The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lord Harold
Private schools cannot be banned due to a few people's jealousy. Private schools create uncorrupted boys and girls who do not smash up bus shelters or stab old women for their purses. We are purely at school for the education, not the fleeting relationships or chances to frustrate a teacher, we just try to create the best future possible for ourselves and leave everybody else well alone. The fact of the matter is Public schoolboys or girls do not believe that Comprehensives should be banned because we couldn't give a toss, we are interested in education and our future and we are not constantly trying to put others down because of their better education.

Classic selfish right-wing propaganda. Yeah, you 'couldn't give a toss'. That basically says it all...

Conversely, private schools cannot be condoned due to a few people's snobbishness.

And whether or not you're destined to become a criminal is based on upbringing, not the school you go to.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by JamesTheCool
Classic selfish right-wing propaganda. Yeah, you 'couldn't give a toss'. That basically says it all...

And whether or not you're destined to become a criminal is based on upbringing, not the school you go to.

We are taught properly surrounded by decent people and role model teachers, therefore our criminal destiny is determined by our school to be unexistent.
In addition, to be honest I'm happy what I'm doing and learning and everybody in their council schools obviously are as well, so why don't we just leave one another alone to learn in our preffered environments, surely that is reasonable.
Each for their own

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
We are taught properly surrounded by decent people and role model teachers, therefore our criminal destiny is determined by our school to be unexistent.
In addition, to be honest I'm happy what I'm doing and learning and everybody in their council schools obviously are as well, so why don't we just leave one another alone to learn in our preffered environments, surely that is reasonable.

Wow. I've met quite a few warped snobs in my life, but you're something else. I'm not even going to bother arguing with you any further. All your comment shows is that turds cannot be polished, not even those who come from a world full of pinot noir sippers named Edwardo and Sebastian...
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think the way to sort this problem out is through abolishing private schools. There is a reason that those on higher incomes are more likely to go to private schools and it is not primarily due to the fact that they can afford it (although this is a contributing factor). The state schooling system quite frankly is awful. State schools and colleges do not encourage learning, they do not encourage you to explore a subject out of the boundaries of the courses specification and enforce rigid exam methods which are incomparable to what students would be expected to produce at university. It's embarrassing that this countries education system is so poor that some feel the need to spend tens of thousands of pounds a year on education; knowing that if they send there children to a state school they will likely achieve far worse grades and while maybe being more socially well rounded are less likely to get a good university place and less likely to get a reasonable job. If you can afford to send you children to a place of education where this would not be the case. I'm in a state college and I would never wish this on my children if I could afford in the future to send them to a state school.

You can not fix these problems by banning private school and forcing those who go to them to submit themselves to substandard education. They should be in a position where they can say "I can afford for my children to go to private school but the state school system is just as good, so what is the point?" That is the way that we can improve education. By encouraging it to thrive, not banning the most successful sector of it.
Reply 145
I presume you'd ban red trousers as well?
Reply 146
Original post by TheGuy117
Firstly, I realise that this thread has been done before, however I believe the Op was incoherent in his argument and didn't even put a reasonably strong argument forward, instead, he just rambled. So here is my concise argument, with just 2 points.

Equality
Quite an obvious place to start is the argument that if by removing wealth as a factor of a child's academic success, the educational system and future generations of society as a whole would be a lot more equal.
Just look at where the top universities are in terms of proportions of students from private school - at the top end.
http://www.studentbeans.com/student-money/a/the-posh-university-league2169.html
Now look at this, studies have found there is a bias in the selection process.
http://www.independent.co.uk/student/news/top-universities-really-are-biased-in-favour-of-private-school-pupils-8549126.html

More effective
Finland went from having a mediocre education system, to the best in the world, how? They banned private schools and made education equal for all
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/are-finnish-schools-the-best-in-the-world-2289083.html
If you look at other top countries for education, you will find they all have a similar ethos, while "Great" Britain sits in a mediocre 31st place.

I truly believe an education system where equality rules would greatly improve standards for the whole country. Since this is an "Educational Debate", what are your thoughts on this?

I would upvote you, but apparently I've done it to you too many time before so instead...
YES, I AGREE!
Reply 147
Original post by Insanity514
Private schooling does give you an advantage in gaining a place at a good university/good course that's pretty much evident. I would also say it makes much more rounded individuals. However to say it should be abolished is wrong even if it is unfair in a sense.

A private school is a business just like any other service provider like Tesco or a drycleaners. They provide you with an education and other activities in return for money. There is nothing unethical or unfair about this point. What would be unfair is stopping owners of a private school from running their "business". Yes it might be annoying that students from a rich backround are able to go to a potentially better school than the typical student but I still don't think this is unfair.

If you say this is unfair then in my opinion most of the "rich" student's entire lives are "unfair". They may wine & dine better, have better leisure activities, live a comfortable life etc etc.

If we abolish pvt schools then it would be unfair on those who want to go to one, those who can afford to go to one and those who own one. The only way to improve our education system is to better our state education.

