Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What career do you intend to go into and why? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a Midwife. I think it will be a challenging but rewarding career. It can be a distressing time for women and their families and I want to help them through that. However I know there is the dark side of Midwifery such as miscarriages, stillbirth and complications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsboy1)
    The only professions that pay 6 figures a year or two after qualifying are IB/city law/set up your own business and be successful (unless you're very lucky and are on a profit sharing scheme etc.).

Speaking to my cousin, the only dentist he knows who earns £100k is someone who set up his own clinic in London. Plus anyone working in London gets a +% on their salary because they're working/living in London.

Orthodontists are practically the "consultants" of dentistry so to speak? And we all know how much consultants get paid...

Anyway, not trying to put you off but I see so much bs about dentistry on this forum I needed to speak out. I'm sure you've done enough research and genuinely love teeth/dental work so will enjoy your job!
    Not all Orthodontists are consultants, they do a masters degree and can practice orthodontics. You'd have to work your way up as an orthodontist in a hospital to be a consultant. You'll earn more as an orthodontist outside of a hospital than you would as a consultant most of the time.
    + consultants dont get paid THAT much, less than GPs most of the time. I dont think you know much about this at all lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Eww, eww, eww!! :eek: I could never become a dentist or oral hygienist! Then I would possibly like to become a doctor so...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't really be squemish in either careers. 'ew' isnt a word that you can use lol
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teen1234)
    Can't really be squemish in :rolleyes:either careers. 'ew' isnt a word that you can use lol
    Yeah, I'm going to have to work on that. There was a time I couldn't stand looking at pics of cells and things like that (that was Year 7 though). I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like my doctor saying eww if I had an issue

ReputationRep:
    I want to be a night guard at a museum, so I can watch all the animals come to life...

ReputationRep:
    Officially, I'm pretty clueless what I want to do. However, high school teaching keeps coming back to haunt me - I'm really unsure I'd like to do that because students are little ****s (and I am a student) and most of my family as taught at some point and hated it my mum always told me I should do anything else than teaching However, I think I'd be pretty good at actually teaching, though maybe not classroom control so much, and it seems like a pretty stable job. Also, I have quite a distinct career plan if I want to get into that, whereas I don't know how to get into other sectors!

Steps: starting my degree in September, there's a module I can take which is teaching in schools. I can also join societies which also go to schools to do workshops with them (depending which one I join it can be on drugs or sex education, which I was thinking of joining regardless to if I want to be a teacher or not).

I'd like to do a gap year after my degree, and this would be a good opportunity to become TEFL qualified and go work as an English teacher in somewhere like China which would be pretty cool. I'd also like to do a Masters degree, and I was looking at one which also has a work placement module, and so I could do another placement. However, I'm not sure which order to do this in (gap year then masters or masters then gap year), particularly if I want to apply to a PGCE/Schools Direct/Teach First whatever afterwards.

In between all this, I'm sure I could cultivate my ex-teachers and get some experience in my old high school or sixth form.

So I have this planned out quite well which is why it makes it so appealing - however I just don't know if I want to do it! My other ideas would be the Civil Service, ideally working in the Education sector, but I don't actually know what's really required of that and if I'd ever be good enough for it. Same with Law.

ReputationRep:
    kidding. any kind of paid job would be fine for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I didn't ever say you can't do it without work experience. You've missed my point, which was that those without work experience and so no real idea of what the career entails are often the ones to drop out when they realise it isn't how they envisaged. Who cares how old I am? I have done enough law work experience and a law degree so I'm sharing my experience, as are you.

I didn't say anything about your position? I am speaking in general. I'm sure you're not a failure at life, you have ambitions and you're trying again. There's nothing about failure here. I didn't fail in my dreams haha, I got my degree and can do what I wanted with it, I just don't want to now. And I don't remember ever speaking to you I'm afraid, I do come on here far too much...

Ah yes, silly me with my law degree, clearly I know nothing on the subject at all...and you?

Fair enough, I didn't mean you as I said. I think chasing a career solely for the money is something teenagers do a lot and that's what I meant by idealistic. I have worked at John Lewis, Waitrose, Virgin Active, Superdry, I worked in a small family law firm for a month, a City firm for two weeks of work experience, a chambers for a week and another chambers for a day. I have a 2:1 law degree but probably won't be using it in whatever I go into now.

I know haha, my Mum is a legal exec and apparently she can become one too. I didn't know whether it was common knowledge or not though. You should go for it!
    Unfortunately you've just shown why law could never be for you in a single post I'm just surprised it took you 3 years to realise. Good job on your 2.1 though, I'm sure you can be a success elsewhere.

My point stands; there's no reason to **** on the young ones dreams because your ambitions changed and perspective shifted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fastlove)
    But not all of those indie game developers are making much money infact loads close really quickly. how do you know all 3d artists are in high demand?
    Because they are lol. Thats why the salaries are high. If they weren't in demand they wouldn't be payed anything.

ReputationRep:
    Intended Career: engineering

Reasoning: two reasons - money and i enjoy it

Steps: graduate from uni and then work my way up the career ladder.

