Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoyalBlue7)
    If God exists and Islam is true, then do you think you're doing something unislamic by believing in evolution or any other scientific observation that you believe to be true?

Do you agree that "Alhamdulillah" that all praise and gratitude should be to God, your creator if He exists, whatever the teachings of organized religion?
    Yes, because one of the beliefs is he made the world and everything in it.
    Yes.

(Original post by PsychadelicScarf)
    How do you think your parents would react if they found out you were questioning your religion? Would they cut you off if you left altogether?

And do you wear the muslim clothing? I'm sorry, I don't know what its called.
    They would be pretty disappointed. Direct me to a scholar or something most probably.

If I left, if I'm being honest they would most likely disown me. But I would be fine with that not because I think it's acceptable but because I already live on my own most of the year so it won't be that much different, I don't rely on them emotionally or financially so I'd be fine.

Not all the time but I wear it for Friday prayers or any other big prayer I go to. Usually it's just a T-Shirt and Jeans or joggers and jeans.

ReputationRep:
    I too am now an ex-muslim, after over 5 years of intense internal and external debate and have tried my hardest to defend the logicality of the religion, or religions in general. I have come to the conclusion that it was a futile attempt, and i was aiming at convincing myself more than anyone else. This is possibly due to the effect i felt it would have on my family if they ever found out and the general difficulty of relinquishing the imposed ignorance that had been inflicted on me by my parents from the first moments i was able to comprehend anything.

Happy to answer and/or debate my choices further if anyone wishes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkh_95)
    I too am now an ex-muslim, after over 5 years of intense internal and external debate and have tried my hardest to defend the logicality of the religion, or religions in general. I have come to the conclusion that it was a futile attempt, and i was aiming at convincing myself more than anyone else. This is possibly due to the effect i felt it would have on my family if they ever found out and the general difficulty of relinquishing the imposed ignorance that had been inflicted on me by my parents from the first moments i was able to comprehend anything.

Happy to answer and/or debate my choices further if anyone wishes.
    why was it a 'futile' attempt? what made you leave Islam if you were a Muslim before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yes.

They would be pretty disappointed. Direct me to a scholar or something most probably.

If I left, if I'm being honest they would most likely disown me. But I would be fine with that not because I think it's acceptable but because I already live on my own most of the year so it won't be that much different, I don't rely on them emotionally or financially so I'd be fine.

Not all the time but I wear it for Friday prayers or any other big prayer I go to. Usually it's just a T-Shirt and Jeans or joggers and jeans.
    So you'd be fine if your family told you they would never see you again because you couldn't make yourself think like them any more?

ReputationRep:
    Would you become a christian?

ReputationRep:
    So you'd be fine if your family told you they would never see you again because you couldn't make yourself think like them any more?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
    Would you become a christian?
    If I was to leave religion it would be all religions so probably no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yes.
    I take it you're not close to them..?

ReputationRep:
    I take it you're not close to them..?
    Not in the slightest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyfrog2_10)
    why was it a 'futile' attempt? what made you leave Islam if you were a Muslim before?
    Because i was attempting to defend claims beyond reason and logic. To me, it was a kind of, in Orwellian terms, (1984) doublethink sort of situation. One that i was expected to perpetuate just because i was born into it. The general pointlessness of it. The Abrahamic religions to me now, are largely just theories that attempt to weakly answer metaphysical questions and give people a misguided feeling of contentment and psychological protection from aspects like death and despair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fkh_95)
    Because i was attempting to defend claims beyond reason and logic. To me, it was a kind of, in Orwellian terms, (1984) doublethink sort of situation. One that i was expected to perpetuate just because i was born into it. The general pointlessness of it. The Abrahamic religions to me now, are largely just theories that attempt to weakly answer metaphysical questions and give people a misguided feeling of contentment and psychological protection from aspects like death and despair.
    so what made you leave Islam? elaborate 'pointlessness of it'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mightyfrog2_10)
    so what made you leave Islam? elaborate 'pointlessness of it'?
    If i have not been concise i apologize, but by following basic philosophical reasoning i saw absolutely no reason to believe in the existence of the soul and found no evidence at all to support the claims of the existence of god. And by reading the Quran and other religious texts i realized that the overarching trend was one that exploited natural human emotions of fear about the unknown (i.e death, consciousness, existence. etc) for either a mutual acceptance of ignorance so that the anxiety of existentialism would not be a problem that the people would have to deal with. Or a more simple reason, a basic desire for power by those who profess to be their prophets.

Furthermore, the exploitation of the supposed, "perfect words of god", is ironic as each person would perceive the Quran in their own individual way and would therefore entail that the words within it to be understood differently and therefore invoke different ideas to different people, hence rendering the perfection obsolete, as there cannot be multiple forms of the Perfect word.

Another such imperfection which i feel is attributable to most religions is the narcissistic nature of a Omnipotent and Omniscient being. For instance, a good truly powerful being would have no need, first of all to call us into being, and then to tell us to worship him/her and instill such strict guidelines that stretch from the dangers of Homosexuality to the belief that we are the true believers of god. Such petty features do not appear to me to be the words of a truly divine entity. To instill in humanity such traits as sexual urges and then to call for them to be repressed for the sake of a God which is so powerful that it would seem he would be above the desire to even be acknowledged by his creations seems largely flawed and the reasoning,to me, non-existent.

Sorry for the rant. There are many more reasons and i could go on for hours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yes.
    I guess you misread my first question. I said "if Islam is true". So I asked you to assume its true and then answer the question. Did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why haven't you left Islam yet?

ReputationRep:
    I guess you misread my first question. I said "if Islam is true". So I asked you to assume its true and then answer the question. Did you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

(Original post by Donald Duck)
    Why haven't you left Islam yet?
    I think there is still a part of me that believes in it. I mean from a spiritual point of view, praying brings me serenity and humbles which is some the aspects of religion that I enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yes
    But how can believing in the truth seem unislamic when Islam is assumed to be the truth?

ReputationRep:
    But how can believing in the truth seem unislamic when Islam is assumed to be the truth?
    That's the dilemma. It is impossible to believe in a scientific origin of the universe and evolution and Islam, unless you're willing to bend one explanation to fit the other.

Believing in the truth (assume scientific explanation) is unislamic (is that a word?) when it contradicts what Islam preaches.

If that makes sense? If it doesn't I apologise because I don't really understand what you're asking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    That's the dilemma. It is impossible to believe in a scientific origin of the universe and evolution and Islam, unless you're willing to bend one explanation to fit the other.

Believing in the truth (assume scientific explanation) is unislamic (is that a word?) when it contradicts what Islam preaches.

If that makes sense? If it doesn't I apologise because I don't really understand what you're asking.
    Thanks for answering

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Yes

I think there is still a part of me that believes in it. I mean from a spiritual point of view, praying brings me serenity and humbles which is some the aspects of religion that I enjoy.
    But those are just things asoociated with the religion. That shouldn't affect your belief on if it is true, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    Have you ever consider leaving the religion?
    Yeah but when I thought of it, there seems no harm, Islam teaches sound principles such as not using drugs alcohol and respecting parent ect. These basic principle prevent people from developing addictions allow you to practise self control even Ramadan for example.

Also when thinking about God m reasoning goes like this, you can’t disprove god and therefore it can’t be wrong until proven so no harm in believing in such.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.