St John's College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

Ditting Suck
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by toto8462)
Are you trying to patronise me? How am i supposed to know thats what you meant!? I guess i wasnt expecting to be addressed in an 'affectionate' manner (your words not mine) by another male :eek: You can cut that out right away :rolleyes:
No, I wasn't trying to patronise you, I just found the misunderstanding amusing. Look, I'm sorry if I upset you.

When I posted in the other thread, I was adressing you as 'chicken'. I could just as easily have said 'mate', 'darling', or 'buddy'. I tend to use such affectionate terms with little or no weighting; I'm sorry if they seemed weirdly intimate to you. It's just my manner of speaking.

FWIW, I find the idea of someone calling themselves a vegetarian eating chicken as ridiculous as you do!

Annnnnway.....back to Johns....can anyone tell me how we are allowed to hang things on walls? Can I put a pin in to hang framed photos? Can I blu-tack or thumb-tack posters? Thanks
toto8462
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Ditting Suck)
No, I wasn't trying to patronise you, I just found the misunderstanding amusing. Look, I'm sorry if I upset you.

When I posted in the other thread, I was adressing you as 'chicken'. I could just as easily have said 'mate', 'darling', or 'buddy'. I tend to use such affectionate terms with little or no weighting; I'm sorry if they seemed weirdly intimate to you. It's just my manner of speaking.

FWIW, I find the idea of someone calling themselves a vegetarian eating chicken as ridiculous as you do!

Annnnnway.....back to Johns....can anyone tell me how we are allowed to hang things on walls? Can I put a pin in to hang framed photos? Can I blu-tack or thumb-tack posters? Thanks
Just FYI, i wasnt trying to be aggressive. If i was speaking to you, my last post would sound more sarcastic. You dont need to appologise. Anyway, we Johnians must stick together with the rest of Cambridge waging war on the us.

On the 'Chicken (as in meat) issue' it just reminded me of a girl in my 6th form who was apparently a 'veggie', yet got into my car with some Mc. chicken monstrosity from Mc Donalds. Upon questioning this, she said "You dont really believe there is meat in their food do you?" Touche. Since then, i have always been wary of what 'kind' of veggie people are!

On your most recent question, you defo cant add pins where they arent already in place. I think the only way is with blu-tack (although that can remove paint and so may well be banned as well!)
Ditting Suck
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But wasn't there something in the Freshers' Pack advising you to bring lots of poster to decorate your room??????????????
toto8462
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But wasn't there something in the Freshers' Pack advising you to bring lots of poster to decorate your room??????????????

Yea, they said in the handbook the walls are pretty bare. Again i was attempting some sarcasm, but doesnt work so well without the 'tone of voice'. I should think blu-tack is fine.

btw, what subject are you? I'm eco...
Steve M06
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi everybody, I'm Steve and I'm studying maths. I'm coming on the 26th for this induction party thing too. My dad's booked the day off work to take me down.

My room is D16 (no-one else on D staircase yet? ) - mine's a bedsit (£870). I got the impression that the fixed £942 accom. charge was an average room cost and they'll repay you the difference later. But how can that be when rooms are £870-£930? :confused:

For hall, the normal code is just a gown isn't it (no suit required except for Matric. dinner?) so I guessed the first hall is basically wear what you like, although I'm not very clued up on stuff like this so am probably wrong. :confused:

And jeez, what kind of a kitchen doesn't even have a table? I know they're meant to be basic but surely a table would be reasonable? Oh well...

See you all in a fortnight (it seems so soon! :eek:)

PS. I know of a veggie who eats chicken duck and fish. :confused: (I don't know them, it's a guy on the radio)
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Hmmm, still haven't sent back my forms, which need to be back by this Friday at the latest...man I know how to time things :p:

And aye Steve, see you then....wonder if I will see another familiar mathmo face! Must meet up in zee bar yes?
Steve M06
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by KAISER_MOLE)
Must meet up in zee bar yes?
Indeed.

Leaving it a bit late with the forms aren't you, you realise how much there is to fill in? I thought I was bad at stuff like that but I sent mine off ages ago! :p:
JerseyKopite
Report 12 years ago
Thought I'd clear up some of the questions...

About bringing stuff for the kitchen... I would wait... I certainly wouldn't bring any stuff. Its as cheap in Cambridge as it is anywhere else, so you might as well see if anyone has brought stuff. I certainly didnt contribute to my kitchen a great deal (other than with food) but most people will let you use their stuff.

Surprised they didn't already ask you if you were a veggie by now... I'd definitely get in contact with the College, it could be well worth your while.

I used both blue-tack and even sellotape in my room and it doesnt really do the wall any harm (particularly the blue-tack). You'll be fine unless you have a hideously over zealous bedder, which is a rarity.

Most of my friends lived in the top floor of D staircase, and I've seen most of the rooms, theyre all pretty good in D as long as your not on the bottom floor (which you're not Steve).

The reason the kitchens dont have a table is that theyre about the same size as a shower. On one side is a wall, the middle is just big enough for two people to squeeze past each other and theres a ledge above a small fridge on the other side with cupboards above it. No where near enough space for a table! But theyre practical kitchens.

And finally...

Im pretty sure for first hall we wore what we liked... with or without gowns... pics are normally on the JCR website but it doesnt seem to be working at the moment. When it is take a look! Or Laura may know...

Alex
x
toto8462
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JerseyKopite)
Thought I'd clear up some of the questions...

About bringing stuff for the kitchen... I would wait... I certainly wouldn't bring any stuff. Its as cheap in Cambridge as it is anywhere else, so you might as well see if anyone has brought stuff. I certainly didnt contribute to my kitchen a great deal (other than with food) but most people will let you use their stuff.