I don't see how the Finland case has anything to do with fees. There are a bunch of factors that could determine why their system is better than ours.

If someone had a business that would kill your parents when they got too old, would that be unfair? I hate making crude comparisons but my point is just that, just because something is a business doesn't mean it can do no wrong.

And anyway, the difference between education and food is that education is what sets you up for the rest of your life. The way society kind of works (and more over capitalism) is that if you work hard you will have the money to buy the nice food. I believe that this is a great concept but is only truly comes into play when your parents wealth doesn't have such an impact in determining how nice the rest of your life will be, and hinders people who work hard.

I guess its more like healthcare in my opinion; everyone deserves the same
Reply 148
Original post by tufc
Equality should be created by pulling those at the bottom up the ladder, not by kicking those at the top down.

Equality should be created by giving everyone an equal chance to climb the ladder, and not letting some people piggy back on their parents shoulders
Wow. I've met quite a few warped snobs in my life, but you're something else. I'm not even going to bother arguing with you any further. All your comment shows is that turds cannot be polished, not even those who come from a world full of pinot noir sippers named Edwardo and Sebastian...

Oh that old line, 'I'm not even going to bother arguing with you' you wouldn't believe the amount of people like you who have used that to get out of thinking of some sort of response. I would not ever suggest the closure of all comprehensives because people obviously seem to enjoy going there and learning in that sort of environment. I however enjoy going to a public school and learning in that type of environment so I really don't understand your issue with me doing so. I don't see why there can't, in your world, be some sort of choice as to what school you go to some like one some like another and I don't want to deny another person I their preferred style just because I prefer the other, unlike you.
Original post by GoodDay
Equality should be created by giving everyone an equal chance to climb the ladder, and not letting some people piggy back on their parents shoulders

As Margaret Thatcher once said 'You would rather the poor be poorer provided that the rich were less rich.' It is an analogy that can be applied here. You are not interested in those at the bottom of the ladder being pulled further up just the ones at the top being pulled down. With your attitude equality in universities etc will NEVER be achieved.
Oh that old line, 'I'm not even going to bother arguing with you' you wouldn't believe the amount of people like you who have used that to get out of thinking of some sort of response. I would not ever suggest the closure of all comprehensives because people obviously seem to enjoy going there and learning in that sort of environment. I however enjoy going to a public school and learning in that type of environment so I really don't understand your issue with me doing so. I don't see why there can't, in your world, be some sort of choice as to what school you go to some like one some like another and I don't want to deny another person I their preferred style just because I prefer the other, unlike you.

What on earth do you mean 'people obviously seem to enjoy going there?' Says who? Your attitude is that those from lower economic backgrounds are also lower forms of human, and that they don't deserve a better education than you, because they are inferior to you, whereas the privileged people are 'special' breeds, because they're superior to the rest of us in every possible way. Maybe your thoughts aren't as black and white as that, but that's fundamentally it, if you look deep into the recesses of your soul. You know, public schools implicitly brainwash their pupils to think this way, and you're a classic deluded victim of the such exploits of stupidity and ignorance. You should feel embarrassed...

Look, I want you to understand, a preference is something you want. It's a first choice. I can't believe I have to spell this out, especially to someone who's privately educated. Hypothetically, many people would like to go to public school, but there's one problem: they can't afford it! Nobody 'prefers' going to a state school, when better schools exist. Jesus...

But since you go to public school, your opinion must be important than mine...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 152
As Margaret Thatcher once said 'You would rather the poor be poorer provided that the rich were less rich.' It is an analogy that can be applied here. You are not interested in those at the bottom of the ladder being pulled further up just the ones at the top being pulled down. With your attitude equality in universities etc will NEVER be achieved.

Have you ever thought that maybe its the people being at the top that causing others to be pushed down?

And also, I don't think comps aren't as good as private schools just for the fun of it. I would make a guess what it might be but my limited education means I have no idea (but I think it might be money...)
(edited 10 years ago)
I like the way that people have turned this debate into a class war. From what a lot of people have said you would have thought that all the rich were evil psychopaths deliberately driving others into poverty so they can enjoy their private education, and the poor were all skiving unemployed benefit cheats who would rather make the rich poorer for no good reason.

^^ It's this that creates a division between private and state education, there is such a huge amount of hostility between both sectors and for no good reason. This whole debate seems based on self-righteousness and jealousy, it's ridiculous.
What on earth do you mean 'people obviously seem to enjoy going there?' Says who? Your attitude is that those from lower economic backgrounds are also lower forms of human, and that they don't deserve a better education than you, because they are inferior to you, whereas the privileged people are 'special' breeds, because they're superior to the rest of us in every possible way. Maybe your thoughts aren't as black and white as that, but that's fundamentally it, if you look deep into the recesses of your soul. You know, public schools implicitly brainwash their pupils to think this way, and you're a classic deluded victim of the such exploits of stupidity and ignorance. You should feel embarrassed...

Look, I want you to understand, a preference is something you want. It's a first choice. I can't believe I have to spell this out, especially to someone who's privately educated. Hypothetically, many people would like to go to public school, but there's one problem: they can't afford it! Nobody 'prefers' going to a state school, when better schools exist. Jesus...

