Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Majeue)
    I did the same though? I find it kind of unfair to be honest and that's why i hate coursework.. cause some schools just give their pupil's the answers, not saying you got given them, but i know of schools that do just tell the pupils the answers.
    To be honest, I think a lot of it was down to luck. My school never tells pupils the answers, we get 15% below the national average for coursework, and 15% above the national average for exams, which shows just how many schools do tell pupils the answers! In the evaluative tasks, I got 15, 16 and 20, however they were similar to what we did at GCSE, and possibly even slightly easier in some ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizz-ie)
    To be honest, I think a lot of it was down to luck. My school never tells pupils the answers, we get 15% below the national average for coursework, and 15% above the national average for exams, which shows just how many schools do tell pupils the answers! In the evaluative tasks, I got 15, 16 and 20, however they were similar to what we did at GCSE, and possibly even slightly easier in some ways.
    The teacher in my school tells us the answers..

It's awful..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benn_95)
    Pretty straightforward.

Firstly, the loading of sucrose into the phloem at the source:

1. Hydrogen ions are actively pumped out of the companion cells into the surrounding tissues. This builds up a high concentration of hydrogen ions outside the companion cells.

2. The hydrogen ions diffuse down the concentration gradient, they diffuse back through special co-transporter proteins which allow sucrose to diffuse into the companion cell at the same time.

3. This builds up a high concentration of sucrose in the companion cells, which then diffuse into the sieve-tube elements via plasmodesmata.

Next we look at how the sucrose moves from the source to the sink:

1. The diffusion of sucrose into the sieve tube element lowers the water potential of the phloem, causing water to enter the sieve tube element via osmosis down the water potential gradient.

2. The water increases the hyrdostatic pressure at the source, this causes water, along with the sucrose, to move from the area of hydrostatic pressure to an area of low hydrostatic pressure, the sink. This is mass flow.

At the sink:

1. The cells at the sink have a low sucrose concentration, so the sucrose moves from the phloem into the surrounding tissues.

2. Water also leaves the sieve tube element for the same reasons as before (although the start and finish have swapped). The sucrose lowers water potential in the surrounding cells and thus water leaves the sieve tube element via osmosis, down a water potential gradient.

Sucrose has now been translocated from the source to the sink!
    Top man! Appreciate that!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi. so I know this is a pm exam. does I start at 12 or 1?much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scorpio22)
    Hi. so I know this is a pm exam. does I start at 12 or 1?much appreciated.
    1pm
    Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybug.hugs:@xoxo)
    1pm
    Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks.you too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo)
    1pm
    Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mine starts at 1:45 o.o

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who found some of the questions to be a bit weird? Really screwed it up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by geor)
    Yes! Like the calculation question and the trunk question? Was a hard paper compared with old ones!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It felt like a lot of the explain questions should have been suggest questions!

ReputationRep:
    I liked the paper

I think I lost around 7/8 marks in total

ReputationRep:
    If they were going to put so much about plants, they could have least asked for the mechanism of translocation or something. The paper was better than the January one I think, still too heavily based around one topic for my liking though.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing on heart, nothing on translocation, transpiration. The 3 topics i revised the most for considering it to be one of the harder ones and nothing comes up on them. The exams are so heavily focused towards one topic it's unreal. There's no way exams are fair test of students capability, its somewhat just how lucky you got while revising and what you revise towards the end. I'm absolutely fuming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladybug.hugsxoxo)
    1pm
    Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey. how did it go?
    14/24 predictions. i think i love my biology teacher.
    However i made so many stupid mistakes at the vague 2 marker questions.
    I think i have done okay but shoulda done better.

ReputationRep:
    it was a difficult paper i thought? fingers crossed for lower grade boundaries?
    i was hoping for an initiation and co-ordination question on the heart

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I LOVED this paper, and lol 14/24 ? dont mean to brag but i predicted every single topic correctly. and it was MUCH easier compared to previous papers, inshallah kheir

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.