Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is genius almost exclusively male? Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's an interesting question.

If you look at the realm of art, culture and music...you'd have to say the vast majority of 'genius' was exhibited by males.

(Original post by Ben_Dover)
      What are you on about? Have you not been taught how to put down your thoughts coherently?
      Government education, couldnt afford private.

ReputationRep:
      http://www.economist.com/news/scienc...ls-are-not-far

ReputationRep:
      Men evolved to think more systematically, since they would have been hunters and would have spent time navigating etc. Women would have spent time rearing children and nurturing therefore they tend to have better empathising skills and sociability.
      Both these two activities stimulate different regions of the brain, resulting in different patterns of thinking among men and women. This is why why women are generally said to be more artistic and creative. Whereas men are more logical and rational.
      This is *generally* why men tend to excel at the maths and sciences (systematising subjects) whereas women tend to excel in the arts.

This by no mean means that women cannot be good at maths or men cannot be creative. It just means that men and women are predisposed to be better in different things.

ReputationRep:
      About as much as retardation is exclusively male!

More males are spread across the extreme ends of the spectrum. More are genius, more are retards. But you still get female genius and female retards.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kprime2)
      Men evolved to think more systematically, since they would have been hunters and would have spent time navigating etc. Women would have spent time rearing children and nurturing therefore they tend to have better empathising skills and sociability.
      Both these two activities stimulate different regions of the brain, resulting in different patterns of thinking among men and women. This is why why women are generally said to be more artistic and creative. Whereas men are more logical and rational.
      This is *generally* why men tend to excel at the maths and sciences (systematising subjects) whereas women tend to excel in the arts.

This by no mean means that women cannot be good at maths or men cannot be creative. It just means that men and women are predisposed to be better in different things.

Rubbish pseudo-psychology!
      You clearly don't know a thing you're taking about. Nothing annoys me more than people spouting little theories from their own heads!

Males are not better at maths than women. There are just more male geniuses at maths. But like I said, there are also more males who are retarded at maths. By your logic, males are also better, and worse at maths than females.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Twinpeaks)
      Rubbish pseudo-psychology!
      You clearly don't know a thing you're taking about. Nothing annoys me more than people spouting little theories from their own heads!

Males are not better at maths than women. There are just more male geniuses at maths. But like I said, there are also more males who are retarded at maths. By your logic, males are also better, and worse at maths than females.
      You clearly missed the whole basis of what I said. I'm not sure if you have an understanding of how evolution works.

I said evolution only predisposes you, it by no means determines your behaviour exclusively. There are literally hundreds of studies which have shown that women are more artistic and creative than men, while men are more logical. Mensa's stats have shown that men have generally performed better in IQ tests than women too.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
      Some women:

We have historically been repressed and are still yet to make advancements in industry and science.
      Give us a chance.
      Did you know men are also more stupid than women as well as being more smart?
      We have to have babies and sacrifice our careers.

Some men:

We are superior intellectually, we have more genius' than women but also more complete morons.
      We are biologically more suited to areas of competition and innovation.
      Women are better at feeling things and...doing jigsaws.

Me:

Move on. Find something else to post about.
      Would rep but I've run out for today

Mo

ReputationRep:
      You clearly missed the whole basis of what I said. I'm not sure if you have an understanding of how evolution works.

I said evolution only predisposes you, it by no means determines your behaviour exclusively. There are literally hundreds of studies which have shown that women are more artistic and creative than men, while men are more logical. Mensa's stats have shown that men have generally performed better in IQ tests than women too.

I clearly do know how evolution works. And as a psychology and neuroscience student I can tell you that you massively over-emphasise the influence of our evolutionary environments on whether women are more creative and men are more logical :rolleyes:

And actually, no there is not an abundance of research which suggests that females are more "creative" than men. At first, define creativity.

No, men do not perform better in IQ tests than women.

ReputationRep:
      I clearly do know how evolution works. And as a psychology and neuroscience student I can tell you that you massively over-emphasise the influence of our evolutionary environments on whether women are more creative and men are more logical :rolleyes:

And actually, no there is not an abundance of research which suggests that females are more "creative" than men. At first, define creativity.

