Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Your hurt because he doesn't like Nigerian girls jeez?

I think Nigerian girls aswell as Zimbabwe girls are the prettiest in Africa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was joking!Aw thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I've always wondered, why is that if a white person grows an afro/dreadlocks they're considered "cool" or "edgy", but black women wearing weave is considered "self hate"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MissOvoxo)
    I was joking!Aw thanks!
    Naiji gals :coma:
    soo good.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg1405011201918.jpg (8.8 KB)
  2. File Type: jpg1405011209206.jpg (8.1 KB)
  3. File Type: jpg1405011217966.jpg (12.0 KB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rlove95)
    I think people have the right to choose what they want to do with their hair. If I feel more comfortable in weaves then I don't get why thats anybody's business. I don't hate myself, I just prefer wearing weaves. You don't hate yourself if you wear make-up, you don't hate yourself if you tan so why do you hate yourself self if you wear weaves? I find natural hair beautiful and I admire those that can pull it off but I also think weave looks really nice on other people and I don't think not having natural hair is actually a problem.

Too many people are self-righteous about hair, its just hair, its not a big deal. You aren't suddenly trying to become white if you decide to have weave instead of natural hair. Its exactly the same as saying people who tan are trying to become a different race, no they are just doing what they feel looks nice. The tan doesn't make them black or Latino or whatever just like how the weave doesn't stop someone from being black. Being black isn't about natural hair, or whatever, being black is about being black.

Basically what I'm trying to say is let people do what they want.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5DrmbcG00

Just watch this please.
    If you cant see the psychological damage this does to black people and black women you are lost.

no they are just doing what they feel looks nice.

Exactly if the only time you feel you look nice is walking around with an asian hair hat on your head then this is a very serious problem you obviously dont like your hair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Mate. Psychology is pretty much guess work and speculation. Anything you read in a pyschology text book has to be taken with a pinch of salt because none of it is 100% fact. Especially American studies because they come out with a lot of new things just so they can diagnose people and make money out of it. Since it's a profit making business there.
    i see so by your opinion psychology is bullsh*t and should not be referenced?

depression is bullsh*t?
    schizophrenia is is bullsh*t?
    ptsd is is bullsh*t?

Dude you're mixing up common sense, with racial prejudice.

I'm sure if Tyrion saw a man running towards her with a bloody knife shouting obscenities she'd run away lmao. But that would be regardless of their race. Just because someone has a certain skin colour doesn't mean they're going to kill you.
    no shes not using common sense shes jsut admitted that if she was in a room full of people she wouldnt be able to decide on who to approach first.

funnily enough i did mention lots more than just race but your focusing in on the racial element rather than being able to gauge or judge peoples temperament. their age their gender everything. most people i know are very good to a sherlock level of finding detail in appearance to find get information on the person they are talking to. you take in everything and yes skin colour is one of them. for example if i saw a south asian male and he was wearing a torque bracelet round his wrist i would guess he was sikh. if i saw a white person wearing a claddagh ring id guess they were irish. i would notice these details and not be ignorant to them. i am aware of significance they hold. its your ability to read visual information and connect it to pre learned information you have. which she is denying she has. and im guessing also are u.

I still make judgements but I make them based on behaviour I am seeing rather than skin colour. I judge you to be a racist narrow-minded fool and I've made that judgement based on the attitude you've displayed and not your race.
    yeah you would judge me to be racist. cause your an idiot. out of all the points i make you decide to focus on race. which is a word i have avoided using and prefer ethnicity because race is a bit old fashioned. but im aware people have a habit that when in an argument cannot wait to call their opponent racist in attempt to smear character and invalidate peoples opinions on a matter. you know. like the type of people that try and turn immigration debates into debates about racism.

you do take race into consideration. you do notice it. your not blind. im sure you would be surprised if you met a black man who was born and raised in japan. because thats rare. how do you know its rare? because you know what japanese people look like. and you know about the nations where black people often originate from. many of the black people in the uk are of african or caribbean descent. im not going when i meet someone black that they are negrito from Philippines. i base that guess of of what i know. there are clues on everyone. how they cut their hair, how they dress, their skin tone, their phenotype facial features, their grooming, their jewellery, their accent, where they are currently. have they been injured are they walking with a limp? are they nervous do their finger nails show nibble marks? do they have lots of scars? if they have a horse shoe shaped scar that that is from a glass cut, cigarrette burn/possible gunshot wound. the way people walk, their body language SOO MUCH STUFF. but apparently you and people like tyrion are blind to all of this.

truth is we all make judgements like this. unless your handicapped mentally. the differences is how we treat people or react to the information we have. i'm aware i look like what many would consider a ruffian criminal. but i dont blame people for that because from time to time i see what they mean. what does annoy me though is when i meet people like tyrion who i can see make judgements on me and change in their physical behaviour, verbal tone, posture etc and immediately become more defensive due to my perceived danger make judgements but then claim their the type of person who does not because it wins them some sort of kudos in their gap yaah white people with dread locks & sandels john lennon wannabe circles. get over your selves

