Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who is the best player in the premier league/who will have the best season next year? Watch

• View Poll Results: Best player in the premier league
    Sanchez
    7.26%
    Ozil
    6.45%
    Hazard
    12.90%
    Mata
    1.61%
    Diego Costa
    2.42%
    Daniel Sturridge
    4.84%
    Raheem Sterling
    3.23%
    Robin Van Persie
    4.03%
    Vincent Kompany
    3.23%
    John Terry
    1.61%
    Fabregas
    4.03%
    Mertesacker
    0.81%
    David Silva
    1.61%
    Sergio Aguero
    8.87%
    Yaya Toure
    34.68%
    Other
    2.42%

ReputationRep:
    Is losingdogs baconbutty's dupe?

ReputationRep:
    Nope as baconbutty is still on this.

Also Baconbutty didn't do uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    I believe that Sturridge is just as good as him but he helped lead Liverpool to 2nd place.

Costa does deserve to be in the shortlist. One minute away from masterminding a League CL double. He didn't do too much after the quarters but you'd say he was the main man who got them to win the league and to the latter stages of CL. Also Costa's goal record this season is more than Messi's and only really below Ronaldos if I remember correctly.
    I agree he deserves to be shortlisted, possibly top 3 but he's nowhere near Ronaldo levels. A very good player though no doubt. Also can't really say he contributed much in CL final as he didn't play as you said, although you could say the same for Ronaldo in that respect.

I'm confident for tomorrow btw. I think Jose will want to irritate by getting 1 goal and then bringing the plane.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah we just need to attack them, get an early goal and park a plane.

ReputationRep:
    Also I can't believe I put in Sterling in the poll.

I don't get why Toure got an outstanding poll when it was clear he wasn't even the best player in his own team let alone in the league. A few free kicks does nothing to help that.

ReputationRep:
    Someone voted for Mertesacker :rofl:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe Kompany has more votes than Silva.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway looks like it's between three players. Hazard, Sanchez and Aguero.

Sanchez is guaranteed a one month injury which will put him out of form so it's between Hazard and Aguero imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but anyone who has watched the PL this season knows that it's Aguero, so...

ReputationRep:
    Anyway looks like it's between three players. Hazard, Sanchez and Aguero.

Sanchez is guaranteed a one month injury which will put him out of form so it's between Hazard and Aguero imo.
    And Fabregas, who is a far better player than Hazard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pane123)
    He really isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    He really isn't.
    It's not really up for debate but try your best at telling me why he isn't.

ReputationRep:
    It's not really up for debate but try your best at telling me why he isn't.
    You made the claim, it's up to you to argue why first.

Aren't you the guy who was claiming Willian was better than Hazard last season too? :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Still laughing at Mertesacker getting a vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nickini)
    You made the claim, it's up to you to argue why first.

Aren't you the guy who was claiming Willian was better than Hazard last season too? :lol:
    No, I stated as fact that Willian was more important to Chelsea last season than Hazard.

Hazard is very good but he's hugely overrated and is nowhere near the best players in the world, although he's young enough for that to change. People on TSR seemed to be wetting themselves over his performances last year, despite them being far from special.

What does Hazard do very well? Dribbling. That's it.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how quickly these things can change.

Aguero for me is still the best in the league though. Sanchez, Di Maria, Costa and Silva probably complete the top5. So 4/5 are South American and the other is a Spaniard...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Funny how quickly these things can change.

Aguero for me is still the best in the league though. Sanchez, Di Maria, Costa and Silva probably complete the top5. So 4/5 are South American and the other is a Spaniard...
    We'll have to wait till the end of the season but I will be very surprised if any midfielder is better than Fabregas. His 2009-10 season for Arsenal was the blueprint of what you want from a midfielder and I think he'll get close to that level this year.

Guys like Silva are incredible players but Cesc is just that bit better. I think his lack of trophies at Arsenal, combined with his being played out of position for Barca, prevented people from realising just how good he is.

ReputationRep:
    We'll have to wait till the end of the season but I will be very surprised if any midfielder is better than Fabregas. His 2009-10 season for Arsenal was the blueprint of what you want from a midfielder and I think he'll get close to that level this year.

Guys like Silva are incredible players but Cesc is just that bit better. I think his lack of trophies at Arsenal, combined with his being played out of position for Barca, prevented people from realising just how good he is.
    Largely agree but Fabregas did not his those heights before or since really, his 2010/11 season at Arsenal was actually quite average for instance. I dont think Silva has ever hit the heights that he did at Arsenal though tbf.

Is Fabregas having that great a season though? Certainly getting the job done but I dont see him as really being that influential in games individually. Here and there perhaps. Fabregas' role at Chelsea is quite different to that at Arsenal in that he's playing deeper now and the system is no longer micro-managed for his benefit like Wenger did, so it's not exactly comparable really.

The suspicion with Fabregas as well is that he's not a big game presence. Didnt play well vs Utd or Liverpool and was average vs Arsenal. Didnt watch the City game.

In fairness, I always felt Fabregas was quite useful in big games at Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no just no.

ReputationRep:
    Lol no just no.
    What do you think he excels at? As I said to the other guy, it's dribbling and that's about it. I do think he's a very good player but your love for him is quite odd.

He was the 4th best dribbler in the league last year, which is no surprise. He was the 8th best key passer, which isn't really a surprise. What is surprising is how crap he is at everything else a player like him should be good at.

Despite providing plenty of key passes, he provided only 0.22 assist per 90 minutes, making him the 39th ranked assister in the league last year. Maybe we can give him the benefit of doubt due to the lack of quality strikers at Chelsea last year, so let's move on.

OK, he scored a lot of goals, but, combine this with his assists, and his goal contribution was 0.53 per 90 minutes. To put that into perspective, he was the 38th best contributor of goals in the EPL last year. Midfielders with these kind of stats tend to be found at mid to lower table clubs.

I must also point out that his goal scoring exploits were made to look much better than they actually were thanks to penalties. Looking at only non-penalty goals, Hazard scored 0.31 per 90, placing him 36th in the league. Not too surprising for a player who managed only 2.27 shots per 90 mins (63rd in the league), is it?

Big data has changed the way we analyse football and Hazard isn't as good as you think he is. Maybe his dribbling makes him look better than he is. Maybe you fancy him. Or maybe you base all your football knowledge on this:
    Attached Images

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.