Presumably you're a female also.

ReputationRep:

''There is a mean difference of about five IQ points. The further you go up the distribution the more and more skewed it becomes. There are twice as many men with an IQ of 120-plus as there are women, there are 30 times the number of men with an IQ of 170-plus as there are women.''

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...us-426321.html

As for the OP, yes, almost all geniuses are men, look at the world around you even in 2015. It's not just IQ though, it's also testosterone and the male drive, the single mindedness, the desire to understand how things work, the autism/aspie factor many incredibly smart people have that is far more prevalent in men than women ... And it's not just inventors or scientists, this also applies to fields like philosophy, composing music, painting etc.. there are no great female philosophers or artists. Ayn Rand is the best women could come up with lol.

Men are the extreme sex. A very smart woman nailed it a long time ago : ''There is no female Mozart because there is no female Jack the Ripper''. When's the last time you heard a divine symphony composed by a woman or heard about a school shooting done by a female student? Exactly never.

ReputationRep:
      Yeah, and you're a c.unt.
      showing your emotional side, are we?

ReputationRep:
      I don't think I need to be feeling a particularly strong emotion in order to make a basic observation.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Hitchsslap)
      ''There is a mean difference of about five IQ points. The further you go up the distribution the more and more skewed it becomes. There are twice as many men with an IQ of 120-plus as there are women, there are 30 times the number of men with an IQ of 170-plus as there are women.''

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/ed...us-426321.html
      You show me one article illustrating a higher IQ in males? I can easily do the same for women-

A more recent article illustrating this 'gap' has closed, and women are even outperforming men in IQ.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-than-men.html.
      I think this argument is petty and futile anyway, a lot of psychologists don't consider IQ test a valid test of intelligence. The word 'intelligence' alone is so hard to determine, and even if you do define intelligence, too many factors are at play.

ReputationRep:
      You show me one article illustrating a higher IQ in males? I can easily do the same for women-

A more recent article illustrating this 'gap' has closed, and women are even outperforming men in IQ.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-than-men.html.
      I think this argument is petty and futile anyway, a lot of psychologists don't consider IQ test a valid test of intelligence. The word 'intelligence' alone is so hard to determine, and even if you do define intelligence, too many factors are at play.

However, Flynn announced that the media had seriously distorted his results and went beyond his claims, revealing that he had instead discovered that the differences between men and women on one particular test, the Raven's Progressive Matrices, had become minimal in five modernised nations (whereas before 1982 women had scored significantly lower).
      How about no? So try again, darling. Also :

1. It didn't mention anything about the high end IQ's and gender distribution.
      2. As I said, IQ is not the only factor in being a ''genius''.
      3. Flynn is a world renowned social justice warrior.

Find a psychology professor in your uni who isn't a fembot or a PC marxist zombie and they'll confirm that men have far more extreme IQ's at both ends of the curve while women are far more likely to score average. It's not exactly secret knowledge buried deep in the Vatican library (although many would like it to be). IQ has a very high correlation to general life outcome, educational and professional achievement. I know you'd like to think that everyone is born a perfect little blank slate special snowflake but the reality isn't as comfy and cute.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-est...college-major/

http://www.businessinsider.com/facts...q-2011-11?op=1

ReputationRep:
      How about no? So try again, darling. Also :

1. It didn't mention anything about the high end IQ's and gender distribution.
      2. As I said, IQ is not the only factor in being a ''genius''.
      3. Flynn is a world renowned social justice warrior.

Find a psychology professor in your uni who isn't a fembot or a PC marxist zombie and they'll confirm that men have far more extreme IQ's at both ends of the curve while women are far more likely to score average. It's not exactly secret knowledge buried deep in the Vatican library (although many would like it to be). IQ has a very high correlation to general life outcome, educational and professional achievement. I know you'd like to think that everyone is born a perfect little blank slate special snowflake but the reality isn't as comfy and cute.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/iq-est...college-major/

http://www.businessinsider.com/facts...q-2011-11?op=1
      Like I said previously, more males congregate along the more extreme ends of the spectrum, more males are genius than women, and more males are retarded than women. What does one conclude from that? I think the bits in the middle are more representative of the population and mean more.

