Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinuviel)
    I have very very similar academics to you and am applying to KCL, Newcastle, Leicester and HYMS
    That's good, I'm not sure whether or not to go for Newcastle or HYMS? I heard that HYMS guarantee an interview for UKCAT scores over 700

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Megamanshah)
    That's good, I'm not sure whether or not to go for Newcastle or HYMS? I heard that HYMS guarantee an interview for UKCAT scores over 700
    It is very likely that you would get an interview at both as they are both very UKCAT heavy so it is entirely your decision. Which do you personally prefer?

ReputationRep:
    Newcastle pretty much give the top 40% ukcat scores an interview I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would i be at much disadvatage if i only have 5A*3A2B at gcse, and 760 ukcat average.

I have already achieved AAA at a level though.

also do they look at individual sub sections on ukcat as my VR is only 590

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinuviel)
    It is very likely that you would get an interview at both as they are both very UKCAT heavy so it is entirely your decision. Which do you personally prefer?
    I havent seen either university but my friends that have been to Newcastle have said it's really nice! I don't know about HYMS, I don't think I really would like to go there if I got an offer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flobie)
    Newcastle pretty much give the top 40% ukcat scores an interview I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What would be the cut off? Most people have been getting high UCKAT scores which I what I'm worried about, I thought my score was really good but there are so many people with higher scores than me

ReputationRep:
    I have 5.5A*, 3A at gcse, 4A at AS Level and 3A* prediction for A2 level and 700 in UKCAT. Would I be better off applying to King's College or Leicester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s.v)
    Hi. I achieved 6A*s in Add Science, Core Science, Maths, French, History, R.E an A in Business and 3 Bs in English language, English literature and P.E.
    For my AS levels i achieved AABBB (Maths,French,Chemistry,Biology and R.S respectively) The chemistry B is very likely to move to an A as there were errors in the original marking of the paper.. but anyway i have A*AA predictions for A2
    I scored 690 in my UKCAT. BAND 3 SJT
    I have done work experience at my local g.p, a hospital and shadowed orthopaedic surgery abroad. I have also volunteered at a care home during the summer. Is Kings College out of reach?
    Last year, the candidates who got accepted had 690+ in UKCAT. You're in low end of spectrum, I'd suggest not apply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pingutoon)
    My GCSEs are 4A*+4A+2Bs, UKCAT 777.5(VR710, QR840, AR720 and DA840 and SJT B2), Predicted IB score of 38+1 with reasonably good PS (done Voluntary work at Hospice+ BHF for >1 year+ 4 weeks of Hospital and GP placements and good ECAs). I would like to know what is the realistic chance of being called for interview at KCL. Many Thanks.
    You're in a very good position to be accepted by KCL because they focus on UKCAT, and yours is brilliant. However, your GCSE looks a bit poor compared to KCL standard. I'd suggest give it a go.

ReputationRep:
    Hey got quite a low UKCAT score but wondering if I still have a chance if I apply? I got 7A*'s 3A's 1B at GCSE and 3A's in chemistry biology and maths but B in English lit AS. Is there point me still applying? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    What would be the cut off? Most people have been getting high UCKAT scores which I what I'm worried about, I thought my score was really good but there are so many people with higher scores than me
    I really do not think that the cut-off will be any higher than 720ish

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I'm applying to King's. GCSEs 7A/A*, IB 35 points (666 HL incl. Chem & Bio), predicted 2:1 for Biomed (at King's) and UKCAT average 717.5. Would love some opinions on my chances and also details about the interview, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I want to apply to kcl for med. My gcses are 6A*2A, A'levels A*AADbbb (D in gen studies ) achieved. UKCAT 760.
    Do I have any chances of getting an interview? Any opinions would be highly appreciated

ReputationRep:
    About 3 weeks ago, I had promised to keep this thread updated with any news regarding a freedom of information request sent to King's College regarding Medicine A100 statistics. They replied today, but unfortunately had not been able to fulfill the request. They took their entire allocated time (around a month), to say that it would cost them too much to retrieve that information.

This reflects quite poorly on the college, but here is the request and their response anyway:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-436587

Its a shame, as other universities have been able to provide extensive statistics in a shorter time span, and this information would have been very useful. Oh well

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys!
    I see many people got high scores at UKCAT - Congrats to everyone! I took mine yesterday with the following results:
    VR: 650
    QR: 760
    AR: 740
    DA: 900
    SJT: Band 2
    Overall: 3050
    Average: 762.5

My A-level equivalents:
    Biology: 92%
    Chemistry: 89%
    Mathematics: 95%
    Foreign language- English: 91%
    History: 88%
    Literature and Hungarian Grammar: 92%

We do not generally have GCSE, but my school had some end of year examinations that I passed all with grade 5 (A) - I had about 6 of these exams.

I am going to be a qualified Nurse by December.
    And also doing another diploma course which leads to the qualification of Medical Laboratory Technician Assistant (will finish in May/June 2014) I have finals of its part-course of Healthcare Laboratory Worker soon. I am an Emergency First Response instructor too.

I mainly worked in healthcare mostly as a live in carer in the UK (22/7) and then night and hourly carer too for about 7 months for clients suffering of dementia, learning disabilities, spinal injuries, mental health problems. I also worked during my nursing internship (~2300 hours) in Hungarian hospitals where I mainly worked as a nurse student but was lucky and curious enough to gain insight to other parts of healthcare like ultrasound examinations, surgeries, pathology. And I also have some work experience in laboratories but the nursing experience outnumbers it yet of course. Overall I need to have at least 1500 hours of laboratory work by next year May/June.

Sooo what is my problem then?
    I am partly in the UK and partly in Hungary.
    I have a London address and a Hungarian address as well.
    I do my courses in Hungary, but worked in London. And as I finished my nursing internship I hopefully will travel between London and Budapest on a weekly basis: working in London and studying in Hungary. (Flights are extremly cheap by WizzAir and it worths me way better working in London then in Hungary)

What do you think will I be considered as a home or EU student?
    What is it based on: address or nationality?
    I guess nationality...

It would be really important for me to know as the UK Government restricts places to approximately 10% for EU and international students according to King's website and I am not really fond upon this info...

Is it a good idea to apply to King's as only 10% of places available for international/EU students?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I really want to apply here, kings is my dream uni! But I don't think I'll get interviewed!

IGCSEs 4A*s 2As 3Bs (I'm not an international applicant)
    A Level Achieved AAAC
    UKCAT 723 Band 1

Is it worth the risk? Or should I just not bother..

[SIZE=1]Posted from TSR Mobile[/SIZE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KanKan)
    About 3 weeks ago, I had promised to keep this thread updated with any news regarding a freedom of information request sent to King's College regarding Medicine A100 statistics. They replied today, but unfortunately had not been able to fulfill the request. They took their entire allocated time (around a month), to say that it would cost them too much to retrieve that information.

This reflects quite poorly on the college, but here is the request and their response anyway:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...ncoming-436587

Its a shame, as other universities have been able to provide extensive statistics in a shorter time span, and this information would have been very useful. Oh well
    It's already been done... ok it's a year old, but unlikely to have changed much, if at all.
    http://blog.unireq.co.uk/medicine/ad...ollege-london/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skotch)
    It's already been done... ok it's a year old, but unlikely to have changed much, if at all.
    http://blog.unireq.co.uk/medicine/ad...ollege-london/
    do you know whether EU students are considered as home or international students?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kcapsoccer)
    do you know whether EU students are considered as home or international students?
    I've got no idea. Check the website and see what it says.

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am deciding my choices and considering kings I have 10 a*s at gcse and 675 in the ukcat. Any hope??

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.