Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    I am!

Less so now than I was(at least the more physical sports) all the travelling was done when I was competing internationally at TKD.
    Well I shall assume you could drop kick me in a second

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoaPowder)
    I forgot to add: the area we live in is really middle class and hence the local primary and high school. At the high school, there is an activity week at the end of the summer term where there are lots of different school trips to different places. These were too expensive so i ended up doing in school activities which was basically still going to school whilst everyone was in france, london, austria, Spain or other paid activities within the city. My brother was only able to go to primary school camp trip because the school paid for him.

On the contrary, i went back to my country of origin recently for a holiday, and despite the bad financial times thay we had, i now appreciate that i had it so good compared with some of the people and relatives i met. I learnt that my phone is worth more than what my auntie gets as her monthly salary and the money my phone is worth could pay 2 month's rent for another auntie. The £3 i spend on a subway is enough to feed a family for a day
    Oh wow, it really is crazy how different everyone's lives are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    uni was the worst for me, as people then knew I was well off. Clubbing was a nightmare aha. I think living in Knightsbridge probably didn't help either.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
    I posted on the previous page as well, this was meant to be an edit, but it didn't edit.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be embarrased to invite my friends over to my house as theirs looked amazing in comparison.

We had to get rid of the car a few years ago because it was too expensive for my dad to constantly pay MOT (is that's what it's called?)

My mum lost her job a year ago so we were only getting income from my dad which is fine, but we rely on him.

I don't like to ask for money to buy clothes or anything that is considered a luxury.

Christmas and friends bragging about how they got the latest iPhone and stuff like that.

ReputationRep:
    I posted on the previous page as well, this was meant to be an edit, but it didn't edit.
    no I saw that but why did it make uni and clubbing hard?

ReputationRep:
    Well I shall assume you could drop kick me in a second
    Considering your a girl who is "small"

Probably
    Though I haven't actually practised TKD in about two years, and my fitness is just non-existent at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I'd be embarrased to invite my friends over to my house as theirs looked amazing in comparison.

We had to get rid of the car a few years ago because it was too expensive for my dad to constantly pay MOT (is that's what it's called?)

My mum lost her job a year ago so we were only getting income from my dad which is fine, but we rely on him.

I don't like to ask for money to buy clothes or anything that is considered a luxury.

Christmas and friends bragging about how they got the latest iPhone and stuff like that.
    Yeah I understand all of those points, hope things look up for you soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ndella)
    I bit the bullet and just let them in.

My friends' houses now are literally castles.

I'm not poor though in the sense of the word, I'm not well off. I'm in a good enough position tbf, can't complain at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    Considering your a girl who is "small"

Probably
    Though I haven't actually practised TKD in about two years, and my fitness is just non-existent at the moment.
    Hey I'm feisty for my size :')

ReputationRep:
    no I saw that but why did it make uni and clubbing hard?
    Oh, because people always expected me to pay for everything because I could. And so in clubs everyone would just follow me and act all friendly. It made it difficult to tell who was really a friend, and who was only pretending to be my friend for money.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow, it really is crazy how different everyone's lives are
    Yeah it's pretty insane.i really like this thread because i gives everyone a perspective of different people's lives.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, because people always expected me to pay for everything because I could. And so in clubs everyone would just follow me and act all friendly. It made it difficult to tell who was really a friend, and who was only pretending to be my friend for money.
    Ah that's ****, people should never expect that. It's down right rude.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna sound like a real spoilt ******** for saying this, but growing up I didn't really take much notice of my parents' financial situation, and thought everything I had was normal, as the people I was surrounded with were just like me. The first time I realised 'wow, we're well off' was admittedly only a few years ago, and was when my dad was telling me and my brothers off for complaining about having to tidy the table and he said: "I pay over £60,000 a year for all four of your school fees, we have 3 cars, 2 houses in England and a house abroad, I take you on fancy holidays costing in excess of £20,000, your mother doesn't have to work and can stay at home to look after you. Don't be ungrateful".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CocoaPowder)
    Yeah it's pretty insane.i really like this thread because i gives everyone a perspective of different people's lives.
    hehe I'm glad people like my thread :cool:

ReputationRep:
    - when we had to move to italy because we couldn't pay the rent on our house
    - when we ran out of money in italy and had to sleep in the car on christmas eve
    - having 2 breadsticks to eat on Christmas day and nothing else (still in italy)
    - being eligible for a 100% bursary at a private school
    - when primark is expensive

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone have a "wow we're average" moment? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    when me and mum used to share clothes :/
    but things improved eventually

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand all of those points, hope things look up for you soon
    Thank you Things are much better now as my mum has taken up childcare, plus she's paid pretty good. Though we still try not to buy things we don't actually need which is fine by me as I'm hardly picky

ReputationRep:
    When i realised that although my parents have 6 kids,they could afford to send us to private schools,take us on holidays and kind of spoil us

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.