Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who are the top 8 squads in europe. List the order. Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jam278)
    But setup.

Atlético aren't the best squad in europe but they won the league last season, got to CL final, beat Madrid over two legs in super copa. They are being underrated if they're under Juve. They'd easily beat Juve over two legs. They're equal in quality with Chelsea tbh.
    But the question is the best squad, not the best team.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's this IMO. Remember Barca actually have a relatively weak defence (esp. their backup choices) - no amount of mids can compensate (of course the starting XI is another matter). Chelsea and City have players in their reserves that could make any team let alone their subs. Tempted to put Dortmund in but Atleti pips it for me (again starting XI is another matter).

1. Real Madrid
    2. Bayern Munich
    3. Chelsea
    = Manchester City
    5. Barcelona
    6. PSG
    7. Juventus
    8. Atletico Madrid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    But the question is the best squad, not the best team.
    Essentially the same thing. Squads and teams win titles, not players or first 11s.

Therefore saying best squad is synonymous to best team. You're looking at it via FIFA ratings.

Plus anyway if we're looking at it that way then City are probably equal with Bayern and Chelsea are 6th and Real is the best squad(when it's clearly an unbalanced squad if you use the players in a system)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Essentially the same thing. Squads and teams win titles, not players or first 11s.

Therefore saying best squad is synonymous to best team. You're looking at it via FIFA ratings.

Plus anyway if we're looking at it that way then City are probably equal with Bayern and Chelsea are 6th and Real is the best squad(when it's clearly an unbalanced squad if you use the players in a system)
    It's really not the same thing. Squad means the group of individual players, team means how the manager uses those players and how they work as a team.

Atletico are one of the best teams but do no have one of the best squads.

ReputationRep:
    It's really not the same thing. Squad means the group of individual players, team means how the manager uses those players and how they work as a team.

Atletico are one of the best teams but do no have one of the best squads.
    You are severely underrating the ability of Atlético Madrid.

Juanfran, Godin, Miranda are as good as any RB(bar Lahm) and CB in europe tbh.

Gabi is a quality midfielder, Arda Turan, Griezmann and Koke are quality and Mandzukic is one of the best complete strikers in world football atm. They have a good setup, but they also have a very good team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by automathematic)
    I think it's this IMO. Remember Barca actually have a relatively weak defence (esp. their backup choices) - no amount of mids can compensate (of course the starting XI is another matter). Chelsea and City have players in their reserves that could make any team let alone their subs. Tempted to put Dortmund in but Atleti pips it for me (again starting XI is another matter).

1. Real Madrid
    2. Bayern Munich
    3. Chelsea
    = Manchester City
    5. Barcelona
    6. PSG
    7. Juventus
    8. Atletico Madrid
    Then it makes absolutely no sense why you put Real top. Atletico shouldn't be bottom either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordooooom)
    Then it makes absolutely no sense why you put Real top. And Man City above Barca? Lol
    This essentially.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    You are severely underrating the ability of Atlético Madrid.

Juanfran, Godin, Miranda are as good as any RB(bar Lahm) and CB in europe tbh.

Gabi is a quality midfielder, Arda Turan, Griezmann and Koke are quality and Mandzukic is one of the best complete strikers in world football atm. They have a good setup, but they also have a very good team.
    Yes and PSG have Ibra, Thiago Silva, Pogba, Cavani, Lucas Moura, Veratti, Lavezzi...

Juventus have Vidal, Marchisio, Pirlo, Chiellini, Buffon, Tevez, Llorente...

Both of them have better squads, but Atleti have performed better because they work better as a team and because of Simeone.

ReputationRep:
    Yes and PSG have Ibra, Thiago Silva, Pogba, Cavani, Lucas Moura, Veratti, Lavezzi...

Juventus have Vidal, Marchisio, Pirlo, Chiellini, Buffon, Tevez, Llorente...

Both of them have better squads, but Atleti have performed better because they work better as a team and because of Simeone.
    Pirlo is past it and gets away with it by having loads of protection like Gerrard at Liverpool or Alonso at Madrid last season.

Atlético's whole backline is better than PSG, yes better than Silva, Turan is better than Lavezzi, Koke is better than Moura.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Pirlo is past it and gets away with it by having loads of protection like Gerrard at Liverpool or Alonso at Madrid last season.

Atlético's whole backline is better than PSG, yes better than Silva, Turan is better than Lavezzi, Koke is better than Moura.
    No defender Atleti has is better than Thiago Silva. Turan, yes he probably is better than Lavezzi, Koke? Yes, probably. But that still doesn't change anything. Naming 2 of Atleti's best players and saying they are better than 2 of the lesser players from PSG I mentioned does not change the fact that the overall, whole squad is better.

Are you an Atleti fan or something?

ReputationRep:
    No defender Atleti has is better than Thiago Silva. Turan, yes he probably is better than Lavezzi, Koke? Yes, probably. But that still doesn't change anything. Naming 2 of Atleti's best players and saying they are better than 2 of the lesser players from PSG I mentioned does not change the fact that the overall, whole squad is better.

Are you an Atleti fan or something?
    No not an Atlético fan.

Silva is overrated tbh, who does he really have to defend against in France anyway? His Milan days were his best, as with Ibrahimovic.

Didn't name 2 players. I named the whole defence and actually compared it to PSG. They have a better defence than PSG just watch them play. PSG got outdone by Chelsea playing West Ham tactics. I used 6 players as Atlético use 4 defenders.

Could go straight up with Godin> or equal Silva, Miranda>>>>>>>>>David Luiz, Juanfran>>>>Van Der Wiel and Ansaldi/Silquera>Maxwell/Digne.

Atlético are better defensively. When you consider the teams that PSG face for Atlético to only had conceded 3 more goals and to have scored 7 less last season bodes quite well for them.

It's one of those things, if you see Atlético vs PSG, 8 times out of 10 I'd back Atlético tbh. May be due to style etc but I see them doing better than PSG.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    No not an Atlético fan.

Silva is overrated tbh, who does he really have to defend against in France anyway? His Milan days were his best, as with Ibrahimovic.

It's one of those things, if you see Atlético vs PSG, 8 times out of 10 I'd back Atlético tbh. May be due to style etc but I see them doing better than PSG.
    Again, that's completely not the point.

ReputationRep:
    Again, that's completely not the point.
    How else do you compare the squad then? By their FIFA rating? :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    How else do you compare the squad then? By their FIFA rating? :rolleyes:
    You can't, it's about your own judgement, hence the discussion. But this thread asks who has the best squad not who is the best team. I'm just saying the same thing over and over again so let's just agree to disagree

ReputationRep:
    Munich followed by Manchester city. Then Barcelona.

ReputationRep:
    Don't doubt Liverpool. Anyone who thinks they won't succeed (top 4) in the league because they've sold Suarez has a weak understanding of a team having a winning mentality. Not only have the players instilled that winning mentality within their head, Rodgers' expansive tactics will allow them to win a lot of games. Not only have they bought a decent striker in Balotelli, they have signed Lovren at CB, who I think will be very good in a few years time. Liverpool don't need to score 100+ goals a season, what they can do is score fewer goals, but concede fewer goals as well. By improving the defence while adding strength in depth to his squad, Rodgers has created a top 4 team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    Don't doubt Liverpool. Anyone who thinks they won't succeed (top 4) in the league because they've sold Suarez has a weak understanding of a team having a winning mentality. Not only have the players instilled that winning mentality within their head, Rodgers' expansive tactics will allow them to win a lot of games. Not only have they bought a decent striker in Balotelli, they have signed Lovren at CB, who I think will be very good in a few years time. Liverpool don't need to score 100+ goals a season, what they can do is score fewer goals, but concede fewer goals as well. By improving the defence while adding strength in depth to his squad, Rodgers has created a top 4 team.
    Yeah been saying this for the whole summer.

Although they're not top 8 squads in europe. Definitely 9th tho.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Dortmund have a better squad than Liverpool imo. People will be judging Dortmund on last season, but forget that for a large part of the season their whole back 4 was injured as well as Gundogan and Blaszczykowski.

Weidenfeller, Hummels, Subotic, Sokratis, Piszczek, Gundogan, Sahin, Reus, Mkhitaryan, Kuba, Kagawa, Immobile, Aubameyang...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah been saying this for the whole summer.

Although they're not top 8 squads in europe. Definitely 9th tho.
    <<< A few pages back, you agreed with someone that Liverpool will finish 5th because they'll sell Suarez and they will play in the CL.

Liverpool will finish higher than Arsenal and Manchester Utd, that is for sure. They'll finish 3rd imo. 4th is Arsenal's, Everton's or Utd's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnharM)
    <<< A few pages back, you agreed with someone that Liverpool will finish 5th because they'll sell Suarez and they will play in the CL.

Liverpool will finish higher than Arsenal and Manchester Utd, that is for sure. They'll finish 3rd imo. 4th is Arsenal's, Everton's or Utd's.
    Lel not in this thing.

Quote where I agreed. For majority of this summer have said that Liverpool are in a title challenge and said on this thread that they're above United in terms of squad.

I agreed with Zurich that United are in denial about their squad(which they are) but reiterated that I don't see pool dropping out the top 4.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 19, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.