The Student Room Group

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
Original post by Dr DaMan
You're way, way off the mark.

He's not, but he's not considering how many varieties of accountants there are. The numbers he has quoted are pretty much exactly accurate for a big firm in London (bear in mind the big 4 alone take 2,000 grads in London per year).
Reply 141
Original post by tengentoppa
But the problem is that it's difficult to earn more than 50K before the age of 30, unless you live in London. That's where most of the top jobs are.

Difficult, but £50k by 30 is difficult anywhere. Doesn't make it impossible, I got to £49,400 before hitting 29.
If it isn't medicine/related careers, then the uni you go to matters more than the subject you take.
Reply 143
Original post by Alludeen1
Really depends on the individual, not the degree course, but of course with some degrees there is a general trend. Ie medics generally become doctors and make quite a bit (after many years of slogging) and top engineers/lawyers/economists tend to do quite well. But many well-paid jobs don't require a particular degree and you don't have to go straight into a typical profession, there's always creating your own business using skills and contacts you've accumulated, although of course loads of businesses don't make it. It also depends on the uni you've came from because of a) prestige and b) general academic ability (but if you're a genius with no social skills you're unlikely to make a lot of money in a job which requires social interaction).

Oh my days mate you really have NO idea, this is completely WRONG!!!
Reply 144
Original post by Asfoi

Could you elaborate...?

Sounded pretty sensible to me.
Reply 145
How much do lawyers get paid, especially new ones. What do you have to study at GCSE, Alevel and Balalallalal
Original post by SK7866
How much do lawyers get paid, especially new ones. What do you have to study at GCSE, Alevel and Balalallalal

Unless you get a training contract at a big firm, new lawyers get paid **** all. New barristers are even worse. Having said that the potential is huge and you could end up as a partner making a very decent wage.
Engineering.
Original post by Mike_123
If it isn't medicine/related careers, then the uni you go to matters more than the subject you take.

Engineering doesn't matter what uni you go to and many sciences.
Reply 149
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Unless you get a training contract at a big firm, new lawyers get paid **** all. New barristers are even worse. Having said that the potential is huge and you could end up as a partner making a very decent wage.

Difference between Barrister and Lawyer
Original post by SK7866
Difference between Barrister and Lawyer

A barrister is a type of lawyer that has gone through the bar. They are advocates for people being tried in specific types of courts where a solicitor won't have the jurisdiction to practise. You also get solicitor advocates that act similarly to barristers but again I don't think the talk on behalf of the client in a court room but will give legal advice to them and consult a barrister on what to say in court.

.......................... I think.

Edit: Did you mean pay wise lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
how about optometrists?they're eye doctors but they study optometry not medicine
Reply 152
yeah im sure engineers earn £50k at some point in their careers especially if they are chartered.
Reply 153
Original post by Quady
Difficult, but £50k by 30 is difficult anywhere. Doesn't make it impossible, I got to £49,400 before hitting 29.

Isn't 50k though is it? Should have tried harder :tongue:

Jokeeeeeeeeeeee, share your riches.

Original post by Asfoi

WHAT happened? You seem so extremely angry about what seemed like a generally OK post!

Original post by SK7866

Balalallalal? Is that a special time of prayer you have to do to actually get a law training contract?
Original post by anonymouspie227
Well if you get into the magic circle you'll earn loads. Or a us firm. Even at tc level.
(Law)
But loads don't actually get to that stage

The magic circle firms don't pay appreciably more than other good City firms at TC level. At partner level, granted!
Original post by Last Day Lepers
A barrister is a type of lawyer that has gone through the bar. They are advocates for people being tried in specific types of courts where a solicitor won't have the jurisdiction to practise. You also get solicitor advocates that act similarly to barristers but again I don't think the talk on behalf of the client in a court room but will give legal advice to them and consult a barrister on what to say in court.

.......................... I think.

Edit: Did you mean pay wise lol.

Solicitor advocates can represent their clients in court. Fairly senior courts as well, as they have higher rights of audience.

Solicitors can also represent their clients in court, but only the lower courts.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TurboCretin
Solicitor advocates can represent their clients in court. Fairly senior courts as well, as they have higher rights of audience.

I never said they couldn't represent their clients in court, I said they don't have the same jurisdiction to represent clients in certain courts. But I don't really know exactly tbh.
(edited 9 years ago)
Can I ask something?

How much do forensic scientists earn a year? I ask this because I am thinking of becoming one if I can.
Reply 158
Original post by M1011
Isn't 50k though is it? Should have tried harder :tongue:

Jokeeeeeeeeeeee, share your riches

ex bonus, and I've a few months left to get across that line anyway.
I did engineering and after working for a year as a management consultant, now make 40k+

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending