The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Geography unit 4B 2013 June

Scroll to see replies

I have been using the ZigZag resources to revise for this exam along with just looking at extra material. In the last AIB in January, I used too much of my own knowledge and not enough quoting from the AIB so that is going to be my focus I believe for tomorrow!

Also, how many people died in the Darfield earthquake?
Reply 141
Original post by laauurraaaa
I have been using the ZigZag resources to revise for this exam along with just looking at extra material. In the last AIB in January, I used too much of my own knowledge and not enough quoting from the AIB so that is going to be my focus I believe for tomorrow!

There was no deaths in the Darfield quake just a few injuries
Reply 142
Original post by laauurraaaa

There was no deaths the due to the location of the epicentre, the epicentre was located in a rural area and therefore urban areas were not severely affected. The biggest effect of the Darfield earthquake was liquefaction and lateral spreading which weakened buildings and probably attributed to a lot of damage in the Lyttleton earthquake on the 22nd February.
Reply 143
I just have item 5 and figure p7 left to do now, now sure what can come up for those :s-smilie:
Reply 144
Also, if they ask you what other methods you could interpret e.g. figure p2 with like e.g. bar graph, do you only just explain why you chose it? or do you actaully need to draw it aswell?
Unit 4a rulessssssssssssssssssss
Original post by Gary
I just have item 5 and figure p7 left to do now, now sure what can come up for those :s-smilie:

Item 5 shows the social impacts so there could be a question on this!

What have you looked at for P8 - are the mini circles (earthquakes) shown the aftershocks? I dont know what to say about it
Reply 147
When talking about P4 and P5 is it wrong to say how it shows how people can manipulate the data to prove what they want? For example, in P4 you perceive a positive correlation between seismic energy and the time period shown whereas when looking at P5 you see a negative correlation. Therefore from this graph in P5 you would conclude seismic energy release in a given year is decreasing.
Original post by alicejackson95
How would anyone answer the questions "should people continue to live in these earthquake prone areas?" Im succkkk :frown: thanks

I think another useful thing you could use in this question are the benefits of living in an earthquake prone area; the landforms such as the Southern Alps attract a hell of a lot of tourists every year and provide amazing scenery (Lord of The Rings was filmed there I'm tempted to mention it in the exam :P,) they provide sites for hydroelectric power (around 56% of NZ electricity comes from hydroelectric.) and the Canterbury plains which result from the erosion of, and deposition of the sediment from the mountains provides very flat land which is very good for farming (it is flat and can hold lots of water.) This is probably part of the reason Lisa in item 5 says that the quality of life is very good there :smile: Hope it helps, I realise that I have lost my "element of flair" for this question now :P
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 149
Original post by AndyD95
It varies. I believe the previous one I looked at had questions ranging from 4 to 12 (potentially 15) marks. There's no set structure like there is for GEO3.

It looks to be 7, 8, 15, 15, 15. There are only ever 5 questions: A stats question, a website question, the BIG question, a 'thinking outside the box' question and something else related.
I have noticed that Item 4 contains a lot of info on why Christchurch was damaged more than Darfield:
- How long the event was
- It's location (urban/rural)
- It's geology (seismic lensing)
- Time of day of the event (day/night)
- Depth of focus
Reply 151
Original post by flower124
Think i'm feeling alright about this exam so far :smile: does anyone know if you're expected to use stuff like mann whitney and chi squared off the top of your head in an answer? EG. if you were asked whether there was a link between tectonic events and global warming the examiner would just expect you to incorporate chi squared into your answer? or would they specifically mention it? :smile:

You will never be asked to carry out a stats technique, as that is more aimed towards the more mathematical people taking the 4A paper. However you are expected to know the equations and how to go about presenting certain data types, so make sure you key up on that.
I have a few practice exam questions that our teachers gave to us, Hope they help
1 Study Figure P2. Describe how this data could be presented in graphical form. Justify the methods that you suggest. 8 marks
2. Critically evaluate the use of the websites mentioned in item 6 by planners or local people. 7 marks
3. To what extent are natural disasters becoming more common? 10 marker
4 "impact is dominated by the magnitude of an earthquake" Discuss this statement with reference to the two earthquakes in the Christchurch region. 15 marks.
5. Evaluate the view that Christchurch would have been "back to normal" after the Darfield Earthquake if it wasn't for aftershocks. (Don't know number of marks memory sucks)

I would be fine with most of these, I might struggle with the last two. For Number 4, what arguments would you put FOR the statement? I can find plenty against, but little for :s-smilie: Help, please?
Reply 153
Original post by Gary
and surely for a bar graph, there will be some missing values along the bottom cause some dates are not included?

Spearman's or Pearson's
Reply 154
I have absolutely no clue how to evaluate item 6 and discuss the usefulness of the sources, please, please help me!!!!!
Reply 155
hi, can someone tell me what they think the questions will be for each section of the booklet? i want to know what kind of things to focus on so i can prepare answers for them. im really stuck!! any help would be appreciated x
what graph are people using to plot the data from figure P2?
and what statistical test do we need to know and what for? help !
Original post by ricardobrew
what type of fault is the greendale fault (the red line in P8) - what type of fault was c'church and darfield :s-smilie:

Page 8 says that the Greendale fault slipped laterally, so thats a transform fault :smile:
The underground hidden fault under Christchurch that caused the second quake is a reverse fault; the fault plane dips towards the South ( that is, the flat plane along which the two blocks of the fault move is not vertical, and instead points diagonally towards the south) and the southern block has moved upwards whilst the block to the north has moved down, like this :

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-yUemyV8d4sI/TVm4M-yJ_rI/AAAAAAAAACc/NxGUhfBlpJk/s1600/ReverseFault.gif
Original post by flowers456
what graph are people using to plot the data from figure P2?

Bar chart, because one set of data are continuous (the temperature anomalies) and the other are discontinuous ( years)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending