Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Lavender lifts some stuff up Watch

ReputationRep:
    Squats 65kg 5x5 sloppy. I'm so used to doing them in front of a mirror I keep getting under the bar unevenly and have to have about 3 false starts with each set. Wore me out!

Deadlifts

70kg 1x5
    80kg 1x3
    90kg 1x2
    95kg (pb) 1, fail, 1

I was determined to get that second rep of 95kg. I psyched myself out the second time and literally couldn't even get the weight off the ground. I realised just how much strength is a mental thing.

Didn't even do OHP. Oops

Assisted pull ups/dips 3x5

ReputationRep:
    Can you not get somebody at the gym to centre you? It takes them two seconds and they would have to be a real cucking funt to say no. I always get under the bar unevenly (despite squatting in front of a mirror) and I get somebody to centre me on heavier sets so I don't F-up.

Congrats on the deadlift PB.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's worth getting someone to help, I'd say just practice because it shouldn't be that hard to sort. Pay attention to where you put your hands, don't move them as you go under, squeeze your back tight as possible and there should be almost no way you end up squint

ReputationRep:
    Squats 3x5 65kg
    3x3 70kg

Dumbell bench 3x5 20kg

Row 3x5 35kg

Im aware I'm coasting. I've been so busy with work and cos it's so close to Christmas I've not been able to get into a decent routine with the gym. Hopefully things will settle into a pattern in the new year. Happy to be maintaining my lifts for now.

ReputationRep:
    Coasting is much better than no gym. Keep your time up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Squats 3x5 60kg
    2x5 65kg
    1x5 67.5kg
    3x5 70kg

Deadlifts 1x5 60kg
    1x3 80kg
    5x1 90kg
    1x 95kg

Think I was rounding my back too much. Also for some reason one of my fingers kept getting caught on my leggings every single time which put me off. I think I might have been able to go for 100 but I didn't want to hurt myself.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    How can your fingers get caught on your leggings?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack;5249086s9)
    How can your fingers get caught on your leggings?
    God knows. They have a seam that crosses the front, must have been on that as I pulled the bar up my legs. Strange.

ReputationRep:
    Went again today for a quick session while I'm still home for Christmas.

OHP 3x5 20kg
    Bench press 3x5 30kg

Split squats 3x10 20kg
    Hip thrusts 3x10 20kg

Barbell curls 3x8 15kg

Assisted pull ups and dips 3x5

Bit of a random session but feel better for it.

ReputationRep:
    A month since I last posted? Where does the time go! Just to let you know I'm still lifting, trying to go twice a week minimum, I just don't really come on here much anymore and don't see the point in updating every single workout. Might just post if I get a PB or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    A month since I last posted? Where does the time go! Just to let you know I'm still lifting, trying to go twice a week minimum, I just don't really come on here much anymore and don't see the point in updating every single workout. Might just post if I get a PB or something.
    Are you keeping a permanent log somewhere?

Even if it's not here it's useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Still here. Still lifting.

Things have done down the pan a bit because I've had a series of health issues which have meant taking weeks off at a time. I now have plantar fasciitis..... Yay...

My squat form is better but I've slid right down to the 50s to maintain it. Deadlifts are the bane of my life, I bruise my shins every time. Bench press and rows have remained the same and I'm doing a lot more accessory stuff and resistance band work for when I can't get to the gym.

Ill get there one day!

ReputationRep:
    Still here. Still lifting.

Things have done down the pan a bit because I've had a series of health issues which have meant taking weeks off at a time. I now have plantar fasciitis..... Yay...

My squat form is better but I've slid right down to the 50s to maintain it. Deadlifts are the bane of my life, I bruise my shins every time. Bench press and rows have remained the same and I'm doing a lot more accessory stuff and resistance band work for when I can't get to the gym.

Ill get there one day!
    Awesome news.

Got anyone to train with in real life to help with form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see you back? Ditto Motorbiker

How's the gym you're training at? I know one of the PTs in there; mass mutant lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    Awesome news.

Got anyone to train with in real life to help with form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope I'm a lone wolf

(Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Nice to see you back? Ditto Motorbiker

How's the gym you're training at? I know one of the PTs in there; mass mutant lol
    Haha he sounds terrifying! It's not ideal if I'm honest, it's always painfully crowded and even if I can get into the squat rack there's always about 4 or 5 guys behind me looking into the mirror curling.. And I get self conscious! It'll have to suffice for now, hoping to move somewhere else soon if I can get out of my contract.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Nope I'm a lone wolf

Haha he sounds terrifying! It's not ideal if I'm honest, it's always painfully crowded and even if I can get into the squat rack there's always about 4 or 5 guys behind me looking into the mirror curling.. And I get self conscious! It'll have to suffice for now, hoping to move somewhere else soon if I can get out of my contract.
    Aye I recommended the other gym in the PM I sent you a while ago. Just avoid peak times and you'll be all good for access. Proper lifters gym

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angry cucumber)
    Aye I recommended the other gym in the PM I sent you a while ago. Just avoid peak times and you'll be all good for access. Proper lifters gym
    I think I'd be laughed out the door at that other gym! Plus it's kind of impossible to go non-peak when you're working 8-5 Monday to Friday (and no I'm not prepared to get up at 5am- I have my limits!) When I have a car I will have a lot more freedom. There's a couple gyms I've had my eye on but I get the feeling that where I am now aren't going to let me leave my contract anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I think I'd be laughed out the door at that other gym! Plus it's kind of impossible to go non-peak when you're working 8-5 Monday to Friday (and no I'm not prepared to get up at 5am- I have my limits!) When I have a car I will have a lot more freedom. There's a couple gyms I've had my eye on but I get the feeling that where I am now aren't going to let me leave my contract anyway.
    Haha what I meant - was to avoid 5:30 Going at 7ish is better imo + traffic

You'd not be laughed out - everyones got to start somewhere

ReputationRep:
    Over a year since I posted - that's terrifying! Also terrifying is the fact that my main lifts haven't progressed much at all in that time frame.

I moved in February and now go to a fantastic lifting gym. Getting up most mornings before work. The only thing is, it sounds insane but I swear the bars at this gym are about 5kg heavier than other gyms - which set my lifts back a bit.

Currently

Squat - 65kg for 3 reps
    Deadlift - 90kg for 3 reps but can bash out 1 rep of 100kg in a good day

Bench - 30kg for 5 reps
    Overhead - 20kg for 5 reps, can do 25kg if I do a little clean and press to get some momentum behind it.

Trying to eat well, get enough protein. Still have a good amount of muscle mass, my back and shoulders are definitely bigger. My goal is to get back to my previous pb of 75kg squat by the end of July.

Edit: I forgot, one thing that has improved is more form. The video I posted a few years back I was barely hitting parallel, now I have to actively think to stop myself going TOO low.

ReputationRep:
    Could be the previous gym had smaller women's 15kg bars?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.