Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do people have the moral 'right' to call each other fat? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edithwashere)
    I'm of the opinion that if you judge somebody on their physical appearance, doesn't matter if they're kermit the frog, it still makes you a shallow and unpleasant individual.

Fatness is demonized so much in the media, yet more and more people are overweight, and there's a myriad of reasons for being overweight. Over eating is just one of them, but sometimes people are so quick to judge that they don't even stop to think there could be other reasons - for example, a friend of mine has a terminal brain tumour, and the steroid treatment she has been given to try and save her life has made her weight balloon up. Now, she's technically obese - but is that her fault? No. She gets comments all the time like "stop eating you fat pig" and it's very hurtful.

That's just one individual and I know it's an unusual case, but I think if you're happy with how you look it can make your whole life more enjoyable. Being bullied for something that really has no effect on anybody but you is purely spiteful and there's no benefit to it.

As for a moral right though, I don't know what you're getting at. You have the right to call anybody a fat pig if you wish to, but I certainly think it makes you a bad person with a cruel streak. What's that old saying, "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"
    Hitting the nail on the head: looks do not determine self-worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    The truth is hard to swallow for fat people.

Ironically.
    So funny, but I'm not even fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firewater)
    "Location: UAE"

Ahh no wonder..
    I don't understand what you're getting at. Please explain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake-inator)
    Obviously not! in a world where starvation occurs, some people are indulging in more than their "fair-share" of food....
    You think if all people were not fat, the extra food they would have eaten will be shipped to countries where people starve? Okay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Fat =/= benefit scrounger. Where did you get that from?
    A lot of people on benefits tend to be overweight. Although I hate to reference tabloid media you just need open it on you average day to see various examples of morbidly obese people living off benefits.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    You are now calling facts offensive :facepalm2:
    Also seeing that you have to live, work with, and pay for a national health system, someone's weight is everyones problem.
    Yes, but why is size so different to someone's haircut or perfume? They're all personal choices.

Just because someone is fat it doesn't mean they're costing people money (if they are, they should pay for it themselves) or they're going to drop dead due to being or having a health hazard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Yes...

Pettyness is not a reason to shut up though.
    Why is inherently wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDudeson)
    The fact that it's appreciated in some societies won't help the fatsos in our society.
    They don't need help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    You think if all people were not fat, the extra food they would have eaten will be shipped to countries where people starve? Okay.
    Not immediately, but eventually! If all the fat people in a city ate less, and bought less, then less food would be imported to the city (over many years) and then one day someone would think, we are making too much food, we can either make less, or give to people who need it... In a world where charity is highly regarded (whilst I do not agree with it) surely that is what would happen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    I don't know, do people have the moral right to destroy the mining industry and create mass unemployment?
    What about creating unsustainable systems?

ReputationRep:
    They don't need help.
    Yes they bloody well do.

ReputationRep:
    Not immediately, but eventually! If all the fat people in a city ate less, and bought less, then less food would be imported to the city (over many years) and then one day someone would think, we are making too much food, we can either make less, or give to people who need it... In a world where charity is highly regarded (whilst I do not agree with it) surely that is what would happen
    No it wouldn't, simple economics. Look into food mountains.

ReputationRep:
    What about creating unsustainable systems?
    Such as?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvanceAndVanquish)
    I'm about 40lbs overweight and family and friends are always telling me I need to lose weight, and they're right. It's unhealthy and unattractive, and I appreciate them bolstering my determination. It's not like my feelings are so fragile that I need to be protected from the truth so that I can continue stuffing my face without thinking about the consequences. If someone prioritises your silly feelings over your concrete health and welfare, they obviously don't care about you very much.
    But if you've realised this yourself, why do you need others telling you what to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    No it wouldn't, simple economics. Look into food mountains.
    yes it would..... eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swanbow)
    A lot of people on benefits tend to be overweight. Although I hate to reference tabloid media you just need open it on you average day to see various examples of morbidly obese people living off benefits.
    In the past it used to be a sign of wealth and class to be overweight.

ReputationRep:
    yes it would..... eventually
    Look into food mountains. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Fat isn't a bad word and being fat isn't a bad thing. Because media and society put so much emphasis on slim being the ideal, people think describing someone as fat is an insult. If you're fat, you're fat. Fat and unhealthy doesn't go hand in hand. And if someone is fat and unhealthy that's their problem and business to deal with

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CaptainDudeson)
    Yes they bloody well do.
    If health reasons, they can find out by looking in the mirror, not Perfect Peter telling them what to do.

(Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Such as?
    The bloated public sector.

ReputationRep:
    My older brother suffers from hypothyroidism, a disease which affects the thyroid (the part of the body that controls metabolism) and I can not believe the comments that people are making on this.
    I don't know if people here are misinformed or just plain ignorant, not every fat person is fat because they overeat or do no to little exercise. My brother eats the same amount of food as the rest of my family yet he is the only one who is overweight. Kids at school bullied my brother calling him horrible names that really lowered his self-esteem. Do you really think that by calling someone else 'fat', they'll suddenly drop the junk food and run on the treadmill 24/7? No. If anything it makes them feel worse about themselves causing them to binge eat.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.