Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chelsea F.C vs S.L Benfica, Europa League Final 2013 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    They did indeed:
    First champions league winners to fail to win the club world championship
    Hardly. The first three tournaments weren't won by the CL winners (Manchester United, Liverpool and Barcelona in 2000, 2005 and 2006 respectively). They were won by the South American teams.

It's only been since 2007 that European teams have usually had the upper hand, usually over South America.

(Original post by Nichrome)
    Where did you even get that from? Both Liverpool and Barcelona have failed to win it in recent years.
    And Manchester United in the first one (2000) but people forget about that as it was an unforgettable tournament from a European point of view, and the competition took a sabbatical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    First English club to have qualified for the European Cup in its inaugural season in 1956.
    Tbf they didn't even allow us in the competition that year. The FA's reasoning for that was ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    I absolutely feel for you. Another 92nd minute goal for you to deal with.

Cannot believe Benficas season was looking fantastic only for two late goals to kill all hopes and dreams.
    Yeh.. really disappointed with this loss. Against Porto, the loss was more annoying than anything because we played defensively the entire match and our luck ran out in the end, and it was kinda deserved that our negative tactics were punished in the end.

However, last night was different.. I was genuinely disappointed we lost that in the manner that we did.. we didn't deserve that at all. Just makes me wonder where the hell was this Benfica on saturday?! Why didn't we play like this at the Dragao!

And at the 92nd minute again... just ridiculous luck. The players were already in tears before the final whistle. No chance to react makes it an extremely crap way to lose.

Before the match, I thought Chelsea would be a team too good for us to handle, but after the match started I saw that we were in complete control for long periods of the game. Chelsea mostly just played Route 1 counter-attacking football... the sort that we've been used to when playing against the smaller teams in our league... I was quite surprised tbh. We dealt with it just fine except for the Torres goal, where it was just one mistake after another.

We have to blame our finishing as well though. We created openings but then kept trying to do unnecessary skills and stuff. We didn't test Cech as much as we should have, especially in the first half. It's a shame really, it was uncharacteristic of us to overdo it so many times like that.

Rodrigo starting was a mistake, I was surprised to see his name on the teamsheet and I think with Lima on the pitch we might have had more shots on goal.

I think the big turning point was probably when Garay went off injured. That really ruined our defence considering we already had Gaitan playing at left back. Really sucked that one of our most important players got injured in the most important match. Possibly his last match for us as well? Who knows...

Jardel wasn't good enough for a match of this level.. I think the corner could have been avoided in the first place because, to me, it looked like Jardel ran to the ball but then kinda slowed down and let Ramires have the ball. And as soon as the corner was given away, I looked at the time and felt reeeeally nervous...

I guess our luck had just ran out.. our post must have been hit at least 10-15 times in the Europa League so we've been really lucky to even get that far in the first place.

Disappointed for the players and the manager. Even JJ looked in tears.. which is to be expected. I dunno what to think about him anymore... I think we should keep him, we've had 4 amazing years with him, improving every season, with a lot of great players and playing some excellent football (I still remember the football that we played before he came along, and it was nowhere near this quality).

But I also think... surely there must be someone else who could do a better job with these resources? It's only in these last few years that we've actually spent "big" money on buying good players. The previous managers never had this kind of money to work with. With another manager, could we have been even more successful? I don't know..

Looking forward long-term, I doubt we'll be coming back to a European final any time soon.. we'll lose our best players once again which means we'll go back to square one. Matic and Garay will be really hard to replace. If JJ leaves, he'll probably end up at Porto.. and with the winning mentality over there, he could go on to become a highly successful manager. Unfortunately we just don't have that yet.

In the short-term, we have to win the Portuguese Cup.. hopefully, third time's the charm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aa22)
    Yeh.. really disappointed with this loss. Against Porto, the loss was more annoying than anything because we played defensively the entire match and our luck ran out in the end, and it was kinda deserved that our negative tactics were punished in the end.

