Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    3rd donation on Wednesday! My first one was really easy but the needle felt a little uncomfortable the 2nd time. Bringing a friend this time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gypsyclimber)
    I would love to donate blood but I am very small and weigh just under 8 stone. I've been told that you have to be over 8 stone to give blood, is this true?
    I am however an organ donor after my father received the life saving transplabt hed been waiting for for 7 years last year. It has changed not only his life but all of our lives as I finally feel like I have my dad back and we can go on days out and holidays. I would urge any of you to do a good deed and sign up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're 21 or older it should be fine but if you're younger it'll depend on how tall you are, there's a chart on the website explaining it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've given blood twice. The first time I felt fine afterwards, but last time I felt a bit faint afterwards and had to lie down. I'll definitely do it again though, however I've recently been to Egypt so I need to check that I still can...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the criteria can be tough. But if you don't fit there are many other ways to help too

ReputationRep:
    I've only managed to give blood a couple of times, I regularly get tattoos, have a full sleeve and working on another, so I'm constantly popping in and out. But after getting a tattoo, you can't give blood for a year. The only time I had a year between tattoos was when we had our baby and I was preoccupied.

ReputationRep:
    Giving blood for the first time on Monday!
    Hope it goes well and that I continue to give blood. Might consider taking my friend along

Good on y'all!

ReputationRep:
    Gave blood for the first time today! Was a very good experience, hardly any pain and I will definitely be doing it again
    Would totally recommend it to everyone.

And oh, those biscuits! Mmm

ReputationRep:
    Do they tell you what blood type you are etc? I've wanted to know, it sounds cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blueray2)
    Do they tell you what blood type you are etc? I've wanted to know, it sounds cool
    You get a card in the post after a while with your blood type on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of donating blood when I turn 18 in March (it will be my first time ever)!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=rjm91;42629572]"[COLOR=#666666][FONT=Arial]Previously, men who had ever had oral or anal sex with another man, even if a condom was used, were permanently excluded from blood donation in the UK. The change means that only men who have had anal or oral sex with another man in the past 12 months, with or without a condom, are asked not to donate blood. Men whose last sexual contact with another man was more than 12 months ago are eligible to donate, subject to meeting the other donor selection criteria."

Shocking isn't it?!

As well as that, when I gave blood last year, if you are a woman, and there is a potential in which you have had any form of sexual relations protected or unprotected with a man who has also had sexual relations with a man, with or without protection in the last 12 months, you weren't allowed to give blood either. I'm not sure if this is still the case but I was really surprised to read that.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    My next appointment is the 28th Jan Giving blood is easy and painless!!

You could save lives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenn.)
    I'm thinking of donating blood when I turn 18 in March (it will be my first time ever)!
    Do it!!

ReputationRep:
    Is there an upper weight restriction? Like do you have to be below a certain weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenn.)
    Why wait til then? You can do it from the age of 17

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pavzky)
    Do it!!
    Will definitely do it!

(Original post by Kabloomybuzz)
    Why wait til then? You can do it from the age of 17

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, in France, you must be 18 to donate blood.

ReputationRep:
    This is a great initiative. Personally, I’m proud of blood donors since they save million lives and are courageous enough to go on this process. The most important thing blood donors should take into account is food because they have to eat a lot to compensate their energy.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to have good/thick veins to give blood? Mine are thin! Nurses use regular needles for bloods, but sometimes have to use a butterfly if they're not prominent.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how long after Hep B and BSG Vacinations you have to wait before donating again, I had them in mid November and I am due to have my final Hep B around March time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paula92xo)
    Do you have to have good/thick veins to give blood? Mine are thin! Nurses use regular needles for bloods, but sometimes have to use a butterfly if they're not prominent.
    Lots of people use the butterfly just for the sake of it.

If you're veins are genuinely really small than that could be a problem yes. The blood bank nurses are very experienced though and i don't think you can say it will be a problem until you've tried.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 17, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.