Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which graduates are most likely to make 50k+ in their careers? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr DaMan)
    You're way, way off the mark.
    He's not, but he's not considering how many varieties of accountants there are. The numbers he has quoted are pretty much exactly accurate for a big firm in London (bear in mind the big 4 alone take 2,000 grads in London per year).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tengentoppa)
    But the problem is that it's difficult to earn more than 50K before the age of 30, unless you live in London. That's where most of the top jobs are.
    Difficult, but £50k by 30 is difficult anywhere. Doesn't make it impossible, I got to £49,400 before hitting 29.

ReputationRep:
    If it isn't medicine/related careers, then the uni you go to matters more than the subject you take.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alludeen1)
    Really depends on the individual, not the degree course, but of course with some degrees there is a general trend. Ie medics generally become doctors and make quite a bit (after many years of slogging) and top engineers/lawyers/economists tend to do quite well. But many well-paid jobs don't require a particular degree and you don't have to go straight into a typical profession, there's always creating your own business using skills and contacts you've accumulated, although of course loads of businesses don't make it. It also depends on the uni you've came from because of a) prestige and b) general academic ability (but if you're a genius with no social skills you're unlikely to make a lot of money in a job which requires social interaction).
    Oh my days mate you really have NO idea, this is completely WRONG!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asfoi)
    Could you elaborate...?

Sounded pretty sensible to me.

ReputationRep:
    How much do lawyers get paid, especially new ones. What do you have to study at GCSE, Alevel and Balalallalal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK7866)
    How much do lawyers get paid, especially new ones. What do you have to study at GCSE, Alevel and Balalallalal
    Unless you get a training contract at a big firm, new lawyers get paid **** all. New barristers are even worse. Having said that the potential is huge and you could end up as a partner making a very decent wage.

ReputationRep:
    Engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mike_123)
    If it isn't medicine/related careers, then the uni you go to matters more than the subject you take.
    Engineering doesn't matter what uni you go to and many sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    Unless you get a training contract at a big firm, new lawyers get paid **** all. New barristers are even worse. Having said that the potential is huge and you could end up as a partner making a very decent wage.
    Difference between Barrister and Lawyer

ReputationRep:
    Difference between Barrister and Lawyer

A barrister is a type of lawyer that has gone through the bar. They are advocates for people being tried in specific types of courts where a solicitor won't have the jurisdiction to practise. You also get solicitor advocates that act similarly to barristers but again I don't think the talk on behalf of the client in a court room but will give legal advice to them and consult a barrister on what to say in court.

.......................... I think.

Edit: Did you mean pay wise lol.

ReputationRep:
    how about optometrists?they're eye doctors but they study optometry not medicine

ReputationRep:
    yeah im sure engineers earn £50k at some point in their careers especially if they are chartered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Difficult, but £50k by 30 is difficult anywhere. Doesn't make it impossible, I got to £49,400 before hitting 29.
    Isn't 50k though is it? Should have tried harder

Jokeeeeeeeeeeee, share your riches.

(Original post by Asfoi)
    WHAT happened? You seem so extremely angry about what seemed like a generally OK post!

Balalallalal? Is that a special time of prayer you have to do to actually get a law training contract?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouspie227)
    Well if you get into the magic circle you'll earn loads. Or a us firm. Even at tc level.
    (Law)
    But loads don't actually get to that stage
    The magic circle firms don't pay appreciably more than other good City firms at TC level. At partner level, granted!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Last Day Lepers)
    A barrister is a type of lawyer that has gone through the bar. They are advocates for people being tried in specific types of courts where a solicitor won't have the jurisdiction to practise. You also get solicitor advocates that act similarly to barristers but again I don't think the talk on behalf of the client in a court room but will give legal advice to them and consult a barrister on what to say in court.

.......................... I think.

Edit: Did you mean pay wise lol.
    Solicitor advocates can represent their clients in court. Fairly senior courts as well, as they have higher rights of audience.

Solicitors can also represent their clients in court, but only the lower courts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TurboCretin)
    Solicitor advocates can represent their clients in court. Fairly senior courts as well, as they have higher rights of audience.

I never said they couldn't represent their clients in court, I said they don't have the same jurisdiction to represent clients in certain courts. But I don't really know exactly tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask something?

How much do forensic scientists earn a year? I ask this because I am thinking of becoming one if I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Isn't 50k though is it? Should have tried harder

Jokeeeeeeeeeeee, share your riches
    ex bonus, and I've a few months left to get across that line anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I did engineering and after working for a year as a management consultant, now make 40k+

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.