But since you go to public school, your opinion must be important than mine...

I really don't understand how you can keep on arguing with me when the facts are there. You can apply to any school you like whether you are rich or poor as there are such things as bursaries and scholarships. If you were so desperately unhappy, which I don't believe for one minute you are, in your state education you could have left and applied for a bursary at any public school across the country, failing that I'm sure that you could have done an entrance exam to a free grammar school.
Just because you didn't get this education and claim that it would have been impossible financially, which as previously stated is nonsensical, doesn't mean that you have to ruin it for everybody who is.
As for the brainwashing, you are the one who has been brainwashed by a state education, you are constantly told that you have the inalienable rights to do what the hell you like creating a situation in which you are out of control and have a 'what are you going to do about it' attitude. State schools could not give a straw what happens to you once you leave, they really couldn't care less whereas it is quite the opposite in a public school.
You are in fact the one who thinks he is a 'special breed' and your attitude to those of a higher social status is that they are lower forms of human. You are the one who should feel embarrassed.
Original post by GoodDay
Have you ever thought that maybe its the people being at the top that causing others to be pushed down?

And also, I don't think comps aren't as good as private schools just for the fun of it. I would make a guess what it might be but my limited education means I have no idea (but I think it might be money...)

No, because it is not. You are pushing yourselves down by dedicating your lives to attempting to pull those higher than you down. The lower classes contribute the least to the state but get the most out which is then destroyed and the cycle starts again.
Perhaps your self proclaimed title of limited education may also explain why your last paragraph did not make sense. From what I can understand of it I can tell you this now, Public schools have bursaries and scholarships for those from poor families, anyone can join a public school however you are so deluded as to suggest that people can't afford to go, wrong.
Reply 156
No, because it is not. You are pushing yourselves down by dedicating your lives to attempting to pull those higher than you down. The lower classes contribute the least to the state but get the most out which is then destroyed and the cycle starts again.
Perhaps your self proclaimed title of limited education may also explain why your last paragraph did not make sense. From what I can understand of it I can tell you this now, Public schools have bursaries and scholarships for those from poor families, anyone can join a public school however you are so deluded as to suggest that people can't afford to go, wrong.

You honestly believe the reason people from poorer backgrounds remain there because they dedicate their time to bringing down the rich?

'dedicating your lives'

'The state is destroyed and the cycle starts again'

'anyone can join a public school'

'deluded as to suggest that people can't afford to go'

I don't even know what to make of these claims

My mum works at a private school, she oversaw the process of scholarships and its a patronising process in which 1 out of 8 of the smartest kids in the area succeeds.
Original post by GoodDay
You honestly believe the reason people from poorer backgrounds remain there because they dedicate their time to bringing down the rich?

'dedicating your lives'

'The state is destroyed and the cycle starts again'

'anyone can join a public school'

'deluded as to suggest that people can't afford to go'

I don't even know what to make of these claims

My mum works at a private school, she oversaw the process of scholarships and its a patronising process in which 1 out of 8 of the smartest kids in the area succeeds.

Your misquotations did not really succeed as an argument as they are taken out of context and grossly misquoted. And yes I do believe that people from the lower classes remain there because they walk around with a chip on their shoulder and use their social status as an excuse as to why they didn't succeed in life. Hard work is all that is required to be successful. On your last quote, I go to a private school so I know what it's like first hand including the scholarship system, which if your mother claims is a patronising system proves that she is either lying or not doing her job correctly. I also wait in anticipation to find out what reliable and official source that your 1 in 8 statistic is from.
Reply 158
maybe private schools create social divisions, but let's face it, if you were to ask someone if they'd prefer for their children to go to a state school or a private school, they'd probably say private.

You can go private in every other sector of society, so why not education? What gives you the right to say children shouldn't be allowed to achieve as much as they possibly can? It would be great if children from public and state schools were to integrate a bit more, to show the pupils state school children aren't thugs who knife you and private school pupils aren't posh snobs, but to subject all children to a mediocre education simply because you think paying for education is wrong is wrong.

And also, people from poor backrounds often stay in poor backrounds because it isn't cool in their social circles to work hard and dedicate themselves, whereas in private schools a good work ethic is encouraged by pupils and teachers. At the same time, some private schooled people are that bit patronising and superior - not going to get them far
Original post by francesf
maybe private schools create social divisions, but let's face it, if you were to ask someone if they'd prefer for their children to go to a state school or a private school, they'd probably say private.

You can go private in every other sector of society, so why not education? What gives you the right to say children shouldn't be allowed to achieve as much as they possibly can? It would be great if children from public and state schools were to integrate a bit more, to show the pupils state school children aren't thugs who knife you and private school pupils aren't posh snobs, but to subject all children to a mediocre education simply because you think paying for education is wrong is wrong.

So just allow 7% of the country to have the best possible education, while the rest of us 93% have mediocre to rubbish ones? Sounds fair...

Latest

Trending

Trending