Report 5 years ago
I've always brushed my teeth before breakfast
tooosh
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mangamaan)
Your enamel is going to disappear before you hit your menopause.
Bull****. Fluoride certainly has its problems but tooth damage definitely isn't one of them.
ShadowWolf21
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mangamaan)
Your enamel is going to disappear before you hit your menopause.
Seeing as I have regular dental checks, so far, my enamel's doing just fine, thanks. I ask each time for checks. And seeing as I brush 3 times a day, it doesn't seem so ridiculous does it? Once more than what is considered normal, as well as those who brush before and after breakfast?

Like I said, I eat after big meals, therefore, breakfast and dinner. Then before bed. Sorry for brushing once more than necessary. I dropped the brushing after every time I eat habit a while ago, but I still brush after dinner.
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tooosh)
Bull****. Fluoride certainly has its problems but tooth damage definitely isn't one of them.
I don't see how he came up with that, either. As it was aimed at me, I still find it daft people think I'm weird for brushing one time more than other people do. I'm ridding huge amounts of food to prevent dental problems, not cause them.

And it's not like I'm lathering my mouth with entire tube of toothpaste lol. Just a pea-sized amount, 3 times a day haha. Better start saving for those dentures then!
Apocrypha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
After, Mint flavoured milk and weetabix stuck in my teeth sounds annoying.
yennibubs
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Always brush before breakfast. I don't brush then have breakfast straight after anyway, so no, my food does not taste minty.

For those who are asking whether I would therefore brush my teeth before lunch and before dinner, well do you brush your teeth after every meal too?

I've always been taught that eating, then brushing teeth right after is not good for your teeth, unless you have an hour or more in between eating food and leaving the house. Personally I eat and leave straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ShadowWolf21)
I don't see how he came up with that, either. As it was aimed at me, I still find it daft people think I'm weird for brushing one time more than other people do. I'm ridding huge amounts of food to prevent dental problems, not cause them.

And it's not like I'm lathering my mouth with entire tube of toothpaste lol. Just a pea-sized amount, 3 times a day haha. Better start saving for those dentures then!
Dentists say you should brush a minimum of 2x a day as well. I'm not sure what this is based on or whether it's legit or not but it's ridiculous to laugh at someone for brushing 3x a day.

Brushing straight after eating isn't good according to the NHS, dentists etc. No idea why but it's not just an urban myth or something.
Apocrypha
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by yennibubs)
Always brush before breakfast. I don't brush then have breakfast straight after anyway, so no, my food does not taste minty.

For those who are asking whether I would therefore brush my teeth before lunch and before dinner, well do you brush your teeth after every meal too?

I've always been taught that eating, then brushing teeth right after is not good for your teeth, unless you have an hour or more in between eating food and leaving the house. Personally I eat and leave straight away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well if youre up early like me and in a rush most of the time, I wouldnt have time to remove the minty taste; I drink water through the night so dont normally wake up with that dry sour taste.

How is brushing teeth after eating bad for the teeth ? I'm intrigued.
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Dentists say you should brush a minimum of 2x a day as well. I'm not sure what this is based on or whether it's legit or not but it's ridiculous to laugh at someone for brushing 3x a day.

Brushing straight after eating isn't good according to the NHS, dentists etc. No idea why but it's not just an urban myth or something.
It's a habit from having braces I'd imagine. Like I said, I have OCPD (labels labels ¬¬) and I've greatly reduced my number of times brushing a day, and the number of times I wash my hands, too. I know it's not good to brush all the time, but 3x being called ridiculous is.... stupid, really. Especially as at dinner, I drink a can of coke usually, so I don't want that to be sticking around and eroding my teeth!

With brushing after breakfast, I wait until I'm done in the shower to brush, and after dinner, I wait until I've washed up the dishes. And then I brush my teeth before bed, which is usually in the small hours of the morning, so it's never exactly straight away! I just must brush at some point (silly routines)
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a habit from having braces I'd imagine. Like I said, I have OCPD (labels labels ¬¬) and I've greatly reduced my number of times brushing a day, and the number of times I wash my hands, too. I know it's not good to brush all the time, but 3x being called ridiculous is.... stupid, really. Especially as at dinner, I drink a can of coke usually, so I don't want that to be sticking around and eroding my teeth!

With brushing after breakfast, I wait until I'm done in the shower to brush, and after dinner, I wait until I've washed up the dishes. And then I brush my teeth before bed, which is usually in the small hours of the morning, so it's never exactly straight away! I just must brush at some point (silly routines)
You know, people who are OCD about washing their hands actually had it right all along. I remember reading a study where it took 20 seconds of handwashing to remove 90% of bacteria (30 seconds for 99%). 20 seconds is definitely considered OCD in a world where people think supermarket brand standard soap actually kills bacteria!
ShadowWolf21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You know, people who are OCD about washing their hands actually had it right all along. I remember reading a study where it took 20 seconds of handwashing to remove 90% of bacteria (30 seconds for 99%). 20 seconds is definitely considered OCD in a world where people think supermarket brand standard soap actually kills bacteria!
Well, as I'm going to be working in the healthcare system, I'll be washing them repeatedly anyway, and I won't look strange for it Hooray!

PS: And my hand-washing was a bit much, even by OCD standards? Each time I went to the bathroom, or at any chance I'd get, I'd wash my hands, then re-wash them straight after another two times. Now I just wash them once when I think they feel dirty... Which in my job is often, as right now I deal with money, clothes hangers and dusty warehouse environments The hospital will be a nice change!
yennibubs
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Apocrypha)
Well if youre up early like me and in a rush most of the time, I wouldnt have time to remove the minty taste; I drink water through the night so dont normally wake up with that dry sour taste.

How is brushing teeth after eating bad for the teeth ? I'm intrigued.
I'm up at 5am for work or 7 am for uni... Maybe it's a matter of time management, but I do admit I skip breakfast at home and eat on-the-go or at work when I'm in a rush for time... Which is another reason why I brush before eating.

As for why brushing straight after is bad,
" This is because tooth enamel*is softened by the acid and can be worn away by brushing. Instead, wait an hour after a meal before brushing your teeth to*give your saliva chance to neutralise the acid." - NHS website

They also say this

"When should I brush my teeth?

Brush your teeth for at least two minutes*in the morning before breakfast and last thing at night before you go to bed."

Posted from TSR Mobile
User990473
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I brush in the morning after breakfast and in the night before bed, like any normal person.

Interestingly though, I do wash my hands before and after peeing. People are always worried about the germs that get on to their hands but they forget they are also putting germs on their crotch when they get it out.
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's no wonder we have so many allergies because we are so afraid of bacteria we bombard ourselves with constant hand washes, teeth brushing 3,000,000 times a day etc. Soon our immune systems will have nothing left to fight

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
Maybe that reply didn't come across as sarcastically as it was intended!
I assure you it was literal. T
hannah60000
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bloxorus)
I've never understood the logic behind brushing before. You're just cleaning then and then getting them dirty, what's the point in that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If this were the case then why do we not brush our teeth after all meals? (The majority of us).

You brush when you wake up before breakfast, then last thing before bed.

This logic fails. I brush my teeth in the morning to clean my mouth and keep my teeth healthy. Teeth were meant for waiting so I do not see how breakfast will "dirty" them, is cereal and toast that messy...
Schleigg
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hyde)
I assure you it was literal. T
No, as in my reply to the OP about the hypothetical cesspool in their mouth after a day was supposed to be sarcastic but came across as sincere, thus earning me the wrath of every other level headed person here!
Hyde
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Schleigg)
No, as in my reply to the OP about the hypothetical cesspool in their mouth after a day was supposed to be sarcastic but came across as sincere, thus earning me the wrath of every other level headed person here!
Oh.
PerArduaAdAstra
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Afterwards - why would you brush your teeth, only to immediately eat again?
tooosh
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, as I'm going to be working in the healthcare system, I'll be washing them repeatedly anyway, and I won't look strange for it Hooray!

PS: And my hand-washing was a bit much, even by OCD standards? Each time I went to the bathroom, or at any chance I'd get, I'd wash my hands, then re-wash them straight after another two times. Now I just wash them once when I think they feel dirty... Which in my job is often, as right now I deal with money, clothes hangers and dusty warehouse environments The hospital will be a nice change!
Yeah I guess that would be. It's not so much that you wash your hands a lot but you feel they're dirty when they're obviously not.
At least you can indulge at the hospital and procrastinate in getting rid of it :rolleyes:
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (123)
56.94%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise