Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novascope)
    I only said that because it's a creative course. You should be able to understand that. Universites are more willing to consider people who don't meet grades onto a creative course because with a creative course, what matters more is talent and experience, not being able to recite the periodic table for example. So that's why I said what I said because even if I got a grade lower, I could still probably get in. Not trying to say I'm great or anything like that.
    If, by "creative", you mean a degree in the Arts, I'm not sure that's true (then again I could very well be wrong), could you provide some evidence for that claim?

I think you'll find talent in the subject matters just as much on a STEM course as on an Arts course (some, I'm sure, would argue it matters more). In addition, you seem to believe that degrees in the Sciences aren't creative, which is nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    What about people at king's college or ucl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphorie)
    How is Manchester guys?
    When it comes to the rah population in Northern universities, I would say this order explains it:

Durham - rahtastic
    Newcastle - very rah
    Leeds - considerably rah
    Manchester - more than incidentally rah
    York - slightly rah
    Sheffield - not very rah
    Liverpool - not a rah in sight
    Lancaster/Leicester - see above

My interpretation of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrangeBanana)
    If, by "creative", you mean a degree in the Arts, I'm not sure that's true (then again I could very well be wrong), could you provide some evidence for that claim?

I think you'll find talent in the subject matters just as much on a STEM course as on an Arts course (some, I'm sure, would argue it matters more). In addition, you seem to believe that degrees in the Sciences aren't creative, which is nonsense.
    When did I say Science courses aren't creative :/

My evidence is having personal experience myself (being told in interviews/taster days etc by lecturers from different unis) and knowing people who are at uni now doing a creative subject. But it is true in some cases that they'd be more willing and considerate of someone who gets a grade lower for example, but shows a great deal of talent and experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by euphorie)
    Where is that, if I may ask?
    Manchester innit, most of them are from down south.

ReputationRep:
    wow I'm surprised about Newcastle. Never thought it'd be rah central.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilygal)
    When it comes to the rah population in Northern universities, I would say this order explains it:

Durham - rahtastic
    Newcastle - very rah
    Leeds - considerably rah
    Manchester - more than incidentally rah
    York - slightly rah
    Sheffield - not very rah
    Liverpool - not a rah in sight
    Lancaster/Leicester - see above

My interpretation of things.
    How do you derive your index of rahnosity? I am assuming you mean mainly accent? Or are you thinking 'private school'?

Accents vary across the country and one person's posh is another's lower class.

ReputationRep:
    OK, to develop a proper Index of Rahness, we need to consider and then weight the various elements of what goes in to Rah... (incidentally, this is sounding like some kind of essay on Egyptology.)

The obvious ones.

Attended public school?
    Attended private school?
    Comes from an upmarket part of London?
    Parent(s) are doctors/lawyers/brokers, etc?

More debatable.

Accent - home counties - vs - regional/provincial accents.
    Clothing - the usual things like uggs, JW, etc.
    Demeanour - tendency to party rather than work, lots of spare time/cash, laid back attitude. (Some of these could also be symptoms of having worked in well paid jobs, laziness or just that being at university was a mistake.)
    Attitude to the lower orders - presumably condescension, loftiness or other forms of aloof arrogant pretension are strong indicators.

Please weight these elements to produce your own unique RI (Rah Index) for future use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    OK, to develop a proper Index of Rahness, we need to consider and then weight the various elements of what goes in to Rah... (incidentally, this is sounding like some kind of essay on Egyptology.)

The obvious ones.

Attended public school?
    Attended private school?
    Comes from an upmarket part of London?
    Parent(s) are doctors/lawyers/brokers, etc?

More debatable.

Accent - home counties - vs - regional/provincial accents.
    Clothing - the usual things like uggs, JW, etc.
    Demeanour - tendency to party rather than work, lots of spare time/cash, laid back attitude. (Some of these could also be symptoms of having worked in well paid jobs, laziness or just that being at university was a mistake.)
    Attitude to the lower orders - presumably condescension, loftiness or other forms of aloof arrogant pretension are strong indicators.

Please weight these elements to produce your own unique RI (Rah Index) for future use.
    Party-going and relaxed as a result of knowing (and obviously being) financially stable, with a sweet inheritance waiting for them, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tai Ga)
    wow I'm surprised about Newcastle. Never thought it'd be rah central.
    Why? It's been rah central for years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    How do you derive your index of rahnosity? I am assuming you mean mainly accent? Or are you thinking 'private school'?

Accents vary across the country and one person's posh is another's lower class.
    I mean people from what are considered to be "posher" parts of the UK who have what can be deemed as a posh accent and come from privilege homes which usually includes being privately educated; so anything in the upper ends of the middle-classes and higher. I'm just going by my experiences with these universities: for Durham and Newcastle I went to open day and post-offer days and from them I can surmise that Durham is rahtastic and Newcastle is very rah, with Leeds and Manchester I haven't actually been but I know lots of people going and know the reputation they has in general for being considerably rah and more than incidentally rah retrospectively and going by reputation and "research" for my judgment of the others. I found Durham to be in a rah category of its own and Newcastle to be much more full of the rah types than UCL was. Edinburgh had a fair few too, probably about the same population of them as Newcastle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Party-going and relaxed as a result of knowing (and obviously being) financially stable, with a sweet inheritance waiting for them, right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess the key thing would be having more cash as a student.

