The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hellooworld
What year are you in? The course gets harder each year, but it also depends how much work you put in. Some modules are also more difficult to understand than others, such as quantum or electromagnetism.

I'm only in my first year. I don't know what to do. I like my flat mates and I'm in a few sporting teams. I don't know whether just to stick it out fora year or drop out now
Hi, I'm hating uni life. I've been here two days. I thought I'd love it as I'm a massive party animal. However I was never keen on school or studying but everyone said it's much more fun at uni. However the work load and stress won't help I've not even met my teachers yet!
is it stilly to drop out now?
hi guys need some advice as well me my self i dropped out of uni back in 2003 after i done 3 years and i had only the exam and few modules to complete and few course work but i dropped out of uni, as i had personal things and i was stressed and depressed and i could not continue or concentrate at all... now after more than 14 years i am settled now..wife and kids and everything is sorted it took me quite few years to get my life in order...i now want to go back to uni to earn my degree but i want to do a different course from what i was doing before...i was doing computer science but now i no longer want to do that i want to go and study business management and marketing as i am more in to business now and want to start up my own business as well..when i started uni i did take the student loans but since then i was not able to pay as i never got a steady job or any job which paid more than what the requirement asked...now here comes thee questions...if i want to go to uni...and do the course i want..what will the university require from me to do..as i am ready to even start foundation course or access course..will the student finance accept to pay for the tuition fee only as that its what i require and in need of assistance even thought i am not or have not been able to pay the previous loan..but as i know this time i am ready to commit and to finish off and earn a degree..please only give appropriate answer if you know the proper and right information as i want to know the right info and i have been informed this its the best place i cant get answers to questions i require..thank you
Reply 143
Dropped out about a week. So far no regrets and i'm still on the hunt for a job. Hopefully i'll be reapplying this year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Forum User
0/2 so far. Anybody else fancy a go?

I'm in final year and I think anyone who drops out is making a big mistake
Reply 145
Original post by wiseCrack
I'm in final year and I think anyone who drops out is making a big mistake

uni isn't for everyone some people may be more suited to a job, but not realise until they actually go to uni.
Reply 146
Did you find it hard being at home whilst all your friends were at uni?
Reply 147
Original post by Se1997

I've been at home while my friends were at uni.

I guess it depends. I was working three jobs (a paper round still even at 18/19/20
Reply 148
Original post by Se1997

I was at home for 2 years while my mates were away before his year.

It probably depends on who you are. I have always seen my mates regularly so I did miss seeing them and going months without hearing from them in some cases, but at the same time I was working three jobs (a 30min paper round 6 days a week, two 5hr shifts in a DIY store and causal work probably once every 6 weeks in a stadium) alongside part time A level study. Plus my hobbies kept me going (two involve a lot of travelling so time flew by really as I had a lot on). Exercise was also another time to pass the time.

If you have no job, no course to follow studying wise and no hobbies away from the home I guess it could be different sitting at home all day.
Hi Guys, I have until Thursday to decide whether to drop out or not. I am currently living in accommodation approx 2 1/2 miles from campus, although am looking to potentially to move to a "quiet" room on campus, what sort of people do you normally get in quiet rooms, is it antisociable people, or people who like being social but just don't like going out clubbing etc.. as much? My course seems ok, but there was one at another university which I would have preferred to do. I haven't really made any friends yet, which is something I am concerned about, although I am fairly happy in my own company, and soon work will begin to take over more. Just very confused about what to do...
Original post by SO1997
uni isn't for everyone some people may be more suited to a job, but not realise until they actually go to uni.

Yea but if you drop out then Student Finance is gonna be more naggy for their money back so if you just finish what you started then atleast you can wait wil you have a good job to pay back that tuition
Does anyone know what the situation is if you've dropped out, if you can still get funding for another go at 1st year?

Is there any benefits/downsides to dropping out?