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Actually some black girls wear weave to grow out their natural hair unlike what you wrote (you can check youtube of natural black girls wearing weave to grow out their hair and when it reaches the length they want, they ditch the weave. The black community have started taking care of their natural hair since at least 5 years ago) and the eye contact thing (it could be a change from the ideal brown eyes for them). For the blond hair, some have natural tan like skin (kinda like beyonce sometimes and blond hair suits their skin a lot compared to other colours of hair). All these things could also be a fashion statement, we all know that black people like to make fashion statements with how the dress, hairstyles etc. I don't know why people think that practise the above should be labelled as not being proud of being black and like the western idealised beauty: it's simply not true. Caucasian girls and although quite rare, Asian girls also wear weave although they call it "extension", it's the same thing. They also "perm" their hair, you don't see people labelling them as having an inferiority complex or not liking the hair they were born with, but you with black girls, it is not the same, they are all labelled.

One thing I would say though, it that African girls (especially Nigerian girls are beautiful, cultured and educated). I also think "preference" is racist, there is always a racial connotation with it, anyone that says otherwise is looking through rose tinted glasses tbh. I mean there are many attractive black girls, white girls etc, so to say that one is only attracted to a specific race is abysmal and racist in my opinion e.g. Jessica White, Keke Palmer, Tika Sumpter etc and is a beautiful black girl in my opinion (she isn't mixed either).
    As a black girl, my hair is like an accessorie. So I wear weaves and all the rest to experiment and try out different styles I woudn't dare do with my natural hair. Though I must say, I only wear weaves in winter, and rock my natural hair in the summer.

I blame the media for portraying black women in a certain way for the epidemic of brazilian/peruvian...etc weaves, and this whole light skin/dark skin debate. For example, celebrities like Beyonce are put on a pedestal of perfection as ideals of black beauty, consequently black girls tend to emulate her looks or whatever in order to feel attractive or be accepted etc in a society obsessed with looks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sopheea)
    Some people have learnt to not see different races, but just different people, i used to be that way but i started studying history (american) and i got interested in learning about racism, feminism and other stuff. These people probably stopped listening to all the talk about racism cause in my opinion thats what is keeping racism, or the perception of it alive. So yea its possible

I have a gay friend and yea once in a while I'm like a right he's gay but when you chose to just see a person, you mind will just let you see a person

In nigeria there are soo many ethnicities and when i got tried of trying to identify people by what tribe they are from i began to just see Nigerians.

Its a mind thing
    i disagree. i was a at a party full of left wingers who claimed to "not see race" which is a stupid idea because we all see it even if we dont want to and try and shake it off. but anyway they were making those claims. yet when my friend who is a very well spoken black man got in an argument with one of the people there. the guy responded by saying "OH NO... (sarcastically) are you gonna SHANK me BLOOD? lol"

im sure as a black women (although maybe your a bit young to notice yet or maybe its just easier to get by trying not to notice) you notice people who obviously notice race but claim to be blind and unaware to it so as to gain some sort of perceived social favour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fojodef)
    well in my experience of law. i would never expect a lawyer to defend me from a crime. they are not suppose to get you off. not in the uk.

thats why you dont get gangsters in the uk being represented by lawyers. they usually represent themselves.

but isnt it more about you want to stop lads who are innocent or dont deserve prison from going in?
    well my original plan was not to practice uk law but us law, the fact my parents made me study in the uk also made me change my choice to become a lawyer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    I've always wondered, why is that if a white person grows an afro/dreadlocks they're considered "cool" or "edgy", but black women wearing weave is considered "self hate"?
    Difference is most white people aren't wearing dreads or afros are they.
    If most started im pretty sure people would be questioning their sanity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    Some black girls wear weaves and put their hair in braids in order to grow out their hair. My hair is in long braids because I want it to grow past my shoulders and I have a hard time taking care of it to the extent of it breaking. It can be beneficial to keep it natural, so don't class this as self-hate - it's nothing more than convenience.
    The keyword is some.
    Yes Some do but most dont. This whole "protective style and "growing the hair out" for the most part is nonsense because black women are "protecting and growing their hair out 24/7 .

I sat next to a black girl on the bus once and then I felt something on my arm and it was a piece of her weave but I was too scared to say anything so I left it on my arm for the rest of the journey.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ5DrmbcG00

Just watch this please.
    If you cant see the psychological damage this does to black people and black women you are lost.

no they are just doing what they feel looks nice.

Exactly if the only time you feel you look nice is walking around with an asian hair hat on your head then this is a very serious problem you obviously dont like your hair
    Yeah if they feel that looks nice, whats it got to do with you?

They might be, I still don't understand why its your business. You aren't talking about the white girls who walk around with weave, or the asian girls or anything like that. Solely focusing on the black girls. If a white girl gets extensions, its just beauty but if a black girl does it suddenly they hate themselves?

Its not a serious problem, its about as serious as the problem of make-up, or fake tan or heels or push-bras. Its just one of the many things girls do to make them look nicer. If you have problem with girls doing stuff to make themselves look better or to make themselves feel more comfortable thats another issue but don't act like black girls are all self-hating traitors.

I'm not going to lie and say black girls don't try to emulate western culture by using weaves, contouring their noses etc but I don't necessarily think that means they hate their blackness. I don't think its that big of a deal. Its like European people who try emulate Japanese culture, they think something looks nice so they do it themselves. If I think long hair looks nice and I want to have long hair, I don't see the problem? That doesn't mean I want to be white or that I hate being black, I'm just adopting part of the western image that I like. Just like how some European will wear tribal print clothes, doesn't mean that they want to be part of an African tribe, they just like tribal print so decide to wear it because they view it trendy. We all adopt stuff from eachothers cultures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fojodef)
    i disagree. i was a at a party full of left wingers who claimed to "not see race" which is a stupid idea because we all see it even if we dont want to and try and shake it off. but anyway they were making those claims. yet when my friend who is a very well spoken black man got in an argument with one of the people there. the guy responded by saying "OH NO... (sarcastically) are you gonna SHANK me BLOOD? lol"

im sure as a black women (although maybe your a bit young to notice yet or maybe its just easier to get by trying not to notice) you notice people who obviously notice race but claim to be blind and unaware to it so as to gain some sort of perceived social favour.
    I see that as a stereotype, honestly i believe for an action to be racist it must have the intent of inflicting malicious harm to be existent

ReputationRep:
    I sat next to a black girl on the bus once and then I felt something on my arm and it was a piece of her weave but I was too scared to say anything so I left it on my arm for the rest of the journey.......
    LMFAO! That's peak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LarissaN)
    As a black girl, my hair is like an accessorie. So I wear weaves and all the rest to experiment and try out different styles I woudn't dare do with my natural hair. Though I must say, I only wear weaves in winter, and rock my natural hair in the summer.

I blame the media for portraying black women in a certain way for the epidemic of brazilian/peruvian...etc weaves, and this whole light skin/dark skin debate. For example, celebrities like Beyonce are put on a pedestal of perfection as ideals of black beauty, consequently black girls tend to emulate her looks or whatever in order to feel attractive or be accepted etc in a society obsessed with looks.
    This is exactly what i have been saying.
    Why are people denying this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    You don't get it. What I'm saying here is not having the qualifications doesn't mean they don't know what they're talking about. They may, they may not. But it's not automatic. Then again I wouldn't expect anything less from someone as judgemental as yourself

Other users have also pointed out the error in what you're saying, are we all idiots?
    chicken madness at least admited she judges people just denies being able to process ethnicity related info (allegedly)

its just an immature thing thats quite common among the tumbler type social justice warrior circles.

they think that by admitting to taking in ALL aspects of a persons information (yes thats right including ethnicity) is impossible. they are scared to say anything like that because they know some idiot will come along screaming "you shouldnt judge people!" or that if you make judgements on someones appearance people will try and manoeuvre the argument into you being a racist.

its totally unprogressive and stupid. and most of the time its white people of privilege doing this. trying to shut down any discussion about race. and you claiming to live with your head in the clouds isnt helping anyone.

there communities that have legitimate problems.
    like yes its a stereotype irish people are drunk.
    but you know what? as an irish guy as much as i hate to admit it the stereotype DOES come from somewhere. and its a problem in our community that has destroyed many lives and many families. and simply denying the problem exists and calling it stereotyping is not going to help me help my community. you have to acknowledge the problem exists before you solve it.

also my argument was that you referencing a bloggers blog, who has little to no clout in this area is a crap reference. its un academic and unscientific. its just pure self centred opinion. which may be of value to people like you. but in a debate about discrediting a science i'd expect a bit more than a blogger whos expertise isnt even in this area. its insulting to people that have dedicated huge chunks of their lives becoming experts and building layer upon layer of scholarly research for some arrogant self proclaimed no it all with an ego and blog to come waving their "im special" opinion stick about discrediting their lifes work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    If they can grow an afro, it's likely because they have that texture of hair.
    And dreadlocks would still be their own hair.

I don't see the similarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    This is exactly what i have been saying.
    Why are people denying this
    Because people don't like to be condemned

ReputationRep:
    Is that why you're anonymous too?

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'm not struggling. And no I haven't wrongly and ignorantly judged Buddhism. And yes I have judged you but it wasn't an ignorant judgement. You ARE racist. You ARE prejudiced. I didn't make any assumptions like you have.

+ I didn't say I don't judge. I said I'm not racist
    thats interesting. please find my racist comments.

everyone is prejudice. its a stupid word. because any intelligent person pre judges situations. in chess you prejudge your opponents next move.

yes you have you claimed buddhists dont judge people. that they seemed to have all immediately found enlightenment and perfection.

no even buddhists would admit they judge and have personal imperfections.

also racism means nothing nowadays. people use it in arguments just to try and gag people and shut them up, smear them or discredit them.

its completely lost its value or worth as a word.

even racists claim they are not racist.

everyones just full of it.

i have no idea of knowing if your racist or not or to what level.

i know one thing. i know people who have prejudged me and called the police on me for just standing around all claim that they are not prejudice or anything like that. because everyone wants to be thought of as a nice non judgemental cool person. but in reality they are all just constructing themselves like that.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.