However, last night was different.. I was genuinely disappointed we lost that in the manner that we did.. we didn't deserve that at all. Just makes me wonder where the hell was this Benfica on saturday?! Why didn't we play like this at the Dragao!

And at the 92nd minute again... just ridiculous luck. The players were already in tears before the final whistle. No chance to react makes it an extremely crap way to lose.

Before the match, I thought Chelsea would be a team too good for us to handle, but after the match started I saw that we were in complete control for long periods of the game. Chelsea mostly just played Route 1 counter-attacking football... the sort that we've been used to when playing against the smaller teams in our league... I was quite surprised tbh. We dealt with it just fine except for the Torres goal, where it was just one mistake after another.

We have to blame our finishing as well though. We created openings but then kept trying to do unnecessary skills and stuff. We didn't test Cech as much as we should have, especially in the first half. It's a shame really, it was uncharacteristic of us to overdo it so many times like that.

Rodrigo starting was a mistake, I was surprised to see his name on the teamsheet and I think with Lima on the pitch we might have had more shots on goal.

I think the big turning point was probably when Garay went off injured. That really ruined our defence considering we already had Gaitan playing at left back. Really sucked that one of our most important players got injured in the most important match. Possibly his last match for us as well? Who knows...

Jardel wasn't good enough for a match of this level.. I think the corner could have been avoided in the first place because, to me, it looked like Jardel ran to the ball but then kinda slowed down and let Ramires have the ball. And as soon as the corner was given away, I looked at the time and felt reeeeally nervous...

I guess our luck had just ran out.. our post must have been hit at least 10-15 times in the Europa League so we've been really lucky to even get that far in the first place.

Disappointed for the players and the manager. Even JJ looked in tears.. which is to be expected. I dunno what to think about him anymore... I think we should keep him, we've had 4 amazing years with him, improving every season, with a lot of great players and playing some excellent football (I still remember the football that we played before he came along, and it was nowhere near this quality).

But I also think... surely there must be someone else who could do a better job with these resources? It's only in these last few years that we've actually spent "big" money on buying good players. The previous managers never had this kind of money to work with. With another manager, could we have been even more successful? I don't know..

Looking forward long-term, I doubt we'll be coming back to a European final any time soon.. we'll lose our best players once again which means we'll go back to square one. Matic and Garay will be really hard to replace. If JJ leaves, he'll probably end up at Porto.. and with the winning mentality over there, he could go on to become a highly successful manager. Unfortunately we just don't have that yet.

In the short-term, we have to win the Portuguese Cup.. hopefully, third time's the charm...
    Yeah, you played completely different to how you played against us. The opening of this match reminded me of Porto and how we have been this season. Good in possession, some good chances but going into HT 0-0 feeling quite disappointed to have not grabbed a goal.

Lima not starting was a very odd choice. But it's just one of those decisions where if Rodrigo had scored it would have paid off, unfortunately for Benfica he didn't so there are many "what if?" questions to what may have happened if Lima had started, as the guy has grabbed a few important goals this season.

I think it would be very harsh if JJ is to be sacked, especially after this season. Still one cup final left next week and well, the Liga isn't all Porto's just yet. Anything can happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ra-ra-ra)
    Yeah, you played completely different to how you played against us. The opening of this match reminded me of Porto and how we have been this season. Good in possession, some good chances but going into HT 0-0 feeling quite disappointed to have not grabbed a goal.

Lima not starting was a very odd choice. But it's just one of those decisions where if Rodrigo had scored it would have paid off, unfortunately for Benfica he didn't so there are many "what if?" questions to what may have happened if Lima had started, as the guy has grabbed a few important goals this season.

I think it would be very harsh if JJ is to be sacked, especially after this season. Still one cup final left next week and well, the Liga isn't all Porto's just yet. Anything can happen.
    One thing I did notice, when lima came on in a few minutes benfica had a bit more attacking edge. Think matic had more space to do his thing as well and lima was involved in the buildup to the cardozo penalty.

I kind of felt that benfica had similar attacking quality to chelsea in the match in fact.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.