysis," they say they get a tingling sensation throughout their body, and it feels extremely heavy - if they are on their back, then they feel that there's a metal weight pressing into their chest. If they are on their stomach, they feel that someone is sitting on their back. I've experienced both of those, including the sensations of someone violently shaking the bed (I now sleep on my stomach - genuinely feels like I'm about to topple over!), having limbs distorted in weird but non-painful directions, having air blown in my face through a straw tube (also another one of the reasons I sleep on my stomach - sleeping on my back is really not good for me! haha) having spider webs blown out of my nose everytime I breathed, and someone farting next to my ear. And still no genuine paralysis yet. Which leads me to believe that some of these claims of SP just might be an exaggeration - then again, I am yet to experience visual hallucinations of any sort. So who knows, I may just be an anomoly!

With me it's very strangely weirdly optional. I can choose whether I go through paralysis or not... in that state, there seems to be two very definitive modes between "asleep" and "awake". If I'm still in "asleep", I can't move at all. If I switch to "awake", suddenly I have control over my body again. But apparently, no one else goes through this so
    That is so weird! But so awesome! lol Well it would appear that I've had the wrong meaning the whole time, what I meant by sleep paralysis was just not being able to move without putting in more effort. I like to describe it as having a lead sheet over my body. Yeah the things you've experienced sound pretty crazy. I've always wondered how people sleep on their front, how do you breath? lol. I can only go into what I call sleep paralysis if I try to sleep on my back, other than that I can't induce it. I suppose that's kind of choosing. I've only experienced one hallucination and it was of a tall man stood at the end of my bed staring at me. It freaked me out really badly

I've heard it's possible, but you literally need to stay aware for 90 minutes. I'd just pass out lmao, congrats on actually making it xD
    It did take a while, when I was in the dream world it shook so violently that it woke me up

I'll join, I love feeling useful, although I'm not quite an expert yet! I know there are people out there who started studying this topic well before the invention of the internet through travelling and textbooks, studying the ancient Buddhist practies of Dream Yoga and Sleep Yoga - so I feel privileged to be part of an era where information is so easily obtainable. I'll fully get back into the art of Lucid Dreaming once exams are over. Cause at the moment, when I try to WBTB, I'm just laying in bed thinking "I could be revising, I could be revising..." Maybe I'll have a lucid dream about revising tonight. You never know xD
    Haha I'm in a dream yoga class at the minute I don't blame you, get those exams done. I hope you do well in them Also, I'll be sure to make that society tomorrow as it's getting late now :P

ReputationRep:
    So last night, I realised I was in the dream, but I thought I'd wake up to life (but it was still another dream).

And yah, although I knew it was a dream. Nothing happened, and I just woke ip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    So last night, I realised I was in the dream, but I thought I'd wake up to life (but it was still another dream).

And yah, although I knew it was a dream. Nothing happened, and I just woke ip
    Well if you knew you were dreaming then that's a lucid dream, congrats! I find it amusing that you woke up into another dream expecting to wake up in real life :')

ReputationRep:
    Well if you knew you were dreaming then that's a lucid dream, congrats! I find it amusing that you woke up into another dream expecting to wake up in real life :')
    I had a motor scooter kind of thing :lol: and I thought it was real...

I tried falling back to wake myself up, but I just "hurt" my back (you don't feel pain in dreams but it still :hurt"?)

But yeah, I can lucid dream, I tried using powers and that, didn't work...

ReputationRep:

I tried falling back to wake myself up, but I just "hurt" my back (you don't feel pain in dreams but it still :hurt"?)

I've always wondered about the falling backward thing. I think it's a miss-conception that it will wake you up because of the film Inception. Every experience of falling backwards in a dream I've heard of has not woken the person up. Hmm, odd.

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered about the falling backward thing. I think it's a miss-conception that it will wake you up because of the film Inception. Every experience of falling backwards in a dream I've heard of has not woken the person up. Hmm, odd.
    I read it on this thread saying it'd wake me up, must have misread
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Although I guess that many members have answered the thread starter's question before, I want to give the same answer: a lucid dream is an one in which the dreamer knows that he is dreaming, in other words: he is aware of dreaming.

I had some lucid dreams yet. It is a nice feeling to be aware of dreaming, because you can control your dreams and decide what happened next. These are dreams which should never end in my opinion.

ReputationRep:

Oh no, pain in dreams can very much happen. In a non lucid I had a while ago, I was sitting in a car's back seat, with two police officers in front of me. A robot came along, opened the car door, shot the two police officers dead, and then threw a toaster at me. That toaster hurt like hell. In other times, pain has actually crossed over from the dream into waking life and hung around for the entire day... I still don't have an explaination for this.

