Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    I know everyone's gut reaction was Al Qaeda, but how about someone working for the North Koreans?

We were warned to look out for 15th April and no one would suspect them sneaking a guy in through China or something.
    North Koreans can't do jack.

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to push some kind of agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm not sure what you mean. The judgement goes against the IRA, if they had friends in America maybe they'd want to make a point.

People are saying that Boston is arguably one of the most 'Irish' places in the US, but I don't know this claim's veracity.
    Why would a group who want a unified Ireland, go about that by conducting a civilian attack on an area which supplies financial help for their effort. Irish American's supporting when the group is attacking in Derry is a different situation from supporting a group when they are conducting attacks on you city. It would be a terrible way to drum up support for your cause.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronco2012)
    I know everyone's gut reaction was Al Qaeda, but how about someone working for the North Koreans?

We were warned to look out for 15th April and no one would suspect them sneaking a guy in through China or something.
    I don't think so; it'd be massively detrimental to them for very little gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usamakhanlodhi)
    Really horrible what's happened but I think John green did a very good tweet about it

"@realjohngreen: In the absence of info, who/what we assume is responsible ends up saying a lot more about us than it does about anyone or anything else."
    I like that Maureen Johnson is also making sure people know that they don't have to feel like they have to watch, she's a smart cookie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    Please don't let it be Islamic extremists.
    And every Muslim hopes the same...

ReputationRep:
    They say that it was a homemade bomb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qasidb)
    North Koreans can't do jack.
    Obviously it wasn't a nuke or anything but sending a single bomber in with an unsophisticated device really wouldn't be beyond their capabilities.

Was probably Islamic extremists.

ReputationRep:
    I knew a lot of people running today, and I would have been running myself had I not moved to Italy from Boston a couple months ago. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I lived around the block from the explosions. I walked down Boylston St all the time. This is my home, man.

The Turin half-marathon is this weekend, and I'll be running for everyone who suffered today in Boston.

ReputationRep:
    CBS saying the police have CCTV images of a man appearing to put a backpack in a trash can near the scene of the explosion

ReputationRep:
    http://boston.cbslocal.com/live-video/

Live stream if anyone wants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EleanorKeats)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-22149863

"Thou shalt give equal worth to tragedies that occur in non-English speaking countries as to those that occur in English speaking countries." I think we could all benefit from remembering this choice phrase before we start talking about the recent Boston bombings. Let the article abovebe testament to this. How can you say how tragic the Boston bombings were when equal, if not more tragic, events are transpiring even this very day. Hundreds are murdered everyday in Iraq in attacks like these and the West doesn't bat an eyelid, its shocking. Wake up.

Though of course I understand that the explosions in Boston were tragic and that these kind of incidents are unexpected in the US.
    Did you just quote Scroobius Pip?

ReputationRep:
    the world is slowly turning to ****
    cant believe the devastation that was inflicted on the people attending

ReputationRep:

A man? On the roof of a nearby building on the scene. :holmes:

Odd stance etc. if a bomb had just went off I would be running out arms flailing everywhere.

Almost certainly nothing mind, just saw it somewhere.

ReputationRep:
    Police have just made a statement confirming there was an explosion at the library which they haven't confirmed as related but they are treating it as if it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doggyfizzel)
    It wouldn't be the best way to drum up support. Much easier and safer ways, so it would be a pretty desperate conspiracy theory. Post 9/11 an actual attack wouldn't be required.

It doesn't really matter, it matter what people think. If people feel threatened the war on terror will still be relevant to the American people.

I would imagine they will be pretty easily. The bombs seem pretty small time and with unexploded devices, I'm guessing the forensic teams will be able to get on the trail.
    But I can imagine the theories and the theories are very scary in my view

Thats what concerns me as well, it would cause unnecessary paranoia and may cause another armed conflict possibly.

Yeah thats very true, and it definitely seems like a loner who no one would have predicted to have caused such a thing, otherwise such a thing from a organised group would've been on their radar. I hope its a single person, it would end the nightmare of people and make them feel safe once that person is caught.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.nypost.com/p/news/nationa...9uC2PDGIjYBalO

Authorities ID a suspect in marathon bombings - he is being guarded in Boston hospital
    Last Updated: 4:46 PM, April 15, 2013
    Posted: 4:28 PM, April 15, 2013
    Authorities have confirmed to The Post that they have identified a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombing.

The suspect — a Saudi national who suffered shrapnel wounds in today's blast — is currently being guarded in a Boston hospital.

A law enforcement source confirmed to The Post that 12 people were killed and nearly 50 were injured in today's blast.

ReputationRep:
    2 dead 64 wounded currently according the The Boston Globe

God

ReputationRep:
    Library bombing confirmed, not a controlled explosion.

What kind of low life blows up a library? What next, a hospital?

Tragic but this is the world we are living in now with constant fear of terror.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.