I have been struggling after taking 2 years due to health problems which haven't eased up, and I'm not into my course so would like some advice from others ^^

And is funding different for mature students? (I'll be 22 if I'm starting a new course?)
hey, did you find that universities you re-applied to had a problem with you dropping out? did you have to explain it in your personal statement/reference?
thanks
Reply 153
Is it absolutely ridiculous to drop out only a week and two days into my course? Everyone keeps telling me to stick it out for a few more weeks see if I 'settle' and hearing those words come from everyone all the time is driving me insane. I hate being in a new city with no one I know, I CANT talk to anyone, I sit in my room 24/7 just crying and it's making me sick. I didn't get the best A-Level grades: I got a distinction a D and an E so I should be grateful for the opportunity I've been given but I'm now doubting why I even accepted and didn't try to retake my A-Levels or try something a little less academic. In perspective I felt pressurised to apply to university by my sixth form tutor and I'm not sure if this is what I want to do anymore... I'm thinking about dropping out this early so I don't have to pay back 25% of the tuition fee, take a year out to work, go to college and study something I want and then maybe returning to university when I feel ready with decent qualifications..?
Original post by Et347
Is it absolutely ridiculous to drop out only a week and two days into my course? Everyone keeps telling me to stick it out for a few more weeks see if I 'settle' and hearing those words come from everyone all the time is driving me insane. I hate being in a new city with no one I know, I CANT talk to anyone, I sit in my room 24/7 just crying and it's making me sick. I didn't get the best A-Level grades: I got a distinction a D and an E so I should be grateful for the opportunity I've been given but I'm now doubting why I even accepted and didn't try to retake my A-Levels or try something a little less academic. In perspective I felt pressurised to apply to university by my sixth form tutor and I'm not sure if this is what I want to do anymore... I'm thinking about dropping out this early so I don't have to pay back 25% of the tuition fee, take a year out to work, go to college and study something I want and then maybe returning to university when I feel ready with decent qualifications..?

Im really greatful that I'm not the only one going through this, I've only been at uni for nearly a week now, and I'm not enjoying it one bit. The majority of people are also saying to me that I should 'settle' for a couple of weeks to see if I like it. And I'm not being funny, but I know I'm not going to enjoy it any more, I just want to leave, I feel like a rushed into making a desicion about going uni now and I feel like I didn't do my research properly. I just really don't want to be Stuck here for three years, heck even a year if I'm just going to be severely depressed and not do my work properly.
I think maybe uni wasn't the best desicion for me :frown:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yeah, I don't know if uni is the place for me. Luckily I've just convinced my parents that I'm not happy here and I'm coming back home next Thursday to discuss what I'm going to do instead. If I do go back to uni, it would be a local one and I would commute seeing as I'm also not keen on uni life, but do like making friends just not going out partying (and a few close friends go to this specific uni). Or I either get a job and eventually get an apprenticeship. I'm just happy regardless that i will be getting out of here soon. :smile:
I think that might be the best desicion for me too. I was a bit skeptical commuting to uni ( whether that be living at home or living with my boyfriend) seeing as I've heard a few people say they didn't like that. However on the other hand I know some people who still enjoy uni even though they commute and I don't think I'm missing out seeing as I'm T total and don't go on nights out.
I'm hoping I get out of here ASAP but my dad is trying to convince me to wait till Christmas and that 8 weeks won't be long, but honestly it's been a week here and it's felt too long already ( defiantly not a good sign).
I dropped out of university this summer, at the end of my third year (of a 4 year chemistry course). Part of me thinks I was crazy, as I had a great group of friends, got on well with the rest of my coursemates and left before I obtained a BSc, due to finding out I'd get no student funding (tuition fees) for another degree. However, since second year, I realised I had no motivation to study or do lab reports and only really enjoyed one out of 4 classes (and hated the main chemistry areas) and didn't really enjoy most lab work. Being in labs 4 out of 5 afternoons until 5pm then having a one hour commute home before spending all evening doing a lab report was a killer. I've just found a second part time job and am currently in the process of reapplying to university for social work :smile:
Reply 158
Does anyone have any experience in deferring a year, specifically third year? I'm feeling like I can't handle this yet, but my parents are afraid that if I retreat I won't want to come back and will have wasted my time and money.
Hi there, I was wondering, if you drop out around this time, do you have to make any immediate payments?

Latest