So you've basically just brushed off any credible researcher with different attitudes to yours as a 'fembot' or 'PC marxist?!' You've just perfectly illustrated your irrational thinking.

Well obviously IQ is correlated with life achievement, because it's derived from real life aspects of intelligence. But there's a lot more to intelligence than IQ.

On a side note. I never feel more happy to be a woman, than when encountering guys like you on TSR, you seem so worried, it makes me feel as if women are finally ruling the world and you're scared ****less :rofl:
      I jest, ish.

ReputationRep:
      Like I said previously, more males congregate along the more extreme ends of the spectrum, more males are genius than women, and more males are retarded than women. What does one conclude from that? I think the bits in the middle are more representative of the population and mean more.

So you've basically just brushed off any credible researcher with different attitudes to yours as a 'fembot' or 'PC marxist?!' You've just perfectly illustrated your irrational thinking.

Well obviously IQ is correlated with life achievement, because it's derived from real life aspects of intelligence. But there's a lot more to intelligence than IQ.

On a side note. I never feel more happy to be a woman, than when encountering guys like you on TSR, you seem so worried, it makes me feel as if women are finally ruling the world and you're scared ****less :rofl:
      I jest, ish.
      So we agree. Then why are you surprised that the vast majority of high achievers in anything that requires brilliance and brain power are men? Why are all the founders of the top 20 biggest online sites all men? That Fields medal and Nobel science prize winners are almost all men? That almost all inventors and innovators are men? That there's never been a female world chess champion and the maths olympiad is a sausage fest? That the best surgeons, fashions designers, painters, composers, chefs anything else you can think of are men?

Yes, I'd be very doubtful of any professor who dismisses the sheer amount of empirical and scientific data that shows gender is very much related to biology. The academia is so left wing that the tiniest comment that relates to gender, religion, race, sexuality etc will have you instantly hanged, drawn and quartered, doesn't matter if you are the Harvard president or a Nobel prize winner. Everything has to fit in perfectly with the moral dictatorship of modern PCness or your career will be greatly affected or even finished. So yes, I will ignore anyone who is an ideologue first and a scientist second : you wouldn't want a geology lecture from a young earth creationist, would you?

And don't worry about the weaker sex running things : take a look at the Forbes billionaire list and a group photo of EU leaders or the US congress or the chinese politburo or the russian cabinet. Meanwhile, here's a photo of the state of the only confirmed matriarchy :

This is what happens when the sex that lacks extreme intelligence and testosterone is in charge. Which reminds me of another quote by the same wise woman I mentioned earlier : "If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts." Looks pretty spot on to me!

ReputationRep:
      I don't personally put my genius down to being male, had I been a woman I would probably have still have been a genius albeit perhaps not quite so much of a genius as I currently am.

ReputationRep:
      So we agree. Then why are you surprised that the vast majority of high achievers in anything that requires brilliance and brain power are men? Why are all the founders of the top 20 biggest online sites all men? That Fields medal and Nobel science prize winners are almost all men? That almost all inventors and innovators are men? That there's never been a female world chess champion and the maths olympiad is a sausage fest? That the best surgeons, fashions designers, painters, composers, chefs anything else you can think of are men?

Yes, I'd be very doubtful of any professor who dismisses the sheer amount of empirical and scientific data that shows gender is very much related to biology. The academia is so left wing that the tiniest comment that relates to gender, religion, race, sexuality etc will have you instantly hanged, drawn and quartered, doesn't matter if you are the Harvard president or a Nobel prize winner. Everything has to fit in perfectly with the moral dictatorship of modern PCness or your career will be greatly affected or even finished. So yes, I will ignore anyone who is an ideologue first and a scientist second : you wouldn't want a geology lecture from a young earth creationist, would you?

And don't worry about the weaker sex running things : take a look at the Forbes billionaire list and a group photo of EU leaders or the US congress or the chinese politburo or the russian cabinet. Meanwhile, here's a photo of the state of the only confirmed matriarchy :

This is what happens when the sex that lacks extreme intelligence and testosterone is in charge. Which reminds me of another quote by the same wise woman I mentioned earlier : "If civilization had been left in female hands we would still be living in grass huts." Looks pretty spot on to me!

