Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    But of course that is entirely the wrong measure from the perspective of a patient. The patient doesn't care whether something is better than a hypothetical placebo. The patient cares whether it is better than the status quo, whether that is receiving no treatment or receiving a treatment with which he or she is dissatisfied in some way.
    The problem is they're paying out the nose for water. They may as well just be drinking tap water, rather than paying £50 for 'double helix water'.

Edit: £50 for 15ml of said water. Bargain.

ReputationRep:
    But of course that is entirely the wrong measure from the perspective of a patient. The patient doesn't care whether something is better than a hypothetical placebo. The patient cares whether it is better than the status quo, whether that is receiving no treatment or receiving a treatment with which he or she is dissatisfied in some way.
    The patient should care when in many cases they are paying a significant amount of money for placebos and the suppliers are making a ridiculous amount of profit on them. It is deception, pure and simple.

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone who believes in the efficacy of homeopathy give me a peer-reviewed paper that supports the conclusion that it works as anything more than a placebo?

ReputationRep:
    Mitchel and Webb have looked into this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMGIbOGu8q0
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by pjm600)
    Did they taste sugary?
    I can't remember.

Anyhow I did take some phosphorus ones once for nosebleeds (they weren't sugary) and they completely stopped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pjm600)
    The problem is they're paying out the nose for water. They may as well just be drinking tap water, rather than paying £50 for 'double helix water'.

Edit: £50 for 15ml of said water. Bargain.

(Original post by coconut2456)
    The patient should care when in many cases they are paying a significant amount of money for placebos and the suppliers are making a ridiculous amount of profit on them. It is deception, pure and simple.
    Please find me the victims. Please find me people who are not entirely satisfied with the way they have spent their own money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinkhead)
    Can anyone who believes in the efficacy of homeopathy give me a peer-reviewed paper that supports the conclusion that it works as anything more than a placebo?
    http://ict.sagepub.com/content/5/4/362.short

Seems quite credible as it's sagepub, I've only read the abstract so far so it might be flawed.

ReputationRep:
    Please find me the victims. Please find me people who are not entirely satisfied with the way they have spent their own money.
    How about the children who died because their parents bought into this nonsense?

http://discoverhomeopathy.co.uk/?page_id=116
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Done: http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2011/s3260776.htm

ReputationRep:
    Please see the discussion here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ght=homeopathy

I don't think it works more than any other placebo.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Then why bother with double blind trials? If it doesn't make a difference? Sorry if that's a daft question, it justs seems logical
    True - OK, it probably does make a bit of a difference, but not as much as we feel it should (I'm afraid I haven't seen the numbers on this.)
    But partly I suspect it's to stop people receiving the true medicine from getting the placebo effect plus pharmacological effects - not necessarily the other way round (which would be to stop people receiving the placebo from getting the placebo effect). Also it helps prevent the doctor (un)consciously selecting those patients who will do best anyway for the drug, and thereby inflating the drug's effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    True - OK, it probably does make a bit of a difference, but not as much as we feel it should (I'm afraid I haven't seen the numbers on this.)
    But partly I suspect it's to stop people receiving the true medicine from getting the placebo effect plus pharmacological effects - not necessarily the other way round (which would be to stop people receiving the placebo from getting the placebo effect). Also it helps prevent the doctor (un)consciously selecting those patients who will do best anyway for the drug, and thereby inflating the drug's effects.
    Fair enough, that does make sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut2456)
    How about the children who died because their parents bought into this nonsense?

http://discoverhomeopathy.co.uk/?page_id=116
    That is a different issue, but on this issue, where is the evidence that most, if not all of these patients, would have accepted treatment by conventional medicine if they had not been offered homeopathy?

This is an example of the selective deployment of causation. It is isn't enough that you show someone declined conventional therapy in favour of homeopathy. You have to prove they would have accepted conventional therapy but for being offered homeopathy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iron Lady)
    Does it work?

Thanks.
    I wonder if this is how crystal meth was formed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mazzini)
    It was pills, not water...
    Homeopathic pills contain 100% lactose.

ReputationRep:
    it's pretendy medicine, why don't you just pretend you've tried it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Haddock)
    Wrong, lack of rigorous scientific study led people to believe the world was flat. Except it didn't, because we've known the Earth to be round since pretty much forever.
    Not forever, since around 500 BC when the Greeks came to that conclusion after erm... rigorous study.

ReputationRep:
    Rejection of homeopathy is a pretty decent litmus test for possession of basic scientific literacy and critical thinking skills.

ReputationRep:
    Homeapathy is to healthcare as theism is to philosophy.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    That is a different issue, but on this issue, where is the evidence that most, if not all of these patients, would have accepted treatment by conventional medicine if they had not been offered homeopathy?

This is an example of the selective deployment of causation. It is isn't enough that you show someone declined conventional therapy in favour of homeopathy. You have to prove they would have accepted conventional therapy but for being offered homeopathy.
    As, for instance, the person who wrote what I linked above did: http://www.abc.net.au/austory/content/2011/s3260776.htm

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.