Falling backwards is only a problem if you attempt it at the start of your dream, since at this point not everything is stabalised properly, and too much stimuli can jolt you awake. However, a good distance into the dream, or if you become lucid via DILD, you shouldn't wake up.

Powers are strange. In some dreams I feel like Jesus, and other times I have almost zero control. One tip is don't try to do too much at once and take baby steps - e.g. if you're trying to burn a building down with fire, start by creating a small flame in your hands. Of course, there are always going to be people who can go super saiyan at any given opportunity - lucky people.

EDIT: Just another thing to say about WILD - Don't be alarmed if your vision starts out like a 140p youtube video at the start of the dream. This is completely normal - just means you have to take things slow and do an extra bit of stabalizing before you go anywhere!

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, pain in dreams can very much happen. In a non lucid I had a while ago, I was sitting in a car's back seat, with two police officers in front of me. A robot came along, opened the car door, shot the two police officers dead, and then threw a toaster at me. That toaster hurt like hell. In other times, pain has actually crossed over from the dream into waking life and hung around for the entire day... I still don't have an explaination for this.

Falling backwards is only a problem if you attempt it at the start of your dream, since at this point not everything is stabalised properly, and too much stimuli can jolt you awake. However, a good distance into the dream, or if you become lucid via DILD, you shouldn't wake up.

Powers are strange. In some dreams I feel like Jesus, and other times I have almost zero control. One tip is don't try to do too much at once and take baby steps - e.g. if you're trying to burn a building down with fire, start by creating a small flame in your hands. Of course, there are always going to be people who can go super saiyan at any given opportunity - lucky people.

EDIT: Just another thing to say about WILD - Don't be alarmed if your vision starts out like a 140p youtube video at the start of the dream. This is completely normal - just means you have to take things slow and do an extra bit of stabalizing before you go anywhere!
    I've had powers before, and the likes :lol: it's just I'm actively trying to start now!

Aah I see pain I've never felt much, sometimes I gasp when I wake up when it's scary

I have that at times :mmm:

It's so cool, "stabilise"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyJ_26)
    I didnt think it is was this scary i actually started getting bit freaked out but after a while i thought its nott too bad
    Yes, it depends on what sort of dreams you have and what type of person you are. Lucid dreaming can actually be shown to be happening using an EEG scan and sometimes instead of just being aware, you can control some of the things which happen in the dream e.g. make things appear, wish yourself to a different place, get out of a situation. Also, sometimes you may find certain things happen in lucid dreams that don't happen in normal ones e.g. you can smell things, feel pain (sometimes). I don't know if this is the case with other people as senses are supposed to be suspended during REM sleep which is when you dream but everyone dreams differently and my dreams tend to be pretty crazy or messed up.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else get that thing where they have a dream and there are lots of people and some of the main people are people you cannot recall ever meeting? Also, when one person out of many strikes you and stays in your mind even though you are not sure why and you have never seen them before. Sorry, I like psychology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PricklyPorcupine)
    Does anyone else get that thing where they have a dream and there are lots of people and some of the main people are people you cannot recall ever meeting? Also, when one person out of many strikes you and stays in your mind even though you are not sure why and you have never seen them before. Sorry, I like psychology
    Many many times :P One person? Ha, funny you should say that. There's this one person in my dreams, I call her the girl with black hair. She comes up every so often but also knows what she's doing. It's almost as if she's another lucid dreamer, she knows the dreamworld like I do and has similar control. But she is a lot more intelligent than any other dream character. I've spent so much of my time wondering who she is :')

ReputationRep:
    Okay so the lucid dreaming society has been created! You can find and join the group at this link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2385 I think a bug needs to be posted though, can't seem to post new threads within the group
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Okay so the lucid dreaming society has been created! You can find and join the group at this link: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=2385 I think a bug needs to be posted though, can't seem to post new threads within the group
    Great, thanks I didn't even realise groups were a thing! I've not had much progress recently, sadly - I've fallen out of the habit of doing reality checks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Great, thanks I didn't even realise groups were a thing! I've not had much progress recently, sadly - I've fallen out of the habit of doing reality checks
    Same here! Ah, keep trying! Think of some of the awesome things you can do in a dream for motivation :P

ReputationRep:
    Okay so the LD society group thingy will now post new threads in the 'Entertainment' sub-forum, let's just hope we don't annoy anybody in there too much :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.