Excuse me? When did I act surprised that males dominate the highest achievers? You must be dull, my first post in this thread said that males dominate the extreme. Like I said, more geniuses are males, but also more people with retarded intelligence are males, I like how you focus on the first bit, but ignore the latter

Hang on a second, I said there are more males who have a genius IQ, that doesn't mean that all those people you listed, online founders of websites, chefs, fashion designers have a genius IQ does it? So why are you attributing their success to their genius IQ, which you don't even know they have?

Gender is very much related to biology? Then show me some psychological papers please, illustrating the different brain structures of women and men, and how that relates to intelligence? And like I said, you are talking as if males in general are more intelligent than women, when in fact when you ignore the extreme ends of the spectrum, women actually perform slightly better than men. So what does biology say about that?

It's not about PCness, it's about having a respect for objectivity and science. The notion that intelligence differences in genders relate to biological factors alone, i.e brain structures, has been researched, but very inconclusive. I don't think you seem to know much about how science works? So every single professor in my department at my university, would disagree with you that gender differences in intelligence are only biologically based, but because you (ignorantly) disagree with them, you brush off their views entirely? Talk about confirmation bias and belief perseverance :rofl:
      No matter, how much evidence you are presented, because the evidence goes against your personal (sexist!) views, you'd brush it off, oh they're just PC warriors...

Being a good leader has nothing to do with having a genius IQ, in fact those with genius IQs tend to be lacking in other areas, such as leadership qualities. And you're also ignoring the fact that, there are more males who are genius, but there still are plenty of genius women.
      One day, and the day is fast approach. More women will be on that Forbes list, more women will be in power, and being genius has nothing to do with it, but simply they'll be encouraged just as much as males, to succeed in that way. And that day is fast approaching honey boo-boo, and it's highly evident, it makes you nervous.

ReputationRep:
      I've quoted loads but it's too much:

(Original post by Morganblue68)
      Would rep but I've run out for today

Mo
      Why do you think we should move on?

Presumably you're a female also.
      It's really funny that the moment you realise you were trying to preach psychology to a psychology undergrad who clearly knows a lot more than you do you resort to putting her down because of her gender, with snide remarks about showing her emotional side, or whatever. Like, **** you. Genuinely, **** you, you supreme knobhead. Your argument just fell apart and you still tried. I mean, points for effort but you're really ****ing thick.

I feel sorry for whoever ends up with a toerag like you.

Academia isn't left-wing; most academics are also male.

Marx talks about the two ways of undermining an argument; to loosely summarise, either through following the same argument and demonstrating the logic as incorrect, or proposing a new, radical theory altogether. The choice here is easy. You've ignored the elephant in the room; why are there no women in the top jobs in society? Because the people who decide who gets to the top, who gets that job premotion, are also all male. How can you ignore that?

If anything, your first paragraph is identical to the argument a women's rights activist could use; you've just completely ignored that for the blind assumption that women lack the same intelligence as men. As much as I hate her, Margaret Thatcher disproves your point entirely; it's no lie that she has had the most profound effect on the UK as leader.

It's telling that the efforts to fight the misogyny that women face have actually been successful in some respects, and have raised their profiles so much, that women aren't stupid. If you look at the MRA movement, they're ridiculed by both sexes, apart from their few, internet-trolling members. Feminism, outside of this forum, is a formidable force accepted by many, of all genders. A movement founded and led by women, it couldn't be successful, shurely?

Your photo is unimaginably thick. In any country, run by men or women, you have to have manual labourers, people who farm and create food, primary workers. It says nothing. There is no one true matriarchal country, only matriarchal societies.

I'll leave this for you:

So basically, if the man in a couple earns more he's most likely to have all the income, but if the woman earns more they're most likely to share it 50-50. Very few women earn 100%, but many men do.

http://thesocietypages.org/socimages...ng-matriarchy/ the source if you want to read.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.