Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsLeopard)
    offer for physnatsci
    Well done!!

(Original post by Musicy)
    Is it worth of reapplying if u achieved 4a*s or higher at ur a2, given that ur first three choices were all failed ( cam, lse, ucl). My main problem was that we don't do any official exams like As in the year before u send in ur application, we just do the normal school summer tests. My result was 7A1s which was equivalently to almost 5a*s at As, but they weren't recognised as it is not a state exam therefore they didn't go in on ucas. So if I get good results this summer, should I reapply to Cambridge? . Dunno what to decide
    Yes it's definitely worth reapplying, although I can only speak with experience of maths applications. I didn't actually apply to Cambridge last year, but decided to do it on my gap year and got an offer. I'd have been just as happy with offers from LSE or Imperial though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Well done!!
    thanks, you too! kinda just want to go now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhysicsLeopard)
    thanks, you too! kinda just want to go now
    Some of us have a brutal offer to meet first! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Some of us have a brutal offer to meet first! :lol:
    you can do it! just focus the next 5 months on solely STEP....fun fun fun it's a lot better than what you were expecting, at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Well done!!

Yes it's definitely worth reapplying, although I can only speak with experience of maths applications. I didn't actually apply to Cambridge last year, but decided to do it on my gap year and got an offer. I'd have been just as happy with offers from LSE or Imperial though.
    Congratulations! Did u apply to LSE and IC last year? I like Cambridge very much and would consider it as a regret in life if it ended just like that! I had some problems this summer so I didn't have time to prepare for my application, thinking my personal statement was not structured well. Btw, do Cambridge colleges not encourage reapplication?

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! Did u apply to LSE and IC last year? I like Cambridge very much and would consider it as a regret in life if it ended just like that! I had some problems this summer so I didn't have time to prepare for my application, thinking my personal statement was not structured well. Btw, do Cambridge colleges not encourage reapplication?
    I did - and got offers from IC and rejected by LSE.

For maths, it's discouraged by all except for a few colleges. I picked a college that didn't discourage it. I don't think it's discouraged for any other subjects though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    I did - and got offers from IC and rejected by LSE.

For maths, it's discouraged by all except for a few colleges. I picked a college that didn't discourage it. I don't think it's discouraged for any other subjects though.
    How do u find out the list of colleges not encouraging reapplication? By emailing them or its on their website :P

ReputationRep:
    How do u find out the list of colleges not encouraging reapplication? By emailing them or its on their website :P
    I came across a PDF online which was specific to maths. Don't think there's one for other subjects as I don't think it's generally minded at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    I came across a PDF online which was specific to maths. Don't think there's one for other subjects as I don't think it's generally minded at all.
    Thanks, I think there's a great probability that I go for reapplication. Enjoy ur time at Cambridge, well done

ReputationRep:
    Hi, what would you generally need for a post applicant for Economics at Cam?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Unconditional offers from Cambridge+Imperial for phys/natsci here! I was rejected from Manchester for not going to interview (saved some money though)...

Well done everyone! A great proportion of the post-A level people seem to have been successful this year, which is quite interesting.

I won't, but will anyone chose Imperial (or another university) over Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blairxoxo)
    Hi, what would you generally need for a post applicant for Economics at Cam?

Thanks.
    You don't apply by post - everything is done online through UCAS.

Haha sorry that was awful. Probably 3A* to be strong. Econ is ridiculously competitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tons of Sobs)
    You don't apply by post - everything is done online through UCAS.

Haha sorry that was awful. Probably 3A* to be strong. Econ is ridiculously competitive
    Haha lol, you made me refer back to my OP lol.

Yeah I imagined it would be that. In your opinion is UMS a massive factor or is it usually 3a*+ and you got a good chance.

Thanks

ReputationRep:

Yeah I imagined it would be that. In your opinion is UMS a massive factor or is it usually 3a*+ and you got a good chance.

Thanks
    UMS is always important. I'm assuming my UMS got me an offer for maths this year considering my interviews didn't go terribly well. I think they're even more important for economics than maths, too.

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    Yes, CD is right.

They will still look at your AS results, and rank you based off all module scores achieved over the 2 years. Although saying that it's always impressive if you do better at A2 than AS. I think they always take more notice of most recent results, as well as always looking for an upwards trajectory (likewise if you do considerably worse in your second year of sixth form, even if you overall UMS i still passable, I think it shows the opposite trajectory, which might not bode well for further study).

But 3A* will still put you in the top cut of applicants based on UMS

ReputationRep:
    I got 6 A*s and an A at A-level. Just been pooled by John's for econ, still no word; probable rejection.

Got 100% in Econ, 96% in Maths, 92% in F Maths, 92% in German (those would be the UMS percentages considered)
    Working at a think tank currently.

I wonder if a second gap year and re-application is a done thing, lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius)
    I got 6 A*s and an A at A-level. Just been pooled by John's for econ, still no word; probable rejection.

Got 100% in Econ, 96% in Maths, 92% in F Maths, 92% in German (those would be the UMS percentages considered)
    Working at a think tank currently.

I wonder if a second gap year and re-application is a done thing, lol
    Those graaades tho! Daaaayum!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PatrickB)
    Those graaades tho! Daaaayum!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iP
    Just to add to that, I was in the top 2% for the Oxford TSA, and got 10A*s at GCSE.

Life is really rubbish, yuno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caecilius)
    Just to add to that, I was in the top 2% for the Oxford TSA, and got 10A*s at GCSE.

Life is really rubbish, yuno
    Did you have a **** interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD315)
    Did you have a **** interview?
    Well, bit of a moot question, seeing as I'm bound to say yes, given the result, but yeah. I mean, had I received an offer, I wouldn't have said it was ****, but whatevs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.