Turn on thread page Beta

Israel violates ceasefire! watch

Announcements

Regarding the term "apartheid".

When my parents were being interviewed prior to emigration to South Africa during the early 70's, they enquired of the South African representative what apartheid meant and how it affected the residents of South Africa.

They were told that simply, apartheid meant 'separate development' or 'separateness' (which you will find in the dictionary, AS!) Disingenuous with hindsight, since it also included discrimination!

The so-called 'Peace line' in Belfast (don't you just love the semantics?:rolleyes: ) the Berlin Wall, the 'Apartheid' wall in Israel...all of these designed to keep people in or out...depending on your perception...and maintaining control over the populace. preventing innocent people from going about their daily lives in an efficient manner.

...although I can appreciate their usefulness in the short-term, until conflict is resolved.

ReputationRep:
    Is the Peace Line still up? When I go to Belfast I don't usually stray far from the Malone Road.

(Original post by yawn)
    [...] 'separateness' (which you will find in the dictionary, AS!)
    :lies::lies::lies:

:p:

(Original post by Agent Smith)
    Is the Peace Line still up? When I go to Belfast I don't usually stray far from the Malone Road.
    Apparently so. Taxi drivers even do 'peace line' tours for the tourists!

http://www.wbta.net/taxi_tours_of_west_belfast.htm If you use the 'scroll' facility on the taxi and go to number 5 of the tour you'll see it divides Springfield Rd.

:lies::lies::lies:

:p:
    Not so, my friend.

"Separateness" noun [Latin separo (v.) ]

Source: The Pocket Oxford Dictionary of Current English (required for study at my former Independent secondary college - intellectual snobbishness maybe, but a far superior reference tool to the Collins Dictionary! )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Apparently so. Taxi drivers even do 'peace line' tours for the tourists!

http://www.wbta.net/taxi_tours_of_west_belfast.htm If you use the 'scroll' facility on the taxi and go to number 5 of the tour you'll see it divides Springfield Rd.
    Christ on a pike, that's sick. People not wanting merely to celebrate division and divisive attitudes, coupled with a short-sighted government and the desire of people to have something to hide behind, but actually seeking to spin money out of it.

Not so, my friend.

"Separateness" noun [Latin separo (v.) ]

Source: The Pocket Oxford Dictionary of Current English (required for study at my former Independent secondary college - intellectual snobbishness maybe, but a far superior reference tool to the Collins Dictionary! )
    :lies::lies::lies: One might as well assert that "bigness" is a word. And in any case, even if separateness IS a word, which it isn't, it's still an obscure one and thus my point about preferring other terms stands. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Regarding the term "apartheid".

When my parents were being interviewed prior to emigration to South Africa during the early 70's, they enquired of the South African representative what apartheid meant and how it affected the residents of South Africa.

They were told that simply, apartheid meant 'separate development' or 'separateness' (which you will find in the dictionary, AS!) Disingenuous with hindsight, since it also included discrimination!

The so-called 'Peace line' in Belfast (don't you just love the semantics?:rolleyes: ) the Berlin Wall, the 'Apartheid' wall in Israel...all of these designed to keep people in or out...depending on your perception...and maintaining control over the populace. preventing innocent people from going about their daily lives in an efficient manner.

...although I can appreciate their usefulness in the short-term, until conflict is resolved.
    Well when you consider it that way, the border between America and Mexico is an apartheid one. In fact, the idea of a nation state is by definition apartheid, as it treats it's own citizens differently to citizens from other countries by keeping them apart... damn all that "seperateness" eh?

Christ on a pike, that's sick. People not wanting merely to celebrate division and divisive attitudes, coupled with a short-sighted government and the desire of people to have something to hide behind, but actually seeking to spin money out of it.
    That may seem to be the case if one doesn't consider any other motive other than making money. However, the one doing the tour is actually providing an example of just how uncivilised the dividing wall is. I am sure that the tourists on seeing it would certainly not be celebrating divisive attitudes but rather, dwelling on the futility of division.

