Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned? Watch

ReputationRep:
    No. Suck it up and be a waterboy if you don't like it. Or play hooky.
    If you think something should be banned because you suck at it, or because you think it's unfair, you are part of the problem with society.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    I, like most other young people in Britain, have just participated in the annual Sports Day. Being somebody who is not particularly gifted in sport, I have never enjoyed a Sports Day nor have I been successful in my chosen events. Understandably, the prospect of being humiliated in front of your school is not something to look forward to.

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned/compulsory? If someone were to suggest that everyone has to play an instrument in front of the entire school, everyone would consider it baloney. Why it is different for sport, I don't know.

I assume that most people would say that sports day is fantastic for the "together-ness" of the day. However, in my experience, it is remarkably easy to avoid events or the actual day itself. The participants in the races are, naturally, people who are good at sport.

I think that the communal aspect is great, however, I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.

What do you think?
    No they shouldn't be banned. Sports days are very important in helping young people decide which members of the opposite sex to date and reproduce with. It is especially important for women to determine which men are the fittest for reproductive purposes and which men are the weakest so they can avoid reproducing with these males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doctor_Einstein)
    No they shouldn't be banned. Sports days are very important in helping young people decide which members of the opposite sex to date and reproduce with. It is especially important for women to determine which men are the fittest for reproductive purposes and which men are the weakest so they can avoid reproducing with these males.
    :lol: they might as well mandate all the girls into a "strip day" then

ReputationRep:
    That feeling when you win the 100m because you were a whisker behind the leader but he stopped dead on the second to last line from the finish line instead of racing through lol. Stupid *******.

ReputationRep:
    We'd be a pretty pathetic species if the ability to effectively control and coordinate our bodies was seen as an obscure and unnecessary skill.

Physical education is as important as academic education. Learning the FUNdamentals and the ABCs and obtaining a basic level of strength and fitness should be compulsory, you should be unable to graduate from school without achieving a minimum standard.

Having a single sportsday is largely pathetic. 8 hours minimum of sport per week should be compulsory with regular testing.

I don't give a **** if you don't like it, lots of people don't like maths, but they're both important.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    Was compulsory at my school.

(provided you turned up of course : P)
    Ah kk, I didn't know that! It's optional in my school but you have to fill the spaces in the events or else you won't get points for the event.
    I think that's good, Sports Day shouldn't be banned
    Really?
    • Welcome Squad

It can be quite embarrassing and upsetting coming last at such a young age in front of the whole school and parents.
    And then receiving only participation certificates.

I don't see why it's necessary.

You do P.E like every week. So why such an big event?

It shouldn't be banned. But it should not be enforced in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hariex)
    I, like most other young people in Britain, have just participated in the annual Sports Day. Being somebody who is not particularly gifted in sport, I have never enjoyed a Sports Day nor have I been successful in my chosen events. Understandably, the prospect of being humiliated in front of your school is not something to look forward to.

Do you think that Sports Day should be banned/compulsory? If someone were to suggest that everyone has to play an instrument in front of the entire school, everyone would consider it baloney. Why it is different for sport, I don't know.

I assume that most people would say that sports day is fantastic for the "together-ness" of the day. However, in my experience, it is remarkably easy to avoid events or the actual day itself. The participants in the races are, naturally, people who are good at sport.

I think that the communal aspect is great, however, I think that there should be an academic opportunity for those who aren't good at sport.

What do you think?
    For the school I attended Sports Day was optional.. I myself was never particularly good at sports.. I could barely hit a ball with a tennis racket (I have my reasons).

Given my skill at sports was laughable I decided to skip every annual Sports Day, with the exclusion of relay/running races (those were the only activities I would contribute), the same applied with PE classes (I wouldn't attend PE).

I don't think it's a good enough reason to actually ban Sports Day, it's one of the few annual activities that requires teamwork. In some cases it's a time where people can show their talents.

I don't think the event should be compulsory, just optional for students.

ReputationRep:
    updated list of "cool kids" events:

100m iphone dash... you have to text a 140 word twitter message on an iphone whilst running 100m in a straight line. all navigation aids must be disabled...

TSR rep-athon. You must post a tragic story about yourself in Relationships whilst jogging round the Sports Field. the winner is the person with the most reps after 12 circuits. a special prize for the most PMs arising.

ipod and spoon race... you have to run 200m balancing an ipod on a teaspoon. all wires must be disconnected.

NEW:

Dongle Hurling: a standard PC WiFi dongle must be hurled with one hand whilst clutching a frappucino in the other hand. Any coffee spillage results in disqualification.

TSR swimming Ban-athon: Offensive posting whilst treading water in the Pool. No flotation aids allowed.

the Gold Medal is awarded to the person who is banned first. Silver for fastest Yellow Card without subsequent ban.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Ah kk, I didn't know that! It's optional in my school but you have to fill the spaces in the events or else you won't get points for the event.
    I think that's good, Sports Day shouldn't be banned
    Really?
    I will admit I didn't turn up once. Had hay fever.

It seems like the girls were better at not turning up though. Don't ask why :P

ReputationRep:
    just ditch sports day next time it happens, i think everyone is well aware that it's not something you can be forced to do, and if you're like me who is terrible at sports and makes no good contribution towards sports day, it's not like anyone's going to notice that you didn't go, what can the teachers do if you don't go, nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    We'd be a pretty pathetic species if the ability to effectively control and coordinate our bodies was seen as an obscure and unnecessary skill.

Physical education is as important as academic education. Learning the FUNdamentals and the ABCs and obtaining a basic level of strength and fitness should be compulsory, you should be unable to graduate from school without achieving a minimum standard.

Having a single sportsday is largely pathetic. 8 hours minimum of sport per week should be compulsory with regular testing.

I don't give a **** if you don't like it, lots of people don't like maths, but they're both important.
    Completely agree.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exon)
    I will admit I didn't turn up once. Had hay fever.

It seems like the girls were better at not turning up though. Don't ask why :P
    Bad hay fever? I thought I was getting it have fever *shivers*, I think it was just temporary though!
    You realise that I'm going to ask why now?

Also... Your profile pic is creepy :0

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    Bad hay fever? I thought I was getting it have fever *shivers*, I think it was just temporary though!
    You realise that I'm going to ask why now?

Also... Your profile pic is creepy :0
    I cannot read minds.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.