These discussions are so stereotyped though, in reality you often can't tell how a person is going to be to know just from their accent, clothes or perceived wealth.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford, St Andrews and Bristol apparently : http://tab.co.uk/2014/03/31/revealed...ated-students/

ReputationRep:
    brunel.

full of them cants

ReputationRep:
    Known in Bristol as Okay-Yahs. They talk in Very Loud Voices in the Arts Library on Their Mobiles and say things like 'Y'know I really do need a break so Sebastian is taking me to Klosters for the weekend' and they wear posh clothes that they think are grunge but make them stand out a mile. And they are often spectacularly rude to to anyone they consider Hired Help (Uni catering workers) or People like Daddy's PA (University Admin staff). They do washing-up under a running tap because they aren't paying the bills and there is is no dishwasher or Filipino maid, and they Swish Their Hair Alot to get noticed by Tutors. Oh yes, and the have very silly double barrelled surnames or just very silly names - like Merlin Thundersby-Folkestone or Hector Myles Espadrille.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    Well I went to a school called Charterhouse and it wasn't a college, it was an all-through school. Who is this person you know?
    Charterhouse? No wonder you're asking silly questions on online forums. I've thrashed a few Charty boys round the rugby pitch, you're not up to much.
    Seriously though, why ask a bunch of lefty knowitalls on TSR when you could just look to see where your peers go to university. From my place (eminently more prestigious than yours) we send most to all the traditional places mentioned above: Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, St Andrews etc etc. All the thickies go to Oxford Brookes, UWE, Bath Spa or Cirencester.
    It's interesting to see where different types of people go. Those that want to be seen as posh go to Exeter, those with social aspirations (for marriage) go to St Andrews. Those that want to break away from the stereotype go to somewhere like Warwick or York. Those on the outside see public school pupils and think they're all the same and populate the same friendship groups and universities. But we even have stereotypes within stereotypes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tes1996)
    Charterhouse? No wonder you're asking silly questions on online forums. I've thrashed a few Charty boys round the rugby pitch, you're not up to much.
    Seriously though, why ask a bunch of lefty knowitalls on TSR when you could just look to see where your peers go to university. From my place (eminently more prestigious than yours) we send most to all the traditional places mentioned above: Oxbridge, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh, Exeter, St Andrews etc etc. All the thickies go to Oxford Brookes, UWE, Bath Spa or Cirencester.
    It's interesting to see where different types of people go. Those that want to be seen as posh go to Exeter, those with social aspirations (for marriage) go to St Andrews. Those that want to break away from the stereotype go to somewhere like Warwick or York. Those on the outside see public school pupils and think they're all the same and populate the same friendship groups and universities. But we even have stereotypes within stereotypes.
    What's a silly question to you is a legitimate wondering to others. Ah you're a public school rugby boy? Enjoy that closet for hiding in? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Because I want other people's opinions, not just people from my school - we send most people to Leeds/ Newcastle/ Edinburgh/Bristol... Noticed you didn't mention Newcastle or Leeds? They're the most common ones people in our school apply to in general. Eminently more prestigious than my school? Which school would this be? I have mates that go to schools more "prestigious" than mine and they don't brag about it like ass****s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabriel96)
    What's a silly question to you is a legitimate wondering to others. Ah you're a public school rugby boy? Enjoy that closet for hiding in? Sorry, I couldn't resist. Because I want other people's opinions, not just people from my school - we send most people to Leeds/ Newcastle/ Edinburgh/Bristol... Noticed you didn't mention Newcastle or Leeds? They're the most common ones people in our school apply to in general. Eminently more prestigious than my school? Which school would this be? I have mates that go to schools more "prestigious" than mine and they don't brag about it like ass****s.
    I was, of course, joking and trying to provoke you. Which I managed. Sorry for bragging, I have a massive inferiority complex stemming from my largely Etonian family and need to get the superiority when I can.
    We send a lot to Leeds, surprisingly not so many to Newcastle. Not particularly sure why this is. However, out of the 20 or so Harrovians that I know of university age, 12 of them are/have been at Newcastle- I think the school must have links.
    Generally from my experience, the serious ones who want to remain in their public school bubbles go to Durham/St Andrews etc, and the ones wanting to live a little, engage in drug abuse and squire many a wench go to a northern city (Leeds, Manchester, NEwcastle)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tes1996)
    I was, of course, joking and trying to provoke you. Which I managed. Sorry for bragging, I have a massive inferiority complex stemming from my largely Etonian family and need to get the superiority when I can.
    We send a lot to Leeds, surprisingly not so many to Newcastle. Not particularly sure why this is. However, out of the 20 or so Harrovians that I know of university age, 12 of them are/have been at Newcastle- I think the school must have links.
    Generally from my experience, the serious ones who want to remain in their public school bubbles go to Durham/St Andrews etc, and the ones wanting to live a little, engage in drug abuse and squire many a wench go to a northern city (Leeds, Manchester, NEwcastle)
    Harrovians? As in Harrow School, yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Harrovians? As in Harrow School, yes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.