:lies::lies::lies: One might as well assert that "bigness" is a word. And in any case, even if separateness IS a word, which it isn't, it's still an obscure one and thus my point about preferring other terms stands. :p:
    Wrong, wrong, wrong! "Bigness" is...'the state or quality of being big...largeness' Ask any lexicographer. And 'separateness IS a word! http://www.wordreference.com/definition/separateness

Eat your words, AS.

(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Well when you consider it that way, the border between America and Mexico is an apartheid one. In fact, the idea of a nation state is by definition apartheid, as it treats it's own citizens differently to citizens from other countries by keeping them apart... damn all that "seperateness" eh?
    Why not take it to its extreme conclusions then.

The thoroughfare between two sidewalks in an apartheid border. It separates one side of the road from the other! :p:

South Africa has one nation - South Africans. Your definition of apartheid does not fit in with the one that existed in those dark, dark days of 'apartheid' when shop entrances, park benches etc said 'whites only'.

Her citizens were treated differently, depending on what colour skin they had.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10inchpianist)
    Now why would they go and do a thing like that ?
    Sh*ts and giggles?

Oh yeah ... and because they want to wipe Israel from the map.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Sh*ts and giggles?

Oh yeah ... and because they want to wipe Israel from the map.
    Palestinians do not want to wipe Israel off the map. You seem to confuse terrorist groups such as Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda with the civilians of Palestine; unless you consider the words Palestinians and terrorists synonymous ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10inchpianist)
    Palestinians do not want to wipe Israel off the map. You seem to confuse terrorist groups such as Hezbollah and Al-Qaeda with the civilians of Palestine; unless you consider the words Palestinians and terrorists synonymous ?
    D'you know what's unfortunate? moderate palestinian voices are NEVER heard in western media, its only Hamas and the like. I genuinely (sadly) do not know what the moderate palestinians opinion is?!

Care to enlighten me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Why not take it to its extreme conclusions then.

The thoroughfare between two sidewalks in an apartheid border. It separates one side of the road from the other! :p:

South Africa has one nation - South Africans. Your definition of apartheid does not fit in with the one that existed in those dark, dark days of 'apartheid' when shop entrances, park benches etc said 'whites only'.

Her citizens were treated differently, depending on what colour skin they had.
    Then you're accepting that Israel and it's wall by definition does not constitue "apartheid" action?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    That may seem to be the case if one doesn't consider any other motive other than making money. However, the one doing the tour is actually providing an example of just how uncivilised the dividing wall is. I am sure that the tourists on seeing it would certainly not be celebrating divisive attitudes but rather, dwelling on the futility of division.
    Hmm. Perhaps.

Wrong, wrong, wrong! "Bigness" is...'the state or quality of being big...largeness' Ask any lexicographer. And 'separateness IS a word! http://www.wordreference.com/definition/separateness

Eat your words, AS.
    I think you'll find my point about normal words as opposed to silly-sounding and/or obscure ones still stands :p:. How many people use "bigness" and "separateness" in dissertations, speeches to the Commons, essays, sermons...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielf90)
    D'you know what's unfortunate? moderate palestinian voices are NEVER heard in western media, its only Hamas and the like. I genuinely (sadly) do not know what the moderate palestinians opinion is?!

Care to enlighten me?
    When the majority of Palestinians vote for Hamas, you get some sort of idea just how moderate the Palestinian people are.

(Original post by ForeverIsMyName)
    Then you're accepting that Israel and it's wall by definition does not constitue "apartheid" action?
    :confused:

I think you'll find my point about normal words as opposed to silly-sounding and/or obscure ones still stands :p:. How many people use "bigness" and "separateness" in dissertations, speeches to the Commons, essays, sermons...?
    Please - adding 'ness' to an adjective is widespread practice. Playful(ness) noise(ness) wide(ness) - just three examples that immediately spring to mind.

I'll let you bow out with your esteem intact now, if you want.

If V or Bis were here now they'd have our little 'debate within a debate' deleted because of being 'off topic'. It's good to see that you can indulge in playful(ness)

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.