Surprised they didn't already ask you if you were a veggie by now... I'd definitely get in contact with the College, it could be well worth your while.

I used both blue-tack and even sellotape in my room and it doesnt really do the wall any harm (particularly the blue-tack). You'll be fine unless you have a hideously over zealous bedder, which is a rarity.

Most of my friends lived in the top floor of D staircase, and I've seen most of the rooms, theyre all pretty good in D as long as your not on the bottom floor (which you're not Steve).

The reason the kitchens dont have a table is that theyre about the same size as a shower. On one side is a wall, the middle is just big enough for two people to squeeze past each other and theres a ledge above a small fridge on the other side with cupboards above it. No where near enough space for a table! But theyre practical kitchens.

And finally...

Im pretty sure for first hall we wore what we liked... with or without gowns... pics are normally on the JCR website but it doesnt seem to be working at the moment. When it is take a look! Or Laura may know...

Alex
x

Whats wrong with the bottom floor? Im in A block i what i presume is the bottom floor.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
From what I remember, there are a decent amount of noticeboards on walls.
Steve M06
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JerseyKopite)
Cheers for that Alex, it's 8 per floor I guess so I'm first floor? How many floors in total, I remember someone had a number 26 so are there four floors (inc. ground)?

I've bought plenty of stuff - plates, mugs, toaster, kettle etc. already. But I won't be bringing a microwave.
JerseyKopite
Report 12 years ago
Lol don't worry Toto, bottom floor in most stair cases is perfect, saves a long long pain of a walk (good excercise) The problem in D is that some of the rooms face a brick wall that is the side of the Fisher building.

Cripps is a bit weird. Some staircases have a proper ground floor, with rooms at ground level. Others have their lowest floors at the first storey, like A. The number of rooms per floor varies hugely. In F for example they have supervisors and fellows on one side of the stair case, and I think H may be like that too...

So both of your rooms are fine... D is a pretty central staircase, whilst having a low room in A is perfect, close to the laundry and to the erst of the college.
KMantle
Report 12 years ago
Greetings all, a bit late to this thread I fear, have been out of England for 11 weeks, rounding off a gap year. Anyhoo, am going to John's for a bit of Biological NatSci, with some Chemistry and Maths (I have no idea what I will end up doing) chucked in for good measure. Have room G which I gather is terribly far away, and yet I mange to pay £1082 for the privilage (inc. Kitchen), wonderful stuff. Anyhow, just thought I would say hello.

P.S. Alas have given away school uniform a year ago, nevermind.
Lau200
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hi everyone!
(hi alex! - thanks for showing me round Jersey last weekend!! and saving me from that wierdo...)
The blocks have two rooms on the ground floor. Then rooms 3-10 on the 1st floor, 11-18 and 19-26 on second and third you see!
Bottom floor is just a bit of a pain because you have to be really concious of security all the time etc.
I don't think the JCR website is working right now but I can try and contact the IT guy...i am still confused why people are coming up on 26th? Is that everyone? I am coming back 'early' on the 29th and thought i'd be the only one around?! is it a special maths/science thing to come early?

ahh im so excited abotu coming back! im working for 2 more weeks - atually at work now so better make this pretty quick!
Catch ya all later
xxx
never_get_up
Report 12 years ago
Whats wrong with the bottom floor? Im in A block i what i presume is the bottom floor.
Really? And you also study econ?? Just like me! I start to wonder whether they allocate room, staircase according to subject

Btw, I heard that there're some kind of jumble sale going on in other college (like Newnham) where , according to my friends, eveything is sold at a dirt cheap price! Does our college have that as well?
Intelligentsia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Wait so, what's the difference between first hall, formal hall and matric. dinner, and all their grand dress codes?
toto8462
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by never_get_up)
Really? And you also study econ?? Just like me! I start to wonder whether they allocate room, staircase according to subject

Btw, I heard that there're some kind of jumble sale going on in other college (like Newnham) where , according to my friends, eveything is sold at a dirt cheap price! Does our college have that as well?
Well, there are only roughly 10 of us, so it wouldnt surprise me! No offense but it would be pretty annoying to have a staircase of economists! So what room number are you? If you are 1-4, you will be on one side and 5-8 should be on the other block of 4.

What is in this jumble sale?
innit
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Hello! I'm coming up on the 24th, even earlier than the mathmos etc, for 'Geek Week'...oh yes :cool: It's an introductory week of New Testament Greek for theologians (and I think the theos who chose Hebrew have it as well.)

I'm in B17 btw...and I'm veggie

Steve-I understood that the whole of the pre-payment fee is repaid at the end of your degree, not the difference, so it's like a massive deposit and you pay for your accommodation and KFC termly on top of it..I'd like to be wrong though!

Intelligensia-I think:
First Hall=your first hall :p: on the first sunday, where you just look smart.
Matric dinner=hall on the day of matriculation, which requires white shirt, black skirt etc and gowns.
Hall=everyday dinner, with gowns.
Formal=when a society or group goes to hall together...hmm, i made that one up, someone better qualified should answer this qu!
never_get_up
Report 12 years ago
Well, there are only roughly 10 of us, so it wouldnt surprise me! No offense but it would be pretty annoying to have a staircase of economists! So what room number are you? If you are 1-4, you will be on one side and 5-8 should be on the other block of 4.

What is in this jumble sale?
No idea, my friends said most of the sellers are 3rd year students wanna get rid of their stuff before leaving the univ plus getting some of their money back. THat's all
KAISER_MOLE
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
Have edited front page with names and courses and stuff. Might do room numbers too, and names for those I couldn't find out immediately (i.e. either given or in their profile) . Quite a few people actually, John's rocks :p:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18

Do you like exams?