Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My offer was BCD and I got ABB, still going to same uni, grades don't make a difference to me, I want to go there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice? I love Nottingham campus, nightlife and the uni but idk whether to take a year out and try apply to LSE/Oxford/Cambridge. I dont know if id make it and dont really wanna take a year out of boredom, but would probably regret not trying for the rest of my life!

The amount of career opportunities it would presents is crazy, but i also hear they're lacking in nightlife and uni experience aha

Impossible decision!
    Congratulations, brilliant results! :}

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennaEmBee)
    My offer was BCD and I got ABB, still going to same uni, grades don't make a difference to me, I want to go there.
    Yeah exactly, at heart i want to go notts for the campus and the people and the uni. and i dont really wanna take a gap year

My grades can give me a career benifit if i do a masters at cambridge etc, that was it really. Just felt like i could regret the decision career wise in a few years time

(Original post by melodyogbebor)
    Congratulations, brilliant results! :}

thank you

ReputationRep:
    still stuck on this again haha

any more advice appreciated. What do people recommend doing in a gap year if i took one
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    still stuck on this again haha

any more advice appreciated. What do people recommend doing in a gap year if i took one
    err...you still haven't decided?

Until when do you have to make a decision?

Seems like you're really stuck. If so then why don't you take some professional advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosy91)
    err...you still haven't decided?

Until when do you have to make a decision?

Seems like you're really stuck. If so then why don't you take some professional advice?
    Who would professional advice be?
    2nd september i think

i keep switching from one option to the other every few hours
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Who would professional advice be?
    2nd september i think

i keep switching from one option to the other every few hours
    Well 2nd September seems to be very near doesn't it?

I would have probably gone to a careers counsellor and had a chat.

If you can't do that, then what about your parents, teachers, close friends? Talk to them and see what they say. And as you discuss you might have a clearer idea of the way things stand

Someone once also suggested to me that if you're in a dilemma, take a pen and paper and write down all the pros and cons. This helps to give a clearer picture

ReputationRep:
    Had an AAB offer from Nottingham for Politics

ive got 2A*A so i dunno what to do, thats like oxford/lse level of grades

any advice? I love Nottingham campus, nightlife and the uni but idk whether to take a year out and try apply to LSE/Oxford/Cambridge. I dont know if id make it and dont really wanna take a year out of boredom, but would probably regret not trying for the rest of my life!

The amount of career opportunities it would presents is crazy, but i also hear they're lacking in nightlife and uni experience aha

Impossible decision!
    Hi congratulations on the grades! What subjects did u get them in?

ReputationRep:
    I had the same situation in terms of offer conditions and grades I got at A-Level. Reapplied through adjustment to the university with the same offer requirements, because I chose it for its better location.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anishaf95)
    Hi congratulations on the grades! What subjects did u get them in?
    Politics A*
    Economics A*
    English Lit A

a few 100 UMS's in there too

(Original post by Ben Kenobi)
    I had the same situation in terms of offer conditions and grades I got at A-Level. Reapplied through adjustment to the university with the same offer requirements, because I chose it for its better location.
    Which uni?
    I could have gone to Durham on adjustment but would have probably preferred Nottingha,..although even starting to regret that now!

Geniunly am getting stress headaches from trying to think what to do!

ReputationRep:
    I think if you really wanted to go to Nottingham, and you had an unconditional offer, you would have firmed it by now...

just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think you should go for Nottingham.

My grades are
    Spoiler:
    Show
    4 achieved A*s and 3 predicted A*s for A levels
    I am not a gap year student, as I am international from New Zealand my school year begins in Jan and ends in December, so I am currently year 13 for 2013 Jan to 2013 Dec, and will apply for the 2014 session, which means I am in a similar position as you as I also have a half a year gap. (December 2013 to 2014 October when universities start). I have arranged some work experience related to the course I want to apply (in this case medicine) to do in this period of time and have written that in my personal statement, which you should do the same if you choose to take a gap year.

However, through my research and other friends personal experiences, my chance to get into Cambridge for medicine (my ultimate goal) is no where near 10% chance realistically even with the grades I have, it is indeed extremely competitive, so if you choose to take a gap year, apply to Oxbridge/LSE but also apply to back ups, the worst would be having no where to go.

Just my humble opinion, take it with a pinch of salt. That 10% thing I just randomly made it up, but I don't think my chance personally is any higher than that, but don't let that put you off, it is not based off any evidence except some of my friends past experience.

The most important lines of this post is probably,
    Congratulations on your grades and
    Good luck on your choices!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.