Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should there be an upper TSR age limit? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Soz (not soz) for ignoring.
    After interacting with you on a couple of threads, I expect nothing less from your childishness and refusal to see things beyond your own situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I said this to Small Town Girl in post #82, which she completely ignored, as is her way...

"Again, you're taking the extreme position that involving others = them making your decisions for you. That's clearly idiotic. What most sane and rational people are talking about is utilising the knowledge and experience of people who have been there and done that to help you make an educated decision. If you'd rather make a decision based on no background, then you're going to be wasting a lot of time in the future."

Them doing research and getting educated on what it is you're doing is no bad thing at all. Wouldn't you like them to be interested in what you're doing? There is, obviously, a clear difference between that and controlling type of parents that nobody wants.
    I don't mind them taking an interest, and I don't mind them researching it with me. However I wouldn't appreciate any more than that. I find it weird and restrictive

What kind of thing do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    Yes, but potentially the troll : member ratio might be 1.
    Raises an interesting existential question or two.

If a troll trolls in a forum and there's no-one there to hear them, do they really make a post against Islam?

Can you troll yourself?

ReputationRep:
    After interacting with you on a couple of threads, I expect nothing less from your childishness and refusal to see things beyond your own situation.
    Because you know me so well... Grow up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    I don't mind them taking an interest, and I don't mind them researching it with me. However I wouldn't appreciate any more than that. I find it weird and restrictive

What kind of thing do you mean?
    Kid: I'm thinking of going to either Manchester or Sheffield to do x course.
    Parents: Well, Manchester has these benefits as a course, but these negatives. It's a good place to live because of x and a bad place to live because of y. Sheffield has this pro, this con, etc....
    Kid: Ah, thanks, hadn't heard of 1, 2 or more of those things, I'll bear them in mind.

(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Because you know me so well... Grow up.
    I know the image you portray on here. One can only hope for your sake that you're different in person.

ReputationRep:
    Leave her alone. I get the feeling she's living in a lonely world.

ReputationRep:
    Kid: I'm thinking of going to either Manchester or Sheffield to do x course.
    Parents: Well, Manchester has these benefits as a course, but these negatives. It's a good place to live because of x and a bad place to live because of y. Sheffield has this pro, this con, etc....
    Kid: Ah, thanks, hadn't heard of 1, 2 or more of those things, I'll bear them in mind.

I know the image you portray on here. One can only hope for your sake that you're different in person.
    That's not too bad. But if it went any further I'd be annoyed. Say if I said I wanted to study x at Sheffield and they were trying to get me to change my mind, or started looking into it in loads of depth

ReputationRep:
    That's not too bad. But if it went any further I'd be annoyed. Say if I said I wanted to study x at Sheffield and they were trying to get me to change my mind, or started looking into it in loads of depth
    That's then when we go into the realm of controlling, which everyone agrees is bad.

If, however, they were to say "I think you should go here because of x, y and z, but it's your choice" and then supported you regardless, are you really going to be upset? That just smacks of irrationality.

ReputationRep:
    That's then when we go into the realm of controlling, which everyone agrees is bad.

If, however, they were to say "I think you should go here because of x, y and z, but it's your choice" and then supported you regardless, are you really going to be upset? That just smacks of irrationality.
    I'd still be a bit pissed off if it was for something I'm not bothered about, such as "mickey mouse course" or other stupid reasons parents get involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    I do find it a bit weird when people in their 40s+ actively engage in discussion with people 25 years younger than them. If a 40 year old started a debate with a 15 year old in real life, I would find it very odd. However, I can see the benefits of having older members and they outweigh any negatives.

I also find it odd that someone would join this forum if they are not currently studying at uni, or have completed a degree. That's why you end up with so many idiots on this site trying to engage in debate with people far more intelligent than them. People know their place in the real word but these boundaries disappear online, meaning the beautician's opinion is worth the same as the doctor's.
    but a beautician's opinion is worth the same as a doctor's in the real world too. At least in my eyes, anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)
    but a beautician's opinion is worth the same as a doctor's in the real world too. At least in my eyes, anyway
    Ye with people like Pane their opinion becomes worthless in my eyes because they show high levels of arrogance and narrow-minded-ness. Which usually ends up in ****e advice.

ReputationRep:
    Forced to say that it's this kind of bickering which makes me think I should leave.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by louieee)
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    Ye with people like Pane their opinion becomes worthless in my eyes because they show high levels of arrogance and narrow-minded-ness. Which usually ends up in ****e advice.
    This

ReputationRep:
    I'd still be a bit pissed off if it was for something I'm not bothered about, such as "mickey mouse course" or other stupid reasons parents get involved
    Can't just generalise like that though. Sure, some parents might take it a bit far, but I'd wager the vast majority just want what's best, if they're helping you consider something you may not have thought about then that has to be nothing but a good thing, no?

ReputationRep:
    Because I like the site? Seriously what's your problem? You've been here for what, 20 minutes and you're telling someone who's an established member that they shouldn't be here because you deem it so? :curious:
    Surely the established members are the ones with more experience and therefore in a better position to give advice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    How arrogant and narrow minded of you.

ReputationRep:
    Can't just generalise like that though. Sure, some parents might take it a bit far, but I'd wager the vast majority just want what's best, if they're helping you consider something you may not have thought about then that has to be nothing but a good thing, no?
    Because they should respect my decisions and not try to influence me with their views

ReputationRep:
    Because they should respect my decisions and not try to influence me with their views
    And wanting to make sure you're making those decisions based on correct and relevant information is interfering and trying to influence you? They want what's best for you so they're giving you as much information as you need to make the right choice. I cannot fathom how that's a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    And wanting to make sure you're making those decisions based on correct and relevant information is interfering and trying to influence you? They want what's best for you so they're giving you as much information as you need to make the right choice. I cannot fathom how that's a bad thing.
    I think it's the degree they do it as to whether it's good or bad. Info is fine but when they start giving opinions it annoys me

ReputationRep:
    I think it's the degree they do it as to whether it's good or bad. Info is fine but when they start giving opinions it annoys me
    Why?

The only reason an opinion would annoy me is if it proved I was wrong about something. And as much as it might annoy, in the grand scheme of things it would be necessary otherwise I'd be about do to something wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.