ReputationRep:
    I Wouldnt go into IB, sources inside the financial sector cannot stress to me how the financial sector will be changing dramatically very soon, and regulation will tighten substantially. It will not be the same as the past decades.

One of my oldest cousins is a COO of FOM at a well known city Bank and hes basically told me to find a different career when i mentioned being interested in the Financial Sector and IB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samba)
    Unfortunately you've just shown why law could never be for you in a single post I'm just surprised it took you 3 years to realise. Good job on your 2.1 though, I'm sure you can be a success elsewhere.

My point stands; there's no reason to **** on the young ones dreams because your ambitions changed and perspective shifted.
    How exactly? I don't want to do it, especially not commercial. I'll take your opinion on whether or not law is for me with a pinch of salt, seeing as you have no experience or law degree yourself presumably. And ok fine but I disagree with your point entirely, if your 'dreams' are based on 'what job can possibly get me the most money and prestige lol' then I think that dream should be reassessed when reality kicks in, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocrypha)
    I Wouldnt go into IB, sources inside the financial sector cannot stress to me how the financial sector will be changing dramatically very soon, and regulation will tighten substantially. It will not be the same as the past decades.

One of my oldest cousins is a COO of FOM at a well known city Bank and hes basically told me to find a different career when i mentioned being interested in the Financial Sector and IB.
    Each to their own. Drastic regulatory changes have already been implemented, with the new dodd-frank act having to be implemented. I intern at a IB in the City so I'm pretty up to date with the evolvements. The days of £1m bonuses to your junior 1st year analyst are over to be fair and now they're looking to cap F/O at Basic+100%.

Finance is always changing and developing and it's that fast-paced / adapt to change environment which furthers my interests in going in to the sector.

ReputationRep:
    I want to work in risk/insurance/personal finances - being a 'Wealth Manager' in particular.

We had a presentation on it and I just love the idea of having close relationships with clients, seeing them progress through their lives, etc.

Not sure how much money is in it though. Of all the different careers I've looked at, this one looks like it might be the most satisfying.

Also in the longer term perhaps work in regional development organisations abroad.

I'll be pursuing a degree in Economics & Politics from 2015 September (not sure if Econ with Pol would better suit my aspirations). Hopefully will do internships/work experience during my degree, and then hop onto a graduate scheme.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    Unconventional career aspiration . Given my ignorance on the subject, could you briefly explain what a virologist actually does?
    They conduct research on the viruses and work out treatments against them in certain conditions like herpes and HIV.

They work with viruses that infect every living thing such bacteria, plants and animals as well as humans.

Here's a link that will explain it better than I can http://www.wisegeek.com/what-does-a-virologist-do.htm

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my 3rd year at uni and I'm still not sure exactly what I would like to do.

Apply for environmental science or health, safety and environmental programs, I am definitely going to try and get into a grad scheme.

Then there is also research and development positions that look interesting, however these are very few and incredibly hard to get into. Finally I may apply for the civil service fast stream > generalist > science and engineering.

I chose a pretty general science degree so I'd have plenty of choice for jobs, I generally enjoy science and am excited to get started.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apocrypha)

Out of curiosity, what in the world does FOM stand for?

Never heard that term before.
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Intended career- Some finance role accountant/analyst

Reasoning- For money making ofc. Good career and well recognised. I learn ACCA.global recognition course. Course is flexible and easy to learn. Can learn on weekend and work on week days

Steps- I just completed my AS Level. But, I only gave my O/L certificate.As i haven't completed A2. I was able to join ACCA with O/L. I joined foundation level and got exempted from the first level of ACCA. Then I can most probably advance towards the 2nd level of ACCA instead of doing the first level of ACCA.

ReputationRep:
    Career; Engineer in some sort of Civil Engineering discipline, probably progress to a managerial position seeing as that's what most engineers become :s

Reasoning; I enjoy (and am relatively good at) design, maths and science, and applying those skills into a practical solution to a problem Plus job opportunities aren't a total wreck and the pay isn't bad (accepting the fact I won't be becoming a millionaire any time soon).

Steps; Studying Civil Engineering at decent university and have already secured a job at a Civil and Structural firm for this summer, despite being a first year :B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    How exactly? I don't want to do it, especially not commercial. I'll take your opinion on whether or not law is for me with a pinch of salt, seeing as you have no experience or law degree yourself presumably. And ok fine but I disagree with your point entirely, if your 'dreams' are based on 'what job can possibly get me the most money and prestige lol' then I think that dream should be reassessed when reality kicks in, sorry.
    Because both your long and short term memory are sub par, and you struggle to connect dots. Just as an example you quoted something I said, and then went on to say the exact same thing to le nombre at the end of the same post lol. You make assumptions that could then get you into trouble because of the memory issues. You didn't even know what I meant by a judicial appointment, and asked if I meant a solicitor or a barrister. I've no (well little) experience with a law degree no, but I've got a lot of experience with the law.

And I don't think people are looking at 'what job can possibly get me the most money and prestige lol' - they are looking at a path, and then looking to reach the top of it [which obviously comes with money and prestige ] Obviously you need to reassess along the way, but having a baseline is a good thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.