Why are models so thin? Watch

Yael
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Multitalented me)
I've good looking models facially before but their body kind of lets them down :curious:

PS: I'm talking mainly about fashion models btw.
Because that's what a real woman should look like.
Daniellejo.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SuicidalFeminist)
The Models are thin because apparently that's what people find attractive and of course the man ape's love looking at thin models!
I believe high-fashion models aren't really chosen with heterosexual men in mind.
username927016
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Yael)
Because that's what a real woman should look like.
But aren't non-thin women "real" too? Anyway I do believe that in general curvy women look better.
abc:)
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I've good looking models facially before but their body kind of lets them down :curious:

PS: I'm talking mainly about fashion models btw.
One reason I've heard is that designers believe the clothes hang better on skinny models so it's better for showcasing their designs. The emphasis is on the clothing and not on the person wearing it. If a curvy girl is wearing some fitted jeans you're looking at her ass and legs, not at the material and workmanship. It's not dissimilar to seeing clothes hanging on a coat hanger, only this coat hanger walks around so you can get a good look.

I'm not advocating skinny models, far from it, it's a very harmful industry for women's self-image, but if you want an actual reason that kind of makes sense this may be it.
yaboy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
But aren't non-thin woman are "real" too? Anyway I do believe that in general curvy woman look better.
yh but thats what real women should look like, not what all real women will look like.
gernumbli-gardensi
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Another)
There's being skinny, and then there's forcing your models to eat no more than broccoli and egg whites for weeks which is hardly a representation of the average woman's diet.

If the clothes won't look good on a regular body, then way make them in the first place? If I wanted to see what the clothes looked like on a hanger, I'd send them down with a mannequin on a zip wire. It's hardly worth putting a human body through that much torture.
I really don't think that all models are forced to eat crap like that. Yes, there's definitely a percentage of them with a screwed up outlook on body image and all, but that's hardly the majority. Most models are born with naturally thin frames and high metabolism rates, they just eat healthily and exercise regularly to maintain their body shapes. I don't know how you've come up with the idea that models are forced and tortured into looking the way they are - becoming a model is a conscious decision they make, and as with every other profession in this world, they should be respected.

As I've said before, fashion designers make clothes the same way an artist makes a work of art. They're not made to be sold to the masses, they're a whole collection of art in the form of clothing.
kkovots
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think the female models do not represent the average girls..It is also sick that so many girls although they are normal they try through exhausting and dangerous diets to lose too much weight and many end up in anorexia and fatal disease.

To be more realists the fashion designers ahould let the women who promote clothes and accessories to be like an average girl.When you see a girl 1.70 height weighting about 48 kilos it is completely sick!
Pallas Athena
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are some who starve themselves and then there are those who genuinely exercise hard..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads