Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=BeeBuzz;48888737]
    (Original post by Dani04)

Haha lucky! i hope i did well in English lit gcse. I did the aqa exam board

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our school is edexcel mad. French is the only AQA and different one out them all! Haha, good luck with your results

ReputationRep:
    I really was content on having psychology as a fourth option but a lot of people have thrown me off the idea because a lot of posts I read really dislikes the subject psychology that's why I am so paranoid and unsure now about it. I kind of told a relative that and my grandad told me "everyone else's opinions doesn't matter because they're not you" however I feel I should be guided by them? Why would coincidentally a lot of people start saying how bad the topic is?
    Do you know what exam board your sixth form does? I didn't do psychology a level but according to a friend it's hard work but she enjoyed it. Also remember you can just take it to AS, work hard to get a good grade and then drop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PhoeenBanafrit)
    Do you know what exam board your sixth form does? I didn't do psychology a level but according to a friend it's hard work but she enjoyed it. Also remember you can just take it to AS, work hard to get a good grade and then drop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I am definitely dropping my fourth option after AS and our board is AQA for psychology

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406741518.905535.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  73.7 KB

This is the structure for AS psychology aqa specification A. Unit one is one paper and unit two is the other paper looks interesting can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are AS level grades 50% of your final A-level grades?
    If yes, Will this stay the same for the current AS students coming to college in Sep 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeeBuzz)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1406741518.905535.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  73.7 KB

This is the structure for AS psychology aqa specification A. Unit one is one paper and unit two is the other paper looks interesting can't wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is extremely interesting! I did AQA A psychology at AS and A2. Let me know if you have any questions!

ReputationRep:
    I really was content on having psychology as a fourth option but a lot of people have thrown me off the idea because a lot of posts I read really dislikes the subject psychology that's why I am so paranoid and unsure now about it. I kind of told a relative that and my grandad told me "everyone else's opinions doesn't matter because they're not you" however I feel I should be guided by them? Why would coincidentally a lot of people start saying how bad the topic is?
    I loved Psychology, and a majority of my class did too. Everyone hates it the day before the exam, but you curse every subject then because you're stressed and no one enjoys exams!

People who pick Psych expecting it to be easy and a doss end up hating it. People who pick it recognising it's a subject where you do work don't tend to... I know a lot of people who planned to drop it at AS and then ended up keeping it because they loved it so much :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakes)
    Are AS level grades 50% of your final A-level grades?
    If yes, Will this stay the same for the current AS students coming to college in Sep 2014?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Basically, yes. I believe the numbers are a bit different for maths, but for all of my subjects...

Your AS year is out of 200 UMS, 160 is an A, 140 B, 120 C and so on.
    Your A2 year is also out of 200 UMS with the same boundaries.

Your final qualification is therefore out of 400, where 320 is an A, 280 a B, 240 a C... but you could get 200/200 at AS and 121/200 at A2 and still get an A, or 200/200 at AS and 75/200 at A2 and get a C... so the numbers are more important than the letters really. It's different for A*s, I'll explain those if you would like?

As far as I know, this will be the same for AS '14 someone else might want to confirm, but I ~think~ it's the following September that it's changing?

ReputationRep:
    Hi.
    I have just finished my A Levels. I did Biology, Economics, Psychology and an AS in Chemistry.

I see a lot of people have probably answered all or most of your questions. If you have any more, concerning a particular area or subject. Drop me a question in my thread about my experience of A levels, and have a read of any already answered questions. You never know what new information you may learn and come across.

I wish you all the best!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2763052

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anny Smiles)
    Basically, yes. I believe the numbers are a bit different for maths, but for all of my subjects...

Your AS year is out of 200 UMS, 160 is an A, 140 B, 120 C and so on.
    Your A2 year is also out of 200 UMS with the same boundaries.

Your final qualification is therefore out of 400, where 320 is an A, 280 a B, 240 a C... but you could get 200/200 at AS and 121/200 at A2 and still get an A, or 200/200 at AS and 75/200 at A2 and get a C... so the numbers are more important than the letters really. It's different for A*s, I'll explain those if you would like?

As far as I know, this will be the same for AS '14 someone else might want to confirm, but I ~think~ it's the following September that it's changing?
    I know you weren't replying to my question, but could you explain the A*s. It confuses me quite a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlygiggle)
    I know you weren't replying to my question, but could you explain the A*s. It confuses me quite a bit...
    Happy to try

You cannot get an A* at AS, you cannot get an A* on an individual unit, the only time you get an A* is for the entire A Level...

Again, I know Math has different numbers for UMS so this might not work for Math in terms of numbers- it's more complex I think.

To get an A* for your entire A Level. Out of the 420 UMS, you must have a minimum of 320, which is an A, but you must also have 180 UMS at A2.

So Person A gets 200/200 UMS at AS, and gets 150/200 UMS at A2, so overall she has 350/400. That gets her an A, but because she didn't get 180 UMS at A2, she doesn't hit the A*.

Person B gets 140/200 at AS, but nails the A2 and gets 190/200 UMS... overall she has 330/400, which is less than Person A, but Person B will get an A*, because she meets both criteria- 320/400 overall, and 180/200 in her A2.

In that sense, your AS year isn't all that significant in getting an A*, although obviously it helps you get an A and is a really important foundation in terms of the knowledge you need to get an A*... you basically need to get 90% UMS on all of your A2 Units to get an A*, and provided you got at least a B [70%] at AS, getting 90% will average you out to get an A*.

You can get 90% at A2 by getting 85% on exam 1 and 95% on exam 2, though, as far as I'm aware!

I believe it's done that way because it then recognises people who work consistently through A2... people who scored very highly at AS would otherwise be able to work not-so-hard at A2 and get top grades [take our Person A who got 200/200, if the A* didn't exist, then Person A would only need a C at A2 to get an A overall], but this means they have to continue to demonstrate an exceptionally high standard to get that top grade.

This is a bit wordy, but I hope I've covered it so it's understandable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anny Smiles)
    Happy to try

You cannot get an A* at AS, you cannot get an A* on an individual unit, the only time you get an A* is for the entire A Level...

Again, I know Math has different numbers for UMS so this might not work for Math in terms of numbers- it's more complex I think.

To get an A* for your entire A Level. Out of the 420 UMS, you must have a minimum of 320, which is an A, but you must also have 180 UMS at A2.

So Person A gets 200/200 UMS at AS, and gets 150/200 UMS at A2, so overall she has 350/400. That gets her an A, but because she didn't get 180 UMS at A2, she doesn't hit the A*.

Person B gets 140/200 at AS, but nails the A2 and gets 190/200 UMS... overall she has 330/400, which is less than Person A, but Person B will get an A*, because she meets both criteria- 320/400 overall, and 180/200 in her A2.

In that sense, your AS year isn't all that significant in getting an A*, although obviously it helps you get an A and is a really important foundation in terms of the knowledge you need to get an A*... you basically need to get 90% UMS on all of your A2 Units to get an A*, and provided you got at least a B [70%] at AS, getting 90% will average you out to get an A*.

You can get 90% at A2 by getting 85% on exam 1 and 95% on exam 2, though, as far as I'm aware!

I believe it's done that way because it then recognises people who work consistently through A2... people who scored very highly at AS would otherwise be able to work not-so-hard at A2 and get top grades [take our Person A who got 200/200, if the A* didn't exist, then Person A would only need a C at A2 to get an A overall], but this means they have to continue to demonstrate an exceptionally high standard to get that top grade.

This is a bit wordy, but I hope I've covered it so it's understandable?
    That explains it very well, thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.