Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freshypot♥)
    Hi, I just sent off my UCAS form, and scarily, I have just applied to all of those universities!

I only applied for Chem at York, Southampton and Warwick though.

May I ask what offers you got, and when you heard back from all of them.

Thanks
    My UCAS hasn't been sent by my school yet, but when I visited York, they told me that they try to process your application within 3 days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NishalC)
    would you be able to tell me what you thought of york , southhampton and bath, they are like the 3 i wanted to see but havent managed to yet XD. Any opinions/useful info would be cool. thanks
    If it helps I just visited Bath and Bristol today to decide where I'll apply for my final choice. From what I gathered today, this is how I personally felt:
    - Bath's campus is quite nice, not that big and very easy to get around. Overall one of the best campuses tbh, the only thing I didn't like is that the buildings were a bit old and dirty, but not that big of a deal.
    - Bath's chemistry department I'd say is considerably smaller than all of the ones I've seen, it wasn't open so I couldn't go inside, so purely judging from the outside perspective.
    - Bath isn't a Russell Group university, which employers sometimes look for, but also Bath's research quality is poor in comparison to the other universities, only 23%, to Bristol's 41%.
    - Bristol has a bigger chemistry department and I'd say in general the buildings look much nicer - seems like a wealthier university.
    - But Bristol the city, is no way near as charming and picturesque as Bath.

Hence why I personally decided I'll apply to Bristol over Bath because research is one of the more important factors for me, but if you're looking for a good overall university experience then I've heard everyone recommends Bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannan94)

York I heard back from within a week but I had already had my interview at an open day in the summer so I knew I had my offer already. They asked for AAA. Southampton and Warwick were about the same time, 3-4 weeks after I'd sent off my application. Southampton asked for an interview day but I said I couldn't go and they gave me an offer anyway, both asked for AAB.
    Okay cool, thanks! Haven't actually had my form sent off yet, as I'm waiting on my reference, but sooo nervous now! Hopefully I'll hear from Bath and York early, as they're my top 2 choices!

(Original post by lizz-ie)
    My UCAS hasn't been sent by my school yet, but when I visited York, they told me that they try to process your application within 3 days!
    Yeah same here, I've paid for my UCAS form, and uploaded my PS, just waiting on my reference now. Thanks though, hope to hear from York early as their chemistry department and the Uni in general just looks FAB :')

ReputationRep:
    Just paid and sent my application, ahhh! I'm trying for deferred entry to Chemistry (w/ Industry Year) at St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh, York and Cardiff. I hope my referee sends it off soon, I'm so anxious to start hearing back from places...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm applying for chemistry this year but I don't do A Level maths or physics, would I be at a disadvantage?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobby2)
    Hey guys, I'm applying for chemistry this year but I don't do A Level maths or physics, would I be at a disadvantage?
    I only did AS and was fine. You can apply for medicinal chemistry courses which put more emphasis on biology/organic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    I only did AS and was fine. You can apply for medicinal chemistry courses which put more emphasis on biology/organic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for replying that has put me at ease haha I think I will apply for just chemistry because I really like inorganic and physical I was just worried that not having maths will pull me down

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying that has put me at ease haha I think I will apply for just chemistry because I really like inorganic and physical I was just worried that not having maths will pull me down
    There are a few universities which put maths as a necessity, but as long as you avoid them you should be relatively okay, but not doing maths will disadvantage you a bit.

ReputationRep:
    I would still very strongly advise you take some form of maths beyond GCSE.

ReputationRep:
    Going in without maths will not help you. You'll need calculus for physical chemistry, which will be taught from scratch but it's easier if you've already done it, and if you've done no maths for the last two years, you'll probably be a bit rusty. That's not to say that you'll struggle but you could have made it easier for yourself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Finally decided I am applying for chemistry! (it was between chemistry and physics)

I am going to apply to uni of Birmingham, uni of Nottingham, Nottingham Trent and the last two are between uni of Warwick, uni of bath, uni of Sheffield, uni of Cardiff, UEA and uni of Manchester (was definitely going to apply here until I saw they put up their entry requirements so now unsure due to predicted grades :/)

Bath would be a definite but I don't meet their chemistry GCSE requirement so unsure about them too

Applying for MChem with year in industry

At AS I got: chemistry: A, biology: B (so close to an A) and physics: B
    I think my predictions will be ABB (my teachers don't predict up a grade up)

I hope to achieve between A*AA - AAB (gap year if I get A*AA but unlikely)

Start my chemistry related work experience on Tuesday so excited for it!

good luck guys!
    :O I was looking to apply to Bath - what are their GCSE requirements if you don't mind me asking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anna48)
    Hi everyone,

I'm about to start uni in October to study Chemistry, so if anyone's got any questions about the application process/what to read/what grades or subjects you need/applying to Oxbridge then I've just been through it all so I might be able to answer your questions!

If it helps, I applied to Bath, Bristol, Nottingham, Durham and Oxford
    Can you explain the interview process of Bristol, Bath and Nottingham please? Like how hard they are in comparision to each other etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekelzstar)
    Can you explain the interview process of Bristol, Bath and Nottingham please? Like how hard they are in comparision to each other etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't tell you anything about Bristol or Bath, but Nottingham said at the open day that they won't be interviewing chemistry applicants this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My school have finally sent my UCAS application off! Applied for Oxford, Sheffield, Birmingham, York and Nottingham

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can help with Bath. I was invited to an interview day which started mid morning-ish. We were welcomed and then had a sample lecture on organic chemistry. Applicants were then taken on a tour of the library/sports centre/accommodation etc, think the parents did something similar before having lunch. After that we were split into two groups, one went on a tour of the chem department whilst the others has their interview and then we swapped. The actual interview wasn't too bad, it mainly focused on what I had put on my personal statement (so make sure you can talk about anything on there in detail!) with a couple of chemistry related questions, but nothing too tricky.

Hope that helps a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyt8765)
    Can't tell you anything about Bristol or Bath, but Nottingham said at the open day that they won't be interviewing chemistry applicants this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! Did they say why? I went to their openday before Summer, and they mentioned that that interviewed...I guess they've changed their minds haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhiannan94)
    I can help with Bath. I was invited to an interview day which started mid morning-ish. We were welcomed and then had a sample lecture on organic chemistry. Applicants were then taken on a tour of the library/sports centre/accommodation etc, think the parents did something similar before having lunch. After that we were split into two groups, one went on a tour of the chem department whilst the others has their interview and then we swapped. The actual interview wasn't too bad, it mainly focused on what I had put on my personal statement (so make sure you can talk about anything on there in detail!) with a couple of chemistry related questions, but nothing too tricky.

Hope that helps a little.
    Thank you. Did they focus on any particular aspect of chemistry? Eg. Calculations

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! Did they say why? I went to their openday before Summer, and they mentioned that that interviewed...I guess they've changed their minds haha
    I went to the one on the 28th of June, and at the chemistry talk they said that they found that they weren't changing applicants offers much after an interview, so they've decided to not do interviews this year!

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know which Universities give contextual offers for Chemistry?

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know which Universities give contextual offers for Chemistry?
    From memory the only one I can recall specifically giving lower offers is Bristol, but I'm sure other universities take coming from a below average school into account